welcome back Jeff

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Not everybody talk trash and what guy that is good now has a hype man personality? Jordan and Kobe didn't either. 

And the reason there was so much coverage was because there hasn't been a draft class this good in at least 10 years. Which I also mentioned it would be like this which is why people saying things about Herron leaving were laughable

You're talking about Lonzo and comparing him to Kobe and Michael Jordan though.

Lonzo is a tall PG that can rebound and deliver the mail but he isn't and won't be near the scorer that MJ and Kobe was. He may average a triple double but the ppg total will be closer to 10 than 20. 

The draft may have been good, but it's still the summer league lol. It's the equivalent of NCAA spring training as it is completely pointless. Many players have done well in summer league. A lot of those said players have yet to do well in the Association. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm comparing him not acting like a fool to Kobe and Jordan. Said nothing about his game like them. My point was showing two of the greatest and most marketable players of all time weren't happy go lucky attitude types. 

And of course you can pull players that did well in the summer league and not the NBA, and I could pull players that did well in the league and are the best players in the league now....if it was pointless they wouldn't have it. It's just something YOU don't care for. It's actually essential especially for 1 and 2 year players

59 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm comparing him not acting like a fool to Kobe and Jordan. Said nothing about his game like them. My point was showing two of the greatest and most marketable players of all time weren't happy go lucky attitude types. 

And of course you can pull players that did well in the summer league and not the NBA, and I could pull players that did well in the league and are the best players in the league now....if it was pointless they wouldn't have it. It's just something YOU don't care for. It's actually essential especially for 1 and 2 year players

Kobe and MJ weren't social butterflies but they also performed at elite levels against elite competition. Lonzo doesn't have to be a social media sensation either. He just has to prove himself on the court against elite competition. If the summer league is composed of rookies and D League scrubs that are fighting for a spot, I'd reasonably expect Lonzo to do well. He can rebound and his passes are beautiful. His offense is average for the NBA but it will get better. I think Lonzo is going to do well in the NBA but I just don't think he will be a superstar. 

Lavar is gifted and Lonzo has benefitted from Lavar's calculated but loud mouth hype by getting the fame and attention early on. I never even knew of Lonzo until after I heard of Lavar as a matter of fact. 

You talk as if the only reason lonzo got attention is because of his dad,  and that's funny. If you didn't hear of him you just didn't follow basketball closely. He's the closest thing to a Jason Kidd since Kidd retired, and there is no way he's not going to be a star barring injury. UCLA sucked before he got there and he impacted that team that much. His roster for this summer league sucked, they were picked to finish sixth place and they won the whole thing. He's a winner and he makes everybody on his team better. 

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

You talk as if the only reason lonzo got attention is because of his dad

Lonzo had a reality TV show while he was still in college thanks to his dad. Fultz is the number one pick and he didn't and hasn't received a third of the coverage that Lonzo has. Not to mention that Lavar was already making bold predictions about UCLA and attracting a bunch of reporters before UCLA's season even started. When Lavar guaranteed a UCLA championship in the preseason, that's when I started paying attention. 

The summer league coverage had a lot to do with Lonzo Ball than the depth of the draft class as well. Lonzo received most of the summer league headlines after all. Not to mention that ESPN has never dedicated so much time to discuss summer league basketball. Not even when Lebron, Curry, Harden, etc had to go through it. 

I disagree. Lonzo will be a "star" in the sense that he's the PG of the Lakers but he won't be a superstar. His offense needs work and his defense is atrocious. He very well could be Jason Kidd-like but hell, RW just averaged a triple double for the whole regular season and RW is nowhere near a winner. 

Legitimately enjoying the back in forth on Ball. I'm not an NBA fan, so I'm actually learning something. Is Ball's defense as bad as Jeff says? Also, I thought his dad was the most obnoxious person a few months ago. Now I think he might be a genius. 

21 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Legitimately enjoying the back in forth on Ball. I'm not an NBA fan, so I'm actually learning something. Is Ball's defense as bad as Jeff says? Also, I thought his dad was the most obnoxious person a few months ago. Now I think he might be a genius. 

He has already given up several SC highlight worthy opposing dunks just in the Summer League. He is below average when he has to guard 1 on 1 against players equally as athletic or stronger. He just has slow feet. Zone defenses help disguise his slow feet. Here is a good gif illustrating his feet. 

imagegif

Lavar is certainly a genius. He knew what he was doing when he made preposterous claims like he could've beaten MJ one on one. Everybody questioned whether he would be a cancer to the NBA team that Lonzo was drafted to.However, it turns out that Lavar already told Magic Johnson that the publicity was all just a show, and that he will be hands off whenever he plays for the Lakers . So in reality, all he was doing was hyping Lonzo. And it worked. Lonzo is the most anticipated rookie in a decade probably and it's not even close.

I just don't think he will be the franchise changing player that people thinks he will be. He may average 15-10-10 a game but is that going to carry the Lakers? Probably not. And his unwillingness to shoot 2 point jumpers at UCLA should be a concern for whenever he does the pick and roll in the NBA. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

We need to change that about you fam!!! NBA is the best soap opera in sports. Year round the drama surrounding the association never stops. Football is DEAD during the offseason for the most part besides the draft. NO ONE does excitement in pro sports like the NBA so many juicy storylines.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We need to change that about you fam!!! NBA is the best soap opera in sports. Year round the drama surrounding the association never stops. Football is DEAD during the offseason for the most part besides the draft. NO ONE does excitement in pro sports like the NBA so many juicy storylines.

Man, I enjoy watching the finals. Regular season ball is just boring to me. I think if I had a team to root for, I might find myself more interested than I am. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Man, I enjoy watching the finals. Regular season ball is just boring to me. I think if I had a team to root for, I might find myself more interested than I am. 

Come on over to the Charlotte Hornets, we have enough room on our bandwagon for now until Steph Curry "comes home" after his gazillion dollar contract is up

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Offseason with free agency will keep you entertained throughout. Find a favorite player. Does not even have to be a team. Pro sports are about the players more so than the teams. At least that is how I use my fandom for pro sports. Probaly I never had any pro teams growing up in alabama. I am only invested in 1 player for the NBA but that carries a lot of weight and makes me root and be fans of the rest of his teammates for whatever team he is on and I watch every game that I can of him. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Offseason with free agency will keep you entertained throughout. Find a favorite player. Does not even have to be a team. Pro sports are about the players more so than the teams. At least that is how I use my fandom for pro sports. Probaly I never had any pro teams growing up in alabama. I am only invested in 1 player for the NBA but that carries a lot of weight and makes me root and be fans of the rest of his teammates for whatever team he is on and I watch every game that I can of him. 

Alright, let's find me a player. 

I usually pay no attention to the NBA but I did enjoy the Lavar Ball show after the Kentucky game.....

And rather than being a genius he is modern personification of old PT Barnum who said that there is a sucker born every minute.....and seems that a good many of them are found on NBA talk shows and LB knew where to find them. .

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Better make it a superstar. I tried the whole trying to be a big fan of a role player with marquis daniels and it is frustrating as heck when they go up and down the court 7 times and he does not touch the ball! lol You need excitement! You need flash! you need thunderous rim rocking dunks you need THE BRODIE! You Need the mvp! YOU NEED RUSSELL WESTBROOK!!! WOOOOO!!!! MR TRIPLE DOUBLE HIMSELF! 

27 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

You can't go wrong with Kwahi Leonard. He is old school, he plays defense very hard for a superstar, and his skills are very well-rounded. He is well liked by his peers as well. Oh, and he plays for coach Pop. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

You can't go wrong with Kwahi Leonard. He is old school, he plays defense very hard for a superstar, and his skills are very well-rounded. He is well liked by his peers as well. Oh, and he plays for coach Pop. 

You might of just named the 1 guy in the league with a more boring personality than lonzo lmao! But at least he is a superstar.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You might of just named the 1 guy in the league with a more boring personality than lonzo lmao! But at least he is a superstar.

He is boring personality wise but he is perfect for coach Pop though. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He is boring personality wise but he is perfect for coach Pop though. 

if you are a middle age white guy (no clue what barnacle is) he is the perfect player to like as well in your fandom! lol NOOOOOOOOOT that there is anything wrong with that! lol cUvCqhO.gif

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

if you are a middle age white guy (no clue what barnacle is) he is the perfect player to like as well in your fandom! lol NOOOOOOOOOT that there is anything wrong with that! lol cUvCqhO.gif

I turned 30 on Saturday. So, actually, I think I'm officially a middle-aged white guy. 

52 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I'm thinking the older crowd can dig his all around game actually. He plays selfless on both sides of the floor, including hard defense. Of course, defense is what the older crowd always bemoans about the current NBA.

43 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

:angry::-\

What are they teaching kids in school today ?    30 = middle age?   :-\ ....no wonder we can't balance the budget.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I'm thinking the older crowd can dig his all around game actually. He plays selfless on both sides of the floor, including hard defense. Of course, defense is what the older crowd always bemoans about the current NBA.

Middle age is the older crowd still to me even at 27! haha

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Middle age is the older crowd still to me even at 27! haha

True, anything past 21 is headed down hill for real. Thank God I can look forward to that senior cup discount at Jacks at 55.

Archived