2019 5* WR George Pickens Flips to UGA

ellitor

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yuuurrrrrp. All they have to do is point at Julio, Coop and now Ridley under Saban. 

And this is textbook evidence that no, we are NOT being too reactionary by wanting Gus gone. Probably not after this year, but after next year, definitely...give the pool of available hot coaches time to grow.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/8/2018 at 9:00 AM, bg5 said:

With the fans that we have (especially on this board) I don't know why anyone would want to come to Auburn. The team is not playing well but we don't have to continue to put them down and talk about coaching changes. That doesn't help in this day and age where recruits look at message boards. It's ok to be disappointed but if you truly want things to get better stop with the team and staff bashing. I wish some of you had contracts so I could buy you out.

If you think THIS board has negative posters, this must be the ONLY Auburn board you visit. 

This is the...least...negative Auburn board on the internet.

And the fans we have - have EVERY right to be upset. The only people who aren't upset don't pay much attention to football, and are A-OK to finish 6-6 on the season just as long as we run a clean program. Mediocrity seeped it's way into the older posters views. They were raised with mediocrity. They were raised in the day where Auburn was lucky to make a bowl game. And they think just ok is good enough for Auburn.

IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. IT IS NOT OK BEING COMPLACENT OR ACCEPTING ANYTHING LESS THAN THE BEST.

The 60s through the early 80s ruined a lot of you old heads. You got so used to losing that you think people complaining about losing is somehow a bad thing.

As far as Pickens goes,  before the season even started I would of been surprised if we hung on to him. Now, it would be like hitting the lottery keeping him. Now Justyn Ross and his comments make more sense, and looks like a good move on his part. I know that Nix and Pickens are close. I know they have talked about playing together for a while.  But that doesn't mean Pickens is stupid. It doesn't mean he is blind. I'm sure he will want some sort of assurances from the coaching staff, or there is very little chance we will get his signature. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If you think THIS board has negative posters, this must be the ONLY Auburn board you visit. 

And the fans we have - have EVERY right to be upset. The only people who aren't upset don't pay much attention to football, and are A-OK to finish 6-6 on the season just as long as we run a clean program. Mediocrity seeped it's way into the older posters views. They were raised with mediocrity. They were raised in the day where Auburn was lucky to make a bowl game. And they think just ok is good enough for Auburn.

IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. IT IS NOT OK BEING COMPLACENT OR ACCEPTING ANYTHING LESS THAN THE BEST.

The 60s through the early 80s ruined a lot of you old heads. You got so used to losing that you think people complaining about losing is somehow a bad thing.

As far as Pickens goes,  before the season even started I would of been surprised if we hung on to him. Now, it would be like hitting the lottery keeping him. Now Justyn Ross and his comments make more sense, and looks like a good move on his part. I know that Nix and Pickens are close. I know they have talked about playing together for a while.  But that doesn't mean Pickens is stupid. It doesn't mean he is blind. I'm sure he will want some sort of assurances from the coaching staff, or there is very little chance we will get his signature. 

df.gif

14 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Hey now hold your horses that's me your talking about and I can assure you I'm not happy. During the 60's and mid 70's was not that bad we had Jimmy and Tucker as well as Pat and Terry. 

And I know you said a lot not all us old farts:poke:

15 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This is the only board I go to and trust me it's enough. I do understand your point and fans do have the right to be angry and should be. It really bothers me when we lose but a few years ago I just let it upset me too much and decided getting that mad about a college football game was a little to much. It still bothers me but I have learned with age to not let it bother me as much. I just turned it off Saturday.  

1 hour ago, bg5 said:

This is the only board I go to and trust me it's enough. I do understand your point and fans do have the right to be angry and should be. It really bothers me when we lose but a few years ago I just let it upset me too much and decided getting that mad about a college football game was a little to much. It still bothers me but I have learned with age to not let it bother me as much. I just turned it off Saturday.  

You hit your point. I got there after LSU last year. Stopped getting mad and just accepted it as the inevitable. So now, I've found myself bringing facts vs emotion. Sure there are some emotional times. As far as recruiting goes, I hit it with Andrew Booth, this season. I'll check in how it's going and maybe make a post or two in recruiting, but I've taken a big step back since we missed on Booth to Clemson. Justyn Ross to Clemson almost did it last season, but Booth to Clemson did it for me. 

That being said, I really hope we hang on to Pickens, but I'll really be shocked if he did wind up signing with us. I just don't see how any big time receiver could look at what we are doing on offense and think... MAN, I WANT TO GO PLAY IN THAT OFFENSE. I dunno, maybe they are so sure of themselves they think they can step in and change everything. 

Also, what's the status of his grades? At one point he was considering changing schools because the other school had online courses he could use to catch up, and Hoover wound up creating their own online system to allow him to catch up. Anyone have any ideas how his academics are coming? @ellitor? You have any idea how his classes are coming? 

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Anyone have any ideas how his academics are coming? @ellitor?

The first semester of his senior year has not finished yet so there is no tangible change that can be reported. We probably won’t have any info on how he’s doing until closer to December

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 9:10 AM, augolf1716 said:

Hey now hold your horses that's me your talking about and I can assure you I'm not happy. During the 60's and mid 70's was not that bad we had Jimmy and Tucker as well as Pat and Terry. 

And I know you said a lot not all us old farts:poke:

I happen to be one of those old farts. I remember Mailon Kent coming off the  bench for an injured Sidle and upset the turds 10-8. I also remember under rated guys like Gusty Yearout, and his brother, Tommy, walkon Bobby Strickland who became an All SEC LB, Buddy McClinton who became an All American Safety, Alvin Bressler and Dick Schmalz who were pretty damn good wide receivers, not to mention Freddy Hyatt. Last but not least, who could ever forget the 72 Amazins? I know  I never will and their great come behind win over bama.

I know there are others whose names escape me, but even though we went through some lean times I know it's great to be an AUBURN TIGER. :yay:

I now return you to your regular programming. 

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

walkon Bobby Strickland who became an All SEC LB,

Strickland, even though he was all-SEC, was still under appreciated. He shoud be mentioned along with the very best LB's we've had at Auburn. The guy was a sure, punishing tackler and seemed to always where he needed to be.

I hated it when he got hurt when we were leading MSU 52-0. Ronnie Ross who came to Auburn as a LB but moved to TE was moved back to LB. to fill the void.You would later see why Ross was moved to TE. I remember Mike Neel shifted to Strong Side LB and that was when they finally stopped bama's offense in an IB game Auburn would overcome a 17-0 deficit to win 33-28. But you're right, Strickland was an under appreciated LB, as was Mike Neel.

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Good thing FSU got annihilated today.

Not worried about FSU. Bama having the most exciting offense in the country is what we need to keep our eye on. I mean if you were a recruit what offense would you wanna play in just taking off the orange and blue glasses? 

36 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Good thing FSU got annihilated today.

Didn't matter. FSU is not a serious threat here. It helped us with guys like Putnam & Deloach though.

33 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not worried about FSU. Bama having the most exciting offense in the country is what we need to keep our eye on. I mean if you were a recruit what offense would you wanna play in just taking off the orange and blue glasses? 

Bama per reporters & LSU per people close to George are the main threats.

46 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do hope that if Pickens jumps ship the Gus defenders will change their tune.

30 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You think after six seasons of supporting Gus, that an academic risk jumping ship is going to abruptly cause others to change their tune? Pickens has been a risk to flip somewhere since he started blowing up in the summer. Stop playing.

Hey Ellitor.....based on your gut feelings, do you think Pickens will stay with us?  I sure hope so!

On 10/9/2018 at 7:11 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen here in a while.  Do you really think older fans are ok with mediocrity?  How completely and utterly ridiculous.  Please stop trying to speak for everybody.

50 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen here in a while.  Do you really think older fans are ok with mediocrity?  How completely and utterly ridiculous.  Please stop trying to speak for everybody.

Some of them are, yes. Some are perfectly happy winning 8 games a season as long as we run a good squeaky clean program. I know this for a fact because I know them. They are long time doners. They have had season tickets since the 60s. And they would much rather just make a bowl game vs hiring someone who was concerned with winning and not breaking the rules, but walking right on the line. They say things like they would rather go 6-6 than hire a scumbag for a coach. They constantly talk about how bad it was under Barfield. And frequently remind me how it used to be a big deal for Auburn University to just make a bowl game. They say things like Auburn already has such a bad reputation in the media, that we are better off having a squeaky clean coach who is a saint vs someone who has questionable reputation with something that could of happened over a decade ago. I know multiple people that say these almost exact same things. So yeah. I am saying some who grew up in the days where Auburn was garbage are happy going to a bowl game, any bowl game vs having a coach that isn't a Christian Saint. Which at times means some are ok with mediocrity because they have seen Auburn football in much worse situations.

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Some of them are, yes. Some are perfectly happy winning 8 games a season as long as we run a good squeaky clean program. I know this for a fact because I know them. They are long time doners. They have had season tickets since the 60s. And they would much rather just make a bowl game vs hiring someone who was concerned with winning and not breaking the rules, but walking right on the line. They say things like they would rather go 6-6 than hire a scumbag for a coach. They constantly talk about how bad it was under Barfield. And frequently remind me how it used to be a big deal for Auburn University to just make a bowl game. They say things like Auburn already has such a bad reputation in the media, that we are better off having a squeaky clean coach who is a saint vs someone who has questionable reputation with something that could of happened over a decade ago. I know multiple people that say these almost exact same things. So yeah. I am saying some who grew up in the days where Auburn was garbage are happy going to a bowl game, any bowl game vs having a coach that isn't a Christian Saint. Which at times means some are ok with mediocrity because they have seen Auburn football in much worse situations.

I was in school when Barfield was there and even though it was bad I will never say Auburn was garbage. Not sure where you heard that or is that your opinion? When I was a radio listening, sports section reading, highlight watching kid then yes, I was good with Auburn just getting to a bowl. I have not talked to anyone in my age bracket who thinks that's good enough now. I'm one of the older guys on here but at this point if you aren't one of the  four left standing then you haven't accomplished anything. Auburn's coach doesn't need to be a Saint, just don't embarrass us on or off the field and I'm good to go. 

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Some of them are, yes. Some are perfectly happy winning 8 games a season

It doesn’t matter what fans are or aren’t happy with. Look up the winningest CFB teams of all time. The leaders have winning percentages just over 70%. That means if you averaged a 7-3 record over the past 100 years, you would be one of the top 5 programs of all time. Auburn’s ranking is in the mid teens at 63%. So historically, 8-4 records place you in the top  12 or so all time in winning percentages. Over 100 years, AU is a solid top 15 program. The down side is we aren’t in the top 5-10 historical echelon like we would all hope for. The upside is, while we are good for 8 wins a year over a span of years, we occasionally compete for SEC and National titles. Most schools can’t say that. I go into almost every year expecting AU to compete for the West title. I’m disappointed when we fall short, but 100 years of history is a pretty good marker of who we are. 

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

Other than a stubborn few on this site those people don’t exist.

11 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Hey Ellitor.....based on your gut feelings, do you think Pickens will stay with us?  I sure hope so!

I don’t go on gut much. I’ll tell you he’s still recruiting for AU and that’s a good sign for now.

16 hours ago, AUwent said:

If Pickens doesn't jump ship, will you whiners allow at least one or two threads on this forum to exist without sidetracking it with another boring "I hate Gus"  post?

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Other than a stubborn few on this site those people don’t exist.

You need to get out more.

Archived