2017 Fall Camp - Mon, July 31 (First Practice)

RunInRed

21 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Meh, it's just some goobers stirring up the pot for attention. Show me some other Power 5 schools that have their QBs (especially ones with game experience) going live in fall camp. Good luck. It's the most important position on the field, and as state already, let one or both of them get hurt in fall camp and OMG the fallout. 

Questioning Gus for QB development is one thing, but to question just a common no-no at major college football programs is a whole different level. 

Also, on the bolded bit, aren't the QBs and their development now more or less in the hands of new OC Chip Lindsey?  Regardless, both Stidham and White have been live in games against other Power 5 teams.  I'm not getting why folks think either of them need to go live (as in being tackled to the ground) in practice.  Neither of them is going to get that "deer in the headlights" look about them due to the speed of the game.  Sean White, if anything, has gone too far in the opposite direction and tried to play too tough. Stidham has his own injury history.  With two QBs that have been injured in the past, I can't imagine why some folks think our coaches ought to put them in a position to get injured in practice before the season even starts.  

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

SW looks great throwing the ball when he is not getting hit.  (Great may be an exaggeration, but you get my point.)  BUT when he is under pressure he starts that falling away throwing.  Coaches can't coach that out of him if they don't see it in practice.  They can't make him aware of it and find a way to stop him.  As for JS, I heard an alarming stat this morning.  I understand that he has played at this level and that he has been hit at this level.  But as of the GA S game it will have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 654 days since the last time he got hit.  That is a LONG time.  Let him get in there and mix it up a little.

I could be wrong, but I remember the falling away motion from SW much more when he's trying to put more velocity on the ball and not necessarily from pressure. I don't really feel like pressure caused poor mechanics from him. If anything maybe they should be forcing him into more situations in practice that steer him towards higher velocity passes to work on the fall away motion.

As far as Stidham getting hit, if you've been hit once at a certain level, you understand what it's like. You don't tend to forget and the first hit in a real game will be plenty to remind him. 

17 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

I could be wrong, but I remember the falling away motion from SW much more when he's trying to put more velocity on the ball and not necessarily from pressure. I don't really feel like pressure caused poor mechanics from him. If anything maybe they should be forcing him into more situations in practice that steer him towards higher velocity passes to work on the fall away motion.

As far as Stidham getting hit, if you've been hit once at a certain level, you understand what it's like. You don't tend to forget and the first hit in a real game will be plenty to remind him. 

SW may need more than going live to fix that problem at this point. I'm all JS but it certainly hasn't been fair to SW that we didn't allow him to be better developed outside of Gus/Rhett. Not sure why/how he developed falling off to the side on his deep passes pressured or not; we should've been helping him more to fix that. And if we couldn't, let him get outside help from someone who could. 

One could argue that it would be good for SW to go live since he wasn't able to participate in Spring. But I can imagine Gus would be extremely hesitant considering SW's injury history. In that case, we may want Malik to go live in a couple practices. 

27 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

One could argue that it would be good for SW to go live since he wasn't able to participate in Spring. But I can imagine would be extremely hesitant considering SW's injury history. In that case, we may want Malik to go live in a couple practices. 

Personally, I think that would be a good move, so that he has as much live experience as possible should he be needed this season. I don't think we have the luxury of allowing him to run the scout team all year.

18 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

One could argue that it would be good for SW to go live since he wasn't able to participate in Spring. But I can imagine Gus would be extremely hesitant considering SW's injury history. In that case, we may want Malik to go live in a couple practices

I can see a case for having the third string QB who has never faced competition at this level go live in practice a few times against the AU defense (which I am expecting to be very good.)  Even that is a risk, but it's a calculated risk.

A kid coming from high school, even if their team is in a great area with a lot of good competition, still plays against teams that only have two or three (usually) players that are top flight and who get scholarships to play at the D-1 level.  When you get to D-1, every player on every team is like the very best players you faced in high school at every position, just bigger, stronger and faster. So some live snaps against AU's first team D could be really beneficial to help see if he is ready and can adjust. I think he can.

Malik  has a shot to realty be a good one before he is done at AU.  But...I also thought Jeremy Johnson was going to be a good one, didn't ever want to see Ben Leard take another snap after 1998 or Chris Todd take another snap after 2008. So what the heck do I know? Sometimes, not very much. ;) 

Archived