2019 5* WR George Pickens Flips to UGA

ellitor

5 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Landing Haselwood would legit be a kick in the nuts to ole’ Kirbs

B3C75722-75DC-4678-BE92-07D79068E815.gif

Gus is on the right, just with longer hair....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George's Rivals Bump has already been calculated in the composite & OP is updated to reflect. He moved up to #51 overall from #94.

On 6/12/2018 at 4:52 PM, ellitor said:

George's Rivals Bump has already been calculated in the composite & OP is updated to reflect. He moved up to #51 overall from #94.

uat is coming after Picken's hard. Going to be a roller coaster ride with Picken's till the end if he continues to visit uat. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

uat is coming after Picken's hard. Going to be a roller coaster ride with Picken's till the end if he continues to visit uat. 

Could the staff have been told this by Pickens?  I just wonder if that is why we have been hard after the kid from Texas when we thought we were taking two WR's in this class.  I know there is always room for superior talent but would we take George, Haselwood, Curry, and Johnson.  I would love to keep Pickens and Johnson while adding Haselwood or Curry but I don't know about all 4 if we are signing 23 this year.

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

Could the staff have been told this by Pickens?  I just wonder if that is why we have been hard after the kid from Texas when we thought we were taking two WR's in this class.  I know there is always room for superior talent but would we take George, Haselwood, Curry, and Johnson.  I would love to keep Pickens and Johnson while adding Haselwood or Curry but I don't know about all 4 if we are signing 23 this year.

No. Pickens is still AU. But uat has made him a priority.

I don't think in the end we get Haselwood. So next up is Curry. Who is right there with Halswood. Curry is leaving Texas to play ball and it looks like AU is at the top right now. 

9 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Could the staff have been told this by Pickens?

Don't know about Bama speciifically but George made it crystal clear when he committed & since then he was going to take his visits.

WDE eloquently covered the rest.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't know about Bama speciifically but George made it crystal clear when he committed & since then he was going to take his visits.

WDE eloquently covered the rest.

Taking a visit is one thing. But I don't believe AU was told he would be frequently visiting uat.  AU has made it clear from the start that Pickens was the #1 tagert at WR and one of the most important recruits in this class. uat didn't till now. 

Taking a visit is one thing. But I don't believe AU was told he would be frequently visiting uat.  AU has made it clear from the start that Pickens was the #1 tagert at WR and one of the most important recruits in this class. uat didn't till now. 

10-4. TBH his commitment has bothered me & others who keep a moderate eye on commits on twitter. I can't remember the last time his twitter profile had anything Auburn in it. Odd for a kid committed to a school.

I'd like to have him on the team next year, but if he flips he flips.  With him being close to Cam and Bo and developing that chemistry during the summer I find it hard to believe that he'd jump ship.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

10-4. TBH his commitment has bothered me & others who keep a moderate eye on commits on twitter. I can't remember the last time his twitter profile had anything Auburn in it. Odd for a kid committed to a school.

Especially such an early commit and one who we somewhat "discovered". 

9 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I'd like to have him on the team next year, but if he flips he flips.  With him being close to Cam and Bo and developing that chemistry during the summer I find it hard to believe that he'd jump ship.

Cam's not steering his 7 on 7 kids to AU FWIW.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's not what I was meaning.  Just that being around him and his love of AU should rub off on George, and the chemistry that he's built with Bo.

3 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

Just that being around him and his love of AU should rub off on George,

Not necessarily. Supposedly George is recruiting for AU though so we'll see.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Same can be said for Cadillac is not steering kids from IMG to AU either.

6 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Same can be said for Cadillac is not steering kids from IMG to AU either.

True.

Cadillac and Cam are honorable men who went to Auburn. It would be a disservice to the kids they coach to push Auburn just because they went there. That said the kids know they went to Auburn and that they both love Auburn.  The fact that the kids know they love Auburn is important and will help but I believe if all things are equal between Auburn and another school that would probably make a difference.  If a kid is talented but his skill set does not fit the Auburn offense or defense I believe both would be honest and tell the kid that.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gus has talked to those guys and said that he doesn't necessarily want them steering kids. The staff has hit on something with the "being real" approach. A lot of kids have responded to our approach because it differs from a lot of the heavy-handed tactics out there. At least that's what keeps popping up in interviews. And that's not to say that our guys aren't working just as hard as the other staffs out there. Our approach is different and it's working. Anyway, you have to assume Cam and Gus have spoken about it and I'm sure Caddy has chatted with Gus, too. 

5 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

The Pickens recruitment is legit gonna be the most stressful one of this cycle.

If true, then I'm going to enjoy this cycle. I realize this kid is really good, but I just can't lose sleep over any WR's whims until this offense makes some big changes in how it coaches and uses the position. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

If true, then I'm going to enjoy this cycle. I realize this kid is really good, but I just can't lose sleep over any WR's whims until this offense makes some big changes in how it coaches and uses the position. 

Yup, was super excited when we landed NCM.  He had 13 catches last year..

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gus has talked to those guys and said that he doesn't necessarily want them steering kids. The staff has hit on something with the "being real" approach. A lot of kids have responded to our approach because it differs from a lot of the heavy-handed tactics out there. At least that's what keeps popping up in interviews. And that's not to say that our guys aren't working just as hard as the other staffs out there. Our approach is different and it's working. Anyway, you have to assume Cam and Gus have spoken about it and I'm sure Caddy has chatted with Gus, too. 

I do agree with you for the most part.  What I have seen in the past is kids say all the right things you want to hear after visiting and talk about how high Auburn is on the list only to never take the next step and commit.  I feel like sometimes we are too laid back at times and the kids cave under pressure from other staffs.  We have a very nice pool of talent that holds Auburn in high regard.  We just need them to take the next step.  If Booth or some of these other guys pull the trigger I will feel much better.  I would have to say right now my biggest wants are Booth, Cain, another stud LB, and some high level OT's.  Just like any fan of any school I guess lol.

20 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Cadillac and Cam are honorable men who went to Auburn. It would be a disservice to the kids they coach to push Auburn just because they went there. That said the kids know they went to Auburn and that they both love Auburn.  The fact that the kids know they love Auburn is important and will help but I believe if all things are equal between Auburn and another school that would probably make a difference.  If a kid is talented but his skill set does not fit the Auburn offense or defense I believe both would be honest and tell the kid that.

Cam raves about Auburn to his kids. He doesn't push them anywhere but he does talk AU up. No clue on Caddy. 

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What? Cam loves Gus. Why wouldn't you want a generational player talking you up to prospective players. I'm pretty sure Gus hasn't asked Cam not to do this. 

I don't believe Gus has any kind of relationship with Caddy.  

What? Cam loves Gus. Why wouldn't you want a generational player talking you up to prospective players. I'm pretty sure Gus hasn't asked Cam not to do this. 

I don't believe Gus has any kind of relationship with Caddy.  

I know Cam loves Gus. Don't think I said anything that suggests otherwise.

And of course Cam is going to be honest and say that he loved and still loves Auburn, and he'll tell players that Gus is a great coach and that Auburn is an awesome place to be. I was thinking of "steering" as being a little more aggressive than that.

And maybe I'm believing too much of what I read, but every single comment from every recruit goes back to a theme of Auburn being different because the coaches are more laid back and real and family and they don't pressure you and blah blah blah. Our showcase recruiting event is based entirely around not talking about football too much. 

So it wouldn't surprise me if Gus and Cam had a talk about not being too heavy handed with the "steering".

As for Caddy, wasn't he on campus just a couple weeks ago?

I hope we retain this guy. The thought of a talented 6ft 5in tall wide receiver seems like a  big deal. What are we pitching these guys. Stidham has 1 year left (likely). What are we telling our receiving corps about our plans for the future? With 2 dual threat qbs coming up, does this limit our recruiting messaging?

Archived