Brown 's transformation

aubiefifty

Derrick Brown 'going through the transformation' entering Year 2 at Auburn

Auburn defensive lineman Derrick Brown (5) works out Tuesday, March 7, 2017, during spring football practice at the Auburn Athletic Complex in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)
Auburn defensive lineman Derrick Brown (5) works out Tuesday, March 7, 2017, during spring football practice at the Auburn Athletic Complex in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)(Julie Bennett)

1 share

Derrick Brown's parents see a big difference.

As the sophomore defensive lineman's father put it, Brown "now looks even more like an SEC defensive tackle."

It's part of the reason Auburn is so confident that the former five-star recruit is set for a breakthrough year after contributing 11 tackles, a sack and a fumble recovery as a freshman last season.

The 6-foot-5, 316-pound Georgia native has gotten stronger, dropped some bad weight and is noticeably more muscular in his upper body heading into Year 2 with the Tigers.

"He's going through the transformation," said Brown's mom, Martha Brown. "From high school to right now, I can see where his body has changed. The training and his diet and everything is working out for him."

Brown, who is competing for Montravius Adams' vacated spot at defensive tackle, had a good spring and has followed that up with a strong summer, according to Tigers defensive line coach Rodney Garner.

Brown's father said his son's bench press is now up to about 420 pounds.

"I was pleased with Derrick's spring. I actually have been pleased with Derrick overall, period," Garner said of Brown, who made three tackles during Auburn's spring game. "He and (fellow sophomore defensive lineman Marlon Davidson) were two really mature young men coming in. I think they've done a really good job of handling expectations. I think you can see constant growth and their maturity.

"Just talking to (strength and conditioning coach Ryan's Russell), I think he's been really pleased with them in the offseason program and the way the guys are approaching the offseason. Even though (Brown's) going to be a rising sophomore, he's taking more ownership. He seizes the opportunity that this is my team and really mature for his age."

The progress with the physical transformation will surely help Brown. So will his increased comfort level with Auburn's playbook and his responsibilities along the defensive line.

Brown didn't have a playbook in high school and has acknowledged that he struggled some with learning the Tigers' playbook last year.

It didn't help that Brown was a summer enrollee and didn't arrive at Auburn until three months before the start of the season.

"He's expressed that learning the playbook and getting comfortable with the plays was (a priority)," said Brown's father, James Brown. "Just being able to play with confidence and knowing what's going on. It's hard to go 100-percent full speed when you're not quite certain with your assignments and everything. But he feels pretty confident going into fall camp."

Brown has talked to his father about how Auburn is going to need some defensive linemen to step up with Adams and Buck end Carl Lawson now in the NFL.

Brown's classmate, Davidson, is one that will be depended on to be a big contributor along the defensive line.

Brown is another.

"He feels good about the upcoming year," Martha Brown said. "Derrick has a lot of goals, and he's staying focused so he can achieve those goals. That's the main thing right now. He knows what he wants to do."

i cannot believe this young man did not have a playbook in high school and was still a five star? wow

He was one of my fav recruits. I rememeber watching an interview with fhis mom(?) and him(?) - my takeaway was that he had a good head on his shoulders and that his family was grounded.

I am really excited for him and glad to hear that he's staying focused and putting in work! 

"I believe in Work,Hard Work"... I too look for Big things from this young man!!!

I'm expecting a big year for Brown and Davidson. They both played very well for true freshmen. If they don't have a good year our D will not have a good year.

42 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i cannot believe this young man did not have a playbook in high school and was still a five star? wow

Please use a synonym for the word transformation from now on. I saw the transf letters after Brown's name and my heart skipped a beat.:abmbu:

5 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Please use a synonym for the word transformation from now on. I saw the transf letters after Brown's name and my heart skipped a beat.:abmbu:

lol.  Metamorphosis, maybe? 

Archived