****2018 3* Safety/Star Josh Marsh commits to Auburn!!!

Maverick.AU

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

Remember the Ellis Johnson 4-2-5?

Link

Nevermind you answered my question. I thought it was Ellis...So we're bringing it back..? Because I don't remember us using someone like that since he left but we have still been using 4-2-5.

This guy is a pure football player.  Seems to play within the scheme and knows his reads quickly.  Solid hard nosed player that has a good skill set.  If you can't appreciate a player like this then I'm not sure what you like about football except the winning part.  There's a heck of a lot more to football then winning which I think this kid can help us do a lot.  

For the disappointed star gazers... there have been 2 dominating teams in all aspects of the game from AU in my life time.  1988 and 2004.  The 2004 team had a sprinkling of 4 stars but the vast majority were 3 and 2 stars.  3 star players are legit SEC level players.  Now do you want an entire roster of 3's nope but this is definitely not a wasted scholarship. 

• Like 9

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Thought that was only Incorporated when muschamp was here..Or was it Ellis Johnson? Anyways...How does this affect recruiting? Can we still take 2 more regular linebackers and have him play lb from time to time and mostly safety?

It was Ellis as 57 said and is the same position Boom called Nickel when he was here. The recruiting doesn't & hasn't changed. We are and have been running the 4-2-5 for years since offenses started opening up formations. We remain using it 75-80% of the time in a game with the 5 in a 4-2-5 usually being a hybrid.

I was right in my theory post earlier. Marsh doesn't affect LB recruiting at all. We will still take 2 true LBs and 1-2 Bucks which is a Rush End/LB hybrid. Marsh will likely have his own position as a hybrid much like Darrell Williams & Monty Atkinson has done often times.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 3

I would not be shocked to see Josh put on 20-25 pounds in the next year or so. 

What he has in droves is just natural instinct. He makes the tackles, but he is a really nice pick pocket interception guy.

Two things I would be shocked of:
1) Josh getting in real trouble. His Dad fights UFC and is tough as nails.
2) Unless he gets injured, he will almost certainly be at Auburn for 4 years. He is solid as a rock.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

3* U

Good thing our staff doesn't think the same way you do 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I would not be shocked to see Josh put on 20-25 pounds in the next year or so. 

What he has in droves is just natural instinct. He makes the tackles, but he is a really nice pick pocket interception guy.

Two things I would be shocked of:
1) Josh getting in real trouble. His Dad fights UCF and is tough as nails.
2) Unless he gets injured, he will almost certainly be at Auburn for 4 years. He is solid as a rock.

IV has to be the meanest preacher I know!  He played at UNA and maybe Jax st too? Very physical dude. I don't think he even liked football it was just a way to trade painful blows. Not surprised he fights ufc but hadn't heard it before. I graduated HS with him but haven't seen him a lot lately. Dkw86 is spot on. There is not a better kid anywhere to be found for auburn. He might still grow an inch or two as well.  Very happy about this. Not a bit surprised. This is not just an offer for a good camp, he's been a tackling machine for two years. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

His Dad fights UCF and is tough as nails.

Why would his dad fight Central Florida & how does that work being from Northern Alabama?

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Why would his dad fight Central Florida & how does that work being from Northern Alabama?

Dad has a pilot's license and flies his own F-4 Phantom to and from Central Florida. Dad also whupped Wade Christopher in table tennis. Need I say more?

Now, I like this newest member to our team. If our coaches think he's a solid LB prospect, what more is there to be concerned about? I'll bet we don't see this one playing "matador defense" and dodging ball carriers.

• Like 5

I feel really good about this recruit for a couple of reasons. First, our current staff has some excellent talent evaluators on it. We all know the kind of work T Will is doing, and guys like KS, GB, and RG don't float offers just to fill spots. They know what they are looking for and apparently JM impressed them. Second, the kid has some serious measurables. Even factoring for hand held versus electronic 40 times, not many kids clock a 4.4 at our camps. I've seen several pics of the the kid and he is shredded. Malzahn is a big dude and in the pic where they are standing together he more than holds his own. Welcome aboard Mr. Marsh, and thanks for being a lifelong AU fan! WDE

Edited by Gowebb11

Not sure his 4.41 timing is completely accurate. Even if it is not, he has elite speed for either the safety position and even better as a LB. JMO, I would rather him stay the size he is and keep all his speed and cover skills and play safety. Kid loves AU, has a good skill set and will give 120%. Gotta love this commitment.

• Like 1

I like that we seem to be getting more "good hitters" on defense.  Nothing better than making an offense keep their head on a swivel when the cross the middle of the field. That is what Auburn used to be on defense.  A tough, blue-collar defense that was not afraid to hit you in the mouth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Sorry, UFC, it was late and I am an old man. <headslap>

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Seems no change of tindall to SC either. Guy wants to be at AU and is a hard nosed guy with good instincts. Sometimes you have to take chances on those guys not just the guys that are rated higher. Marsh seems like the type of guy you want at AU. If Twill gave the ok on him I feel pretty good about it

Jovon Robinson
Rashad Kennion
Landon Rice
Stanton Truitt

Cam Toney
Deon Mix
Markell Boston
Tyler Queen
Woody Barrett
Marlon Character
Antruan Jackson                                                                      Not sure without looking these guys up, which were 4&5* recruits but whatever they were they ultimately did not want to he at Auburn. Now I will take a guy who wants to be at Auburn and plays with heart and lays it all on the line when he's on the field any day of the week. He's been dreaming of this since he was 3? Pretty sure he won't be getting homesick and have to leave and I'm betting he won't be discouraged by competition and having to earn a position. Glad to get players like Marsh anytime we can. War Eagle. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 3

Just for fun here. At church, before the AU Offer, you could hear the staff and some of the members walking around the Epic campus holding up their hands and saying "Hook'em Horns!" As soon AU made the offer, it was over.

Edited by DKW 86

14 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Jovon Robinson
Rashad Kennion
Landon Rice
Stanton Truitt
Carl Lawson

Cam Toney
Deon Mix
Markell Boston
Tyler Queen
Woody Barrett
Marlon Character
Antruan Jackson                                                                      Not sure without looking these guys up, which were 4&5* recruits but whatever they were they ultimately did not want to he at Auburn. Now I will take a guy who wants to be at Auburn and plays with heart and lays it all on the line when he's on the field any day of the week. He's been dreaming of this since he was 3? Pretty sure he won't be getting homesick and have to leave and I'm betting he won't be discouraged by competition and having to earn a position. Glad to get players like Marsh anytime we can. War Eagle. 

Carl Lawson was at AU for 4 years and is one of the best ambassadors for AU I can remember, on and off the field. Not sure why he is on your list. 

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

Carl Lawson was at AU for 4 years and is one of the best ambassadors for AU I can remember, on and off the field. Not sure why he is on your list. 

I was about to say the same thing.

He does not belong in that list. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I thought we were done with this STAR stuff. What is that anyway exactly?

Rudy Ford's position

10 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I'm pretty pumped about this guy and everyone else should be too

Kid reminds me of Jack Ganus from Birmingham.  Attended UAB and when they disbanded football he needed a place to land.  Auburn fans and unfortunately Auburn coaches didn't want him because he wasn't big enough and didn't carry enough stars.  He ended up starting for GA and being their on the field defensive coach.  I think we just landed a diamond in the rough.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I thought I deleted him from the list. My bad. I had pasted it before and it came out wrong. Repasted and forgot. Thanks for pointing out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

I was about to say the same thing.

He does not belong in that list. 

Corrected above. See response to @Gowebb11 definitely not my original intent. 

If TWill is on board with him and he plays like his new coach (who he seems to be very much like physique/skills wise) I think everyone should be thrilled. Add that he's a lifelong AU fan....what's not to like? WDE Josh!