Breakout Players in 2017

ClaytonAU

Back again with another thread! Who are your breakout players for 2017? On offense, defense, or both? 

On offense: I think my pick is Darius Slayton he's got all the tangibles to be great. Stidham along with the new offense will be able to showcase his talent. Great hands, fast, tall and will be a big red zone threat.

On defense: Javarius Davis, the CB no one is talking about but they should be. He's got a nose for the ball, positions himself well, and he's faster than most. 

Those are my two guys, what about you guys? 

I need Trigga Tray to finally step up and be the player I know he is capable of being . On the offensive side of the ball , I am hoping KJ can stay healthy and be a big time impact player . We need it. Also, NCM will be the most impactful WR this year . Calling it now. 

By breakout,  I assume you mean players that didn't make an impact in 2016,so I got to go with Stidham and NCM on O and Coe and Cowart on D.

I'll say NCM on offense. I think he's going to have a great season along with Slayton. On defense, I'm really hoping Paul James III can be a difference maker coming off the edge. I also have really high hopes for Nick Coe.

Good picks guys!!!

O = Stidham and NCM or Slayton, sleeper Malik Miller or KMart (emerges in mop up duty)

D = PJ3, Cowart, and Coe   Sleeper = TD Moultry

ST = I think Whitlow is a good pick here. I would love for us to have an elite return man!

On offense I am split on Nate Craig-Meyers and Kerryon Johnson.  We have not seen Nate at full speed with the exception of the spring game.  I expect great things from him.  This is the first spring Kerryon Johnson has been able to go through full speed.  This has enabled him to bulk up and be more durable.  Expect Pettway to have more breathing time.  Wild card is Will Hastings.  Small and shifty, and able to be a good check valve.  

Defense I will choose Jerimiah Dinson.  His freshmen year he really impressed me.  He was improving every game until that blindside that ended his freshmen campaign.  All reports I have seen says he is full go and looking better than ever.  My wild card is Jamel Dean.  With his length, linebacker body, and 4.28 speed, he can turn heads.  

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Back again with another thread! Who are your breakout players for 2017? On offense, defense, or both? 

On offense: I think my pick is Darius Slayton he's got all the tangibles to be great. Stidham along with the new offense will be able to showcase his talent. Great hands, fast, tall and will be a big red zone threat.

On defense: Javarius Davis, the CB no one is talking about but they should be. He's got a nose for the ball, positions himself well, and he's faster than most. 

Those are my two guys, what about you guys? 

Offense: I also think Slayton can be our breakout player.

Defense: Cowart

53 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Coe is going to make y'all forget about Lawson.

NCM 

Jamal Dean

Really now? What makes you so confident?

I agree with a lot the names already mentioned so I'll say:

O - Ryan Davis, i envision him working the quick screens, drags, and quick outs well with Stidham at the helm.

D - Derrick Brown, the uber talented sophomore becomes a household name.

ST - Ian Shannon, we need him to step up and he delivers.

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Really now? What makes you so confident?

Coe has more range ( he is 6,6). He is also a former state champ in heavyweight wrestling, so he will have all kinds of balance and leverage. He will bring it 

23 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Marquis McClain offense.

Byron Cowart defense.

Whitlow special teams.

McClain probably won't see much playing time.

12 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

I agree with a lot the names already mentioned so I'll say:

O - Ryan Davis, i envision him working the quick screens, drags, and quick outs well with Stidham at the helm.

D - Derrick Brown, the uber talented sophomore becomes a household name.

ST - Ian Shannon, we need him to step up and he delivers.

Our offense wont be very good if Ryan Davis is our breakout player. 

21 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Our offense wont be very good if Ryan Davis is our breakout player. 

What makes you say that? I think he's the most electric guy we have in space (#freeKMart). Go back and watch some of his runs after the catch last season. I thought @ValleyTiger was spot on.

Love all the mentions of NCM and Cowart.

I don't know if Coe will make us forget Lawson, but I do believe that we will get more pressure off the edge than we've had since Dee Ford. I think we might have more athleticism and depth at DE and Buck than we've had since... I don't remember when. Davidson, Coe, Holland, James... they might all be NFL guys. 

I don't know if Tre Williams solidifying himself as an All SEC LB would qualify as him "breaking out", but that's what I'm looking for from him. 

Has there been talk of Iggy returning kicks/punts?

I like Ryan Davis. He's got good speed and gets up field quickly

I hope to see Paul James III and Jamel Dean to have a breakout years on D

On O, Stove and Davis seem built to succeed in an air-raid screen heavy pass attack I could see them putting up some good numbers and breaking out. But I think all of our WRs have breakout potential this year. NCM looks like he can be a stud, Kyle Allen has proven he can make crazy catches, Slayton may be the most under-the-radar gifted WR we have...

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

What makes you say that? I think he's the most electric guy we have in space (#freeKMart). Go back and watch some of his runs after the catch last season. I thought @ValleyTiger was spot on.

Love all the mentions of NCM and Cowart.

I don't know if Coe will make us forget Lawson, but I do believe that we will get more pressure off the edge than we've had since Dee Ford. I think we might have more athleticism and depth at DE and Buck than we've had since... I don't remember when. Davidson, Coe, Holland, James... they might all be NFL guys. 

I don't know if Tre Williams solidifying himself as an All SEC LB would qualify as him "breaking out", but that's what I'm looking for from him. 

Has there been talk of Iggy returning kicks/punts?

Because if Ryan Davis is truly our breakout star, that means our offense will be relying on a bunch of dunk passes instead of being an elite team that can  truly stretch the field.  

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

Because if Ryan Davis is truly our breakout star, that means our offense will be relying on a bunch of dunk passes instead of being an elite team that can  truly stretch the field.  

Ahh, okay, I agree with that.

Different interpretations of the OP. I tend to interpret it as "guys who seriously step up their game from last season and who are meaningful contributors". I don't think Davis will be our primary receiver, but I could easily see him going from 25 catches for 194 yards last year to at least double that production this year, with some serious wow plays and maybe a few meaningful touchdowns along the way. Jalen Harris could replicate Davis's stats from last year and I would call him a breakout player. 

Past examples of breakout players for me would be McCalebb in 2010 and Carlton Davis in 2015- guys who were major contributors but who weren't exactly the primary cogs in their respective units. 

A guy who could satisfy both our definitions, I think, will be NCM. 

Too many to say. Hopeful for so many of them.  Just want the entire passing game to breakout. That requires multiple players and positions to improve. O- line pass protection is where it has to start. 

Archived