Auburn's vertical passing game

StatTiger

Looking back over the past 25 years of Auburn football, the 2015 pass-offense ranked No. 24 among the 25 Auburn pass-offenses in generating pass plays of 15-yards or more.

The 2016 Auburn pass-offense improved to No. 15 on the list. It was an improvement but progress is still needed in this area.

Looking at yards per reception from the wide receiver position only, the top-5 WR corps over the past 25 years at Auburn is 2010, 2004, 1997, 2009 and 1993. Those 5 teams combined for a record of 56-8-0.

Last season when Sean White was healthy (Arkansas State thru Ole Miss games), Auburn averaged 5 impact plays per game in the passing game alone with 1 every 4.4 pass attempts. Anything lower than 1 every 5 attempts is great production. During the final 5 games of the season with White injured, Auburn averaged 1.8 impact plays per game in the passing game or 1 every 11.7 pass attempts. I excluded the Clemson game because of the offensive game plan that gave Sean White no chance to be successful.

Obviously, the ability to generate explosive plays in the passing game can only help increase the yards per reception, which is something Auburn needs to accomplish in 2017. Stretching the opposition vertically, will open up the running lanes when Auburn elects to run the football. One of the reasons for Auburn's improvement from 2015 to 2016 was the four freshman WR's. The four freshman WR's averaged an impact play every 3.2 receptions, which is a solid foundation moving into the 2017 season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

First play of the season , I want to see a play action homerun pass to NCM. If anything to show the competition that we will be willing and ready to pass on 1st down 

• Like 3

There is no argument from me in that opening up the passing game will improve all aspects of our offense this year! Every player who is eligible to catch a pass this year on any given play should be thrown to more! Opening up the run game as well.

I expect 6-8 shots downfield, over 20 yard attempts, per game.

Explosive plays in the passing game also come from blocking down field and breaking tackles some as well.  

We don't just need to rely on the homerun ball because we had that with all the QBs other then White and it's been sporadic at best.  Controlled pass and run game with a homerun ball about 3-4 times a half.  Sucesss!!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAG said:

First play of the season , I want to see a play action homerun pass to NCM. If anything to show the competition that we will be willing and ready to pass on 1st down 

I'm pretty sure that's two different sports ... :lol:   not really sure how the homerun pass works

6 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I'm pretty sure that's two different sports ... :lol:   not really sure how the homerun pass works

I think it means the ball is thrown over the fence in the endzone. But NCM will rob it with his insane vertical ability, landing with his toes just inside the back line of the endzone for the score. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm hoping this is the season we dont have one of our main targets drop routine catches repeatedly. Tired of seeing that and ready for us to move beyond it. I think we have the depth this year to keep a good hands team on the field the majority of the time & sit someone if they drop easy catches. One long catch once every blue moon doesnt atone for 3 dropped 8 yd,1st down catches on 3rd down imo.

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

I expect 6-8 shots downfield, over 20 yard attempts, per game.

Explosive plays in the passing game also come from blocking down field and breaking tackles some as well.  

We don't just need to rely on the homerun ball because we had that with all the QBs other then White and it's been sporadic at best.  Controlled pass and run game with a homerun ball about 3-4 times a half.  Sucesss!!!!

But I hope we will be better at it.

21 minutes ago, kd4au said:

But I hope we will be better at it.

Exactly. NM home run ball was all over the place. I would hardly call that reliable unless you have Tray Matthews defending it. We already know we can complete the intermediate pass. We need to work on the vertical passes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17570884

I am sure you wouldn't based on StatTiger post. It usually involves a pass at greater lengths than 15 yards. It was quite absent the last two years within our offense, so I will give you the benefit of a doubt.

You tried though sport

giphy.gif

Edited by DAG

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I'd like to see us pass every play on the first drive of the season until we score, just to show we can.  Give Clemsux something to think about.

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I'd like to see us pass every play on the first drive of the season until we score, just to show we can.  Give Clemsux something to think about.

That is one thing I noticed when watching Chip Lindsey's offense at ASU. There was a lot more passing on 1st down. I want to see that more as well.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DAG said:

That is one thing I noticed when watching Chip Lindsey's offense at ASU. There was a lot more passing on 1st down. I want to see that more as well.

Yep....would be nice to see home run passes on downs when it's not expected by the entire stadium...first or 2nd down as noted .    I don't have the stats but my perception is that in last recent years a good percentage of the home run passes were on 3rd and long when everyone in the park knew what was coming....and a bull rush or blitz was likely.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DAG said:

For years we've been one of the best running teams in the nation, and that was with virtually no threat of throwing on first down. If we start throwing effectively on first down, Pettway and company will have ridiculous numbers and our offense will be dominant. Can't wait for kickoff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yep....would be nice to see home run passes on downs when it's not expected by the entire stadium...first or 2nd down as noted .    I don't have the stats but my perception is that in last recent years a good percentage of the home run passes were on 3rd and long when everyone in the park knew what was coming....and a bull rush or blitz was likely.  

exactly. SW was put in 3rd and long way too often. Do not want to replicate that practice.

13 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

For years we've been one of the best running teams in the nation, and that was with virtually no threat of throwing on first down. If we start throwing effectively on first down, Pettway and company will have ridiculous numbers and our offense will be dominant. Can't wait for kickoff. 

Exactly and quite frankly it has been open because teams have been so occupied with stopping the run against us.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Under Gus Malzahn, the Auburn pass offense has produced a pass play of 25-yards or more...

8.8% of the time on 1st down

9.2% of the time on 2nd down

8.0% of the time on 3rd down

32 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Under Gus Malzahn, the Auburn pass offense has produced a pass play of 25-yards or more...

8.8% of the time on 1st down

9.2% of the time on 2nd down

8.0% of the time on 3rd down

Interesting....don't you think the potential for a 25+ play would be higher on first down?  ....though I'm assuming you are considering the flight of the ball as opposed to those frequent pops behind the LOS that one of the WRs managed to break free with.  

Just seems that first down passes under Gus were mostly spot type passes whereas the 3rd down passes involved longer routes.  

Trying to grasp the issue?    Seems we don't have that many 25+ yard passing plays in any given game anyway and guess I'm not surprised that 3rd down would have the least success as the plays are pretty well expected.....

Great thread....however I think you can toss out the history b/c Gus isn't calling the plays ( I pray ) and this is the first year Gus hasn't been coordinating the offense.

Now, as an older guy, I honestly don't recall such a collection of talent on O.  I know the receivers don't have a proven playmaker, but top to bottom, I think it is a strong group of talent with different skills.

Not since J Campbell have I been this excited about excited about the QB posn.  I didn't really know what Cam could do in the SEC to be honest.  I can't say, "oh yeah, I knew his game would translate and he would be win the heisman."   I doubted J Johnson all along and unfort I was right.  I like Campbell more b/c of durability/physicality.

I hear mixed stuff about the O line, but I will bet on this group b/c of maturity, depth and age.

I think Auburn will keep Def Coords  up all night the 2 weeks before we play them.  

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Interesting....don't you think the potential for a 25+ play would be higher on first down?  ....though I'm assuming you are considering the flight of the ball as opposed to those frequent pops behind the LOS that one of the WRs managed to break free with.  

Just seems that first down passes under Gus were mostly spot type passes whereas the 3rd down passes involved longer routes.  

Trying to grasp the issue?    Seems we don't have that many 25+ yard passing plays in any given game anyway and guess I'm not surprised that 3rd down would have the least success as the plays are pretty well expected.....

Maybe it indicates that first down passes were so rare, they were pretty successful when attempted?

Edited by homersapien

44 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Great thread....however I think you can toss out the history b/c Gus isn't calling the plays ( I pray ) and this is the first year Gus hasn't been coordinating the offense.

Now, as an older guy, I honestly don't recall such a collection of talent on O.  I know the receivers don't have a proven playmaker, but top to bottom, I think it is a strong group of talent with different skills.

Not since J Campbell have I been this excited about excited about the QB posn.  I didn't really know what Cam could do in the SEC to be honest.  I can't say, "oh yeah, I knew his game would translate and he would be win the heisman."   I doubted J Johnson all along and unfort I was right.  I like Campbell more b/c of durability/physicality.

I hear mixed stuff about the O line, but I will bet on this group b/c of maturity, depth and age.

I think Auburn will keep Def Coords  up all night the 2 weeks before we play them.  

Best believe this team will surprise a lot of people, even some of our fans...Not me though.

:wareagle:

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Maybe it indicates that first down passes were so rare, they were pretty successful when attempted?

We threw a fair number on first down...just that many were quick pops to the spread WR which should have been complete about 80+ % of the time....don't know the completion rate but with poor blocking on the ends a good percentage did not amount to much.

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We threw a fair number on first down...just that many were quick pops to the spread WR which should have been complete about 80+ % of the time....don't know the completion rate but with poor blocking on the ends a good percentage did not amount to much.

Yep. I love to see more passing on first downs, as long as they are not ONLY wide receiver screens for 3 yards or less.

What I hope to see is TDs from red zone efficiency, and some vertical passes for completions that will open up the run game even more. Have to have more TD production to make anything better than 7 wins...

• Like 1

Great read @StatTiger. I think downfield passing is the most crucial improvement for the offense this season and where I think Stidham can have his biggest impact. If we can have those numbers fall in or around that top 5 group, we're going to have a fun season.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Great read @StatTiger. I think downfield passing is the most crucial improvement for the offense this season and where I think Stidham can have his biggest impact. If we can have those numbers fall in or around that top 5 group, we're going to have a fun season.

Exactly, make defenses defend the entire field and we'll be a special, special bunch on offense.

I'm especially excited about finally using the RBs out of the backfield and RPOs in the seam. 

• Like 2