2018 Baseball Recruiting Thread

I was going to wait til AU made a press release in November on the signing class before making this thread since accurate lists are so hard to find but I guess we will go ahead & use PerfectGame's list. They have the disclaimer on their site the lists may not be 100% accurate.

Player Pos Ht Wt B-T High School Hometown ST College
Anthony Seigler 
Nat Rank
C 5-11 190 S-B Cartersville Cartersville GA 1566.gif 
Auburn
Ryan Bliss 
Nat Rank
SS 5-9 165 R-R Troup County Lagrange GA 1566.gif 
Auburn
Devin Warner 
Nat Rank
SS 6-2 205 S-R Cartersville Euharlee GA 1566.gif 
Auburn
Garrett Wade 
Nat Rank
LHP 6-2 180 L-L Hartselle Hartselle AL 1566.gif 
Auburn
Jordan Armstrong 
Nat Rank
RHP 6-2 175 R-R Ola McDonough GA 1566.gif 
Auburn
Dawson Sweatt 
Nat Rank
LHP 6-2 180 R-L Landmark Christian Fayetteville GA 1566.gif 
Auburn
Ed Johnson 
Nat Rank
SS 6-1 150 R-R Hewitt-Trussville Trussville AL 1566.gif 
Auburn
Jarret Eaton 
Nat Rank
2B 5-9 150 L-R St. Paul's Episcopal Mobile AL 1566.gif 
Auburn
Carson Skipper 
Nat Rank
LHP 6-1 180 L-L Hewitt-Trussville Trussville AL 1566.gif 
Auburn
Kason Howell 
Nat Rank
OF 6-0 180 S-R Liberty Christian Lantana TX 1566.gif 
Auburn

Not on PerfectGame's list is Juco RHRP Blake Rivera & LHP Brooks Fuller

• ellitor pinned and featured this topic

Thanks for posting the list...

I know that physical stats can be deceptive....but not much size in this group of guys....and pitcher-heavy list....hoping to see a bit more on the power front ...

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, AU64 said:

Thanks for posting the list...

I know that physical stats can be deceptive....but not much size in this group of guys....and pitcher-heavy list....hoping to see a bit more on the power front ...

Agree 64. Our current team seems somewhat average in size also. Baseball like everything else is turning into a big man sport. Every position need to have a power pop in their bat.

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

I'm not sure how effective he will be wearing that uniform! Just a bit large!

Actually he just has long arms ... he's holding it closer to the camera so it just "looks" bigger.  Kinda like a big bass...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/8/2017 at 1:37 PM, auburnphan said:

Lantana (Texas) Liberty Christian OF Kason Howell has signed with Auburn. Hit .466 with 6 home runs, 36 RBIs and 27 stolen bases as a junior

Kid can fly, will be a big addition to the outfield if he can hit SEC pitching.  Father is the D line coach and assistant baseball coach at his high school...family apparently lived in Auburn for three years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

This is the most recent Perfect Game list. It includes a few names that Auburn didn't announce in November as part of this high school signing class and doesn't include a few known JUCO names. From what I can tell, the names not on the list that Auburn announced are: LHP Brooks Fuller (Auburn HS, son of former Auburn player/assistant coach Mark Fuller), RHP Blake Rivera (Central PC, JUCO Wallace-Dothan), and LHP Bailey Horn (McClennan College, JUCO in Texas). Troy Bearden and Will Morrison are the two HS players listed as commits by PG that Auburn didn't announce as signees, although Bearden's travel team's website shows him as a commitment also and Morrison recently committed March 2nd. This class is currently ranked 29th by Perfect Game.

Nat Rank Name Drafted/Signed Pos Ht Wt B T High School Hometown St
67 Garrett Wade   LHP 6-2 190 L L Hartselle Hartselle AL
91 Ryan Bliss   SS 5-9 165 R R Troup County Lagrange GA
131 Devin Warner   SS 6-2 205 S R Cartersville Euharlee GA
418 Troy Bearden   1B 6-2 225 R R Next Level Academy Trussvile AL
492 Will Morrison   RHP 6-2 180 R R Cullman Cullman AL
500 Richard Fitts   RHP 6-3 185 R R Helena Helena AL
500 Brody Moore   SS 6-1 170 R R Oneonta Altoona AL
500 Ed Johnson   SS 6-1 150 R R Hewitt-Trussville Trussville AL
500 Carson Skipper   LHP 6-1 180 L L Hewitt-Trussville Trussville AL
500 Dawson Sweatt   LHP 6-2 180 R L Starrs Mill Fayetteville GA
500 Kason Howell   OF 6-0 180 S R Liberty Christian Lantana TX
500 Jarret Eaton   2B 5-9 150 L R St. Paul's Episcopal Mobile AL
Edited by boomstick
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, boomstick said:

Garrett Wade was named the Gatorade Alabama Player of the Year yesterday. 

http://www.waaytv.com/content/news/Hartselles-Garrett-Wade-named-Gatorade-Alabama-Player-of-the-Year-484015141.html

The photo included with the attached article shows a Hartselle RHP. I’m not familiar w/ Garrett, so I don’t know if it is him or not, but everything I’ve read about him says he’s a LHP.  Haha. Regardless, congrats Garrett and War Eagle. 

Edited by HitandRun5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HitandRun5 said:

The photo included with the attached article shows a Hartselle RHP. I’m not familiar w/ Garrett, so I don’t know if it is him or not, but everything I’ve read about him says he’s a LHP.  Haha. Regardless, congrats Garrett and War Eagle. 

I saw that and got a good chuckle. The best player in the state who is a LHP and they can’t put even a left-handed player photo up. 

• Like 1

I looked at a couple mock drafts and did not see any of Auburn signees listed in the first couple rounds ( could have missed a name). Does Auburn expect anyone to get drafted and go pro. 

1 minute ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

I looked at a couple mock drafts and did not see any of Auburn signees listed in the first couple rounds ( could have missed a name). Does Auburn expect anyone to get drafted and go pro. 

The two I believe were most concerned about are Garrett Wade and Blake Rivera. Wade has been projected anywhere between 100-145. Rivera has been projected around the top 200. From most indications, it will take quite a bit of money to get Wade away from Auburn. For Rivera, I’m pretty concerned that he won’t be able to pass on the money. Having played two years somewhere, he may want to go ahead and start getting paid as opposed to waiting another year. 

Picked up another JUCO commitment yesterday, this one a catcher, Matt Scheffler from Washington. 

Edited by boomstick
  • Like 1

Sports

'The ultimate leader ': Auburn signee Carson Skipper named All-Birmingham Player of the Year

Updated 6:30 AM; Posted 6:26 AM

Gallery: Carson Skipper: 2018 Birmingham Baseball Player of the Year

jbean@al.com

As Hewitt-Trussville ended its final practice before heading to Montgomery for the 2018 Class 7A baseball championship series, players quickly worked on routine field clean-up.

Where was Auburn signee and star pitcher Carson Skipper? Did his seniority and star status keep him from getting his hands dirty? Nope.

"We look out there and he's nailing nails into the tarp around home plate. That's who he is," Hewitt-Trussville coach Jeff Mauldin recalled. "He's a future SEC player at Auburn University, he's leading our team in every category that's on a piece of paper and he's the one nailing the nails in the tarp.

"That shows you his work ethic and how his parents have raised him to be humble and do what's expected of you and lead, whether it's pitching in the state championship game or putting the tarp down around home plate. That's his thing: Lead by example."

Skipper, a senior left-handed pitcher and first baseman, capped his high school career by leading the Huskies to a runner-up finish in 7A. He finished 9-3 with a 1.50 ERA and hit .406 with 16 doubles, eight triples, four homers and 49 RBIs.

For his performance, he is today named AL.com's All-Birmingham Player of the Year. He edged Homewood outfielder Josh Hall, who set AHSAA single-season and national career stolen base records, and Hoover's Sonny DiChiara, the area's top power hitter who also moonlighted as the Bucs' closer.

Skipper started his career as an eighth-grader in 2014, called up from the middles school squad to pitch against powerhouse Huntsville. He moved into Hewitt-Trussville's pitching rotation in 2015, led the Huskies to the state championship and was named MVP of the 7A championship series in 2016, went 8-1 with an 0.96 ERA in 2017, and led the Huskies back to the championship series this year.

Along the way, he compiled a career record of 31-8 with a 1.91 ERA, including 29 complete games. He recorded 318 strikeouts in 290 innings and issued only 58 walks.

"The ultimate leader for our team, the ultimate competitor," Mauldin said. "His presence on the field for us gave everybody on our team confidence we were going to win, whether he was playing first base or pitching or when he stepped into the box.

"He has this aura when he walks on the field that he's going to get the job done, no matter the situation, whether it's on the mound or getting a big hit."

St. Luke's star shortstop Jeremiah Jackson was named Alabama's 2018 Mr. Baseball by the Alabama Sports Writers Association on Sunday night in Montgomery

Mauldin and his staff quickly understood Skipper's pitching ability -- evidenced by his start as an eight-grader -- but they weren't sold on him as a hitter.

That changed as a sophomore, when he became a mainstay in the middle of the Huskies' lineup. In the 2018 playoffs, Skipper moved from the No. 3 to No. 2 spot in the lineup in an effort to get him more at-bats.

He hit .406 as a senior, but also showed plate discipline by walking 24 times to earn an on-base percentage of .586. He also finished 10-for-10 on stolen bases.

"He was born to pitch, but he made himself a hitter," Mauldin said. "Now, he may be born to do both."

Skipper signed with Auburn and could pitch, hit or do both during his college career. Mauldin sees bright days ahead for Skipper's college career.

ADVERTISING

"He's going there to get some stuff done. He's not done," Mauldin said. "Some kids, when they get that scholarship, it's, 'Yes, I've got what I've been working for.' That's not him. That's just part of the journey for him."

• Like 6

Thanks for posting this. He’s a guy that I think can help us next hat probably isn’t getting as much publicity right now. He may not start, but I think he can give us some quality innings out if the pen. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2018 at 12:16 PM, boomstick said:

The two I believe were most concerned about are Garrett Wade and Blake Rivera. Wade has been projected anywhere between 100-145. Rivera has been projected around the top 200. From most indications, it will take quite a bit of money to get Wade away from Auburn. For Rivera, I’m pretty concerned that he won’t be able to pass on the money. Having played two years somewhere, he may want to go ahead and start getting paid as opposed to waiting another year. 

Rivera signed a professional contract yesterday I believe.  Got paid 800k.  He gone.

• Like 1

We are getting a super young man on our baseball team no doubt. He could likely work his way into the bullpen rotation next year. Getting a left handed pitcher is a good thing for us. What has his fastball been clocked at?  Does anyone have his complete bios?  We are bringing top level talent into the program and this is what it takes for us to make it into the regionals and beyond. The future looks bright for Auburn baseball for years to come. We just need to nail Butch down for the long term. We do this, and then we can party like its 1999 every season!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Rivera signed a professional contract yesterday I believe.  Got paid 800k.  He gone.

Yep. They went almost $300K over slot value. They drafted him last year too. The Giants really liked him, and I don’t think they were willing to let him walk away again. 

I think he’s the only recruit we will lose to the draft. I think the only concern with the draft now is Davis Daniel. 

Edited by boomstick

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

We are getting a super young man on our baseball team no doubt. He could likely work his way into the bullpen rotation next year. Getting a left handed pitcher is a good thing for us. What has his fastball been clocked at?  Does anyone have his complete bios?  We are bringing top level talent into the program and this is what it takes for us to make it into the regionals and beyond. The future looks bright for Auburn baseball for years to come. We just need to nail Butch down for the long term. We do this, and then we can party like its 1999 every season!

He was 86-87 last summer. I’d guess he will play around 88-90 with the FB as a freshman.