2019 5* WR George Pickens Flips to UGA

ellitor

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I did have OFC stand for Old Farts Club but changed it at the last minute.

Good call. No need to call Brown and Grimes old farts... ;D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good call. No need to call Brown and Grimes old farts... ;D

Nice catch. Would be kind of redundant.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Nice catch. Would be kind of redundant.

Haha... well... the actual joke was the other old guy I left out.

Image result for donald sutherland kelly's heroes

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Haha... well... the actual joke was the other old guy I left out.

Image result for donald sutherland kelly's heroes

Ah! I thought you meant farts can be brown & grimey. lol

Back to George, I think we are still fine right now. Just enjoying the process. Everyone likes attention and the more you move up the more you get.

1 minute ago, bg5 said:

Back to George, I think we are still fine right now. Just enjoying the process. Everyone likes attention and the more you move up the more you get.

And it's a special opportunity most of these kids wouldn't get otherwise. If I was a recruit committed to AU I would take all the visits to other places I could 1 time & some 2 times. I would also go to every camp I could cuz I love to ball & compete.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I did have OFC stand for Old Farts Club but changed it at the last minute.

Should have kept it Old Farts club but still not bad.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

And it's a special opportunity most of these kids wouldn't get otherwise. If I was a recruit committed to AU I would take all the visits to other places I could 1 time & some 2 times. I would also go to every camp I could cuz I love to ball & compete.

Hell back in the days of unlimited trips we went to AU 6 times, bammer 4, UT 3, Ole Miss 4, Ohio St 1, and Wake Forest 2 all paid for. Great food great girls and lots of parties. oh my

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Hell back in the days of unlimited trips we went to AU 6 times, bammer 4, UT 3, Ole Miss 4, Ohio St 1, and Wake Forest 2 all paid for. Great food great girls and lots of parties. oh my

You mean Golf recruits get paid for & treated like kings too?

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

You mean Golf recruits get paid for & treated like kings too?

No especially back then. I've told the story many times on the board my best friend in high school was the #1 running back in the south and I went on all his recruiting trips I did not mention all the schools, too many, that we only visited once. I even got money sometimes on the trips just not his kind of money. 

As for golf recruiting back then it was getting phones calls, letters asking you to visit and they would help out with gas and food. Sometimes if the coach was near my home town he would come by. The trips to The OSU/Wake Forest worked out great for me cause both of those schools had great golf teams. I could combine the visit and all costs were covered because I went with him. Jack Nicklaus played at OSU and Arnold Palmer played at Wake

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

No especially back then. I've told the story many times on the board my best friend in high school was the #1 running back in the south and I went on all his recruiting trips I did not mention all the schools, too many, that we only visited once. I even got money sometimes on the trips just not his kind of money. 

I'm going to start a gofundme to finance your memoirs. I just need you to agree to write them. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I'm going to start a gofundme to finance your memoirs. I just need you to agree to write them. 

Can you read hieroglyphics?

Clearly I am behind the curve with my Twitter game haha. As long as we aren’t acting foolish like some of these other SEC fans.

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Put me down for a plug nickel...

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Put me down for 1 Aureus Denarius.

Watch: George Pickens dazzles for Cam Newton’s 7-on-7 team

Keith Niebuhr

SNELLVILLE, Ga., — It wasn’t that long ago George Pickens had a three-star ranking. Today, he’s a top-100 recruit and in venue after venue the 4-star Auburn commitment from Hoover (Ala.) continues to shine.

As his ranking has risen, so has his national profile.

How good is the 6-feet-3.5, 195-pound Pickens?

We asked someone who would know. That’s 5-star Georgia commit Jadon Haselwood of Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove. Haselwood not only is the No. 1 receiver nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, he is Pickens’ teammate on the seven-on-seven squad coached by Auburn legend and current Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton. Some of Pickens’ catches have made even Haselwood shake his head in disbelief.

“I mean, you’ve seen it yourself,” Haselwood said.

Is Pickens, the No. 15 receiver in the country, as good as Haselwood? That was a question Haselwood couldn’t answer because, as he put it, “We’re different types of receivers.”

Pickens, at least when compared to other top-flight 2019 receivers across the country, isn’t what you’d call a burner. But he’s not slow either. He ran a 4.74-second 40-yard dash in March at The Atlanta Opening Regional. That might not seem overly impressive, but consider his size — and the fact it was 43 degrees and wet when he tested that morning-- and all of a sudden his time looks a little better.

Yet, what really stands out are his frame and his hands. Not only is he tall, Pickens has long arms. In Atlanta, his vertical leap was measured at 28.1 inches, really just an average jump. But when you watch him play in person and see his highlights, he appears to jump much higher -- and that's probably because of his length. Additionally, most of the passes thrown his way end up in his hands, which probably are the strength of his game. After the catch, he also does some good stuff, as evidenced by a long touchdown in his spring game a couple weeks ago.

Put it all together and you have a receiver that has become a matchup nightmare for opposing teams, be it during 11-on-11 or seven-on-seven.

What can Pickens work on moving forward: Well, getting off the line of scrimmage a little quicker probably would be the biggest thing right now.

As teams, notably Alabama, continue to recruit Pickens, the Tigers will have to work hard to keep him in the class.

Auburn was in on Pickens early and it paid off. One reason for that is because the Tigers have known about him for years. Pickens’ older brother, defensive back Chris Humes, played at Spain Park (Ala.) when Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey was that program’s head coach. He signed with Arkansas State, whose coach at that time was Gus Malzahn, now at Auburn.

Last summer, Pickens camped with the Tigers in June and earned an offer are making several eye-opening catches. A month later, he became Auburn’s first 2019 commitment. At the time, he still was only known regionally.

During the fall, Pickens helped lead Hoover to a state title with several big performances.

This year, he has been a stalwart for Newton’s seven-on-seven squad, which also includes Auburn quarterback commit Bo Nix. Newton, in fact, has told some around the program he thinks Pickens might be the best receiver in the country.

12COMMENTS

This weekend, Pickens competed with Newton’s team near Atlanta. Both he and Haselwood played at an extremely high level. Pickens dazzled with leaping catches. Haselwood, who Auburn continues to heavily recruit, did what he always does, which is get open, make terrific catches and score touchdowns.

Man I hope we keep this guy. 

10 hours ago, fredst said:

Man I hope we keep Pickens and get Haselwood ?!

62F5EA3B-0677-4938-967D-31BCDB88C025.jpeg

Archived