Breakout Players in 2017

ClaytonAU

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Ahh, okay, I agree with that.

Different interpretations of the OP. I tend to interpret it as "guys who seriously step up their game from last season and who are meaningful contributors". I don't think Davis will be our primary receiver, but I could easily see him going from 25 catches for 194 yards last year to at least double that production this year, with some serious wow plays and maybe a few meaningful touchdowns along the way. Jalen Harris could replicate Davis's stats from last year and I would call him a breakout player. 

Past examples of breakout players for me would be McCalebb in 2010 and Carlton Davis in 2015- guys who were major contributors but who weren't exactly the primary cogs in their respective units. 

A guy who could satisfy both our definitions, I think, will be NCM. 

Read my mind. We need our thoroughbreds to remain thoroughbreds and some others to step up, aka breakout, from the pack to win the SEC. 

Like I said in my op, I agreed with a number of guys previously mentioned like NCM, Slayton, etc. for breakout years, but an under the radar (fan's) guy like Ian Shannon is really needed to step up.

NCM - I feel like he's the quiet type who will show out. 

Derrick Brown - really excited to watch him grow with the team. Hard worker. 

Breakout dancer? KD still holds that title. I'm ready to watch his pregame dance routine this year! 

4 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Offense: Malik Miller, at least one from group of Kyle Davis, NCM or Slayton

Defense: Cowart, Bryant

I, and I think a couple others around here, feel like Miller's injury quietly altered the course of the 2016 season. He could maybe be to 2017 what CAP was to 2013 (well, maybe not a 6.7 YPC :o). 

Nothing that hasn't been said, but:

Offensively: NCM, Darius Slayton, and I'd also like to see Cox have a 2010 Eric Smith type season.

Defensively: Just everybody. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Nothing that hasn't been said, but:

Offensively: NCM, Darius Slayton, and I'd also like to see Cox have a 2010 Eric Smitih type season.

Defensively: Just everybody. 

!!!!!

Edit: Quoted for truth and not typo

Offense: Nate Craig Meyers

Defense: Paul James III

Of course the expected stars will dominate:  

Offense: Stidham, Pettway, Kerryon

Defense: Davidson, Brown, Davis, Williams, Matthews

On 7/22/2017 at 0:28 PM, DAG said:

I need Trigga Tray to finally step up and be the player I know he is capable of being . On the offensive side of the ball , I am hoping KJ can stay healthy and be a big time impact player . We need it. Also, NCM will be the most impactful WR this year . Calling it now. 

I'm not even going to post on this subject because DAG said exactly what I was thinking.  The hammer met the nail.

.....well I AM posting but I'm only posting to say THAT. :beer2:

NCM

Derrick Brown

As stated in an earlier post, I expect the "stars" to all have big years and although he has never taken a real game snap for us, I'm already putting Stidham in that group. 

I'm going with Will Hastings on offense  He's a little under the radar compared to the other guys mentioned here.  He obviously disappeared early in the season, but Stidham had a very nice rapport in the spring game. I think he can be Wes Walker light and pick up some quick yardage underneath to give AU short yardage on second down and allow them to look deep to the other receivers or hand it off to pick up the first down.  

Derrick Brown on defense.  He hongry!

• 4 months later...
On 7/22/2017 at 12:44 AM, ValleyTiger said:

I agree with a lot the names already mentioned so I'll say:

O - Ryan Davis, i envision him working the quick screens, drags, and quick outs well with Stidham at the helm.

D - Derrick Brown, the uber talented sophomore becomes a household name.

ST - Ian Shannon, we need him to step up and he delivers.

??

Offense:  KJ because coming into the season I looked at him as the backup to the SECs leading rusher.  All he did was become a Hesiman candidate. Davis setting the single season receptions recorded is a close second. 

Defense:  Holland.  I had him as our best linebacker/DE but I didn’t think he could lead the league in sack.  Brown would be a close second for me.

Special Teams:  Roberts because he’s so reliable catching punts.  Those years where catching punts was an adventure are burned in my memory.   So just catching the ball wins it for me.  Marshall is a close second.  Not a great punter but came in and doing the job.  Kind of like a lineman who never gets his name called.  

33 minutes ago, AUtiger98 said:

Special Teams:  Roberts because he’s so reliable catching punts.  Those years where catching punts was an adventure are burned in my memory.   So just catching the ball wins it for me.  Marshall is a close second.  Not a great punter but came in and doing the job.  Kind of like a lineman who never gets his name called.  

My wife and I went to the ULM game. One punt, she turned to me and said "wow, the whole stadium just go really quiet." I told her it was like golf and we were all holding our breath and not making any noise so we didn't distract him. 

On 7/23/2017 at 12:44 AM, ValleyTiger said:

I agree with a lot the names already mentioned so I'll say:

O - Ryan Davis, i envision him working the quick screens, drags, and quick outs well with Stidham at the helm.

D - Derrick Brown, the uber talented sophomore becomes a household name.

ST - Ian Shannon, we need him to step up and he delivers.

I see you, Valley!

Archived