2017 Fall Camp - Mon, July 31 (First Practice)

RunInRed

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. I'll be damned.

Great thing about athletes though, they can help you at more than one position.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

University of Auburn football...?

Tell me it ain't so.

You noticed that too huh?

Notes from media open period

AUBURN, Ala. — The first day of preseason camp is officially underway at Auburn.

The Tigers started their first practice with the veterans at roughly 2:55 p.m. CT.

A few pertinent notes, which will be updated throughout the afternoon:

— Receiver Jason Smith has moved to defensive back, where he is now wearing the No. 25 instead of 4. He participated in DB drills during the early portion of practice, too.

— Walkon Aidan Marshall will challenge Ian Shannon for the starting job at punter. Marshall, however, did not punt and instead went through the drill motions as Shannon took all snaps in the early portion of the practice.

— Freshman defensive back Carlito Gonzalez was not at practice and was not listed on the roster.

— Quarterbacks Jarrett Stidham and Sean White both participated with the first-team unit and received a legit 50-50 split early in practice.

— The offense worked primarily on screen passes to receivers and running backs during a pace drill at the tailend of the open period to the media.

— RB Kam Martin fumbled a screen pass.

— The youngsters, including newcomers, mostly stood off to the side and will participate in practice during the final 12 periods as the veterans take the second half of practice off. Quarterback Malik Willis, despite participating in spring practices, will not practice until the second half of the day. Receiver Marquis McClain, a redshirt freshman, also appeared to be in this group.

Source

3 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Wasn't Gonzalez having issues with grades this summer? 

Trying to finish a class. He's removed any mention of Auburn from his Twitter profile... guessing he's on his way to JuCo.

6 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

RB Kam Martin fumbled a screen pass.

Ugh... not what I wanted to read.

Smith to S is a good move imo. He is athletic enough to help there, and WR is deep. Odds are he would have gotten mostly mop up duty at WR. Here's to hoping it works out & he makes a difference on that side of the ball. I do wonder how long ago this was decided.

— The first-team offensive line, from left to right: Darius James, Marquel Harrell, Austin Golson, Mike Horton and Braden Smith.

— The second-team offensive line, from left to right: Prince Tega Wanogho, Kaleb Kim, Casey Dunn, Wilson Bell and Bailey Sharp.

45 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Jason Smith news is interesting. I know we are somewhat thin at DB, but I'm hoping that's more of a sign of our depth and talent at WR.

I think it is a sign that we're very deep at WR. Nothing against Jason, i just think we have guys with a little bit better natural WR talent. 

24 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Notes from media open period

Source

Kam Martin really needs to work on his catching skills. 

1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

AND thin at Safety!

Jason is a good athlete and can provide some much needed depth there. 

Agree. I rather use him there than for him to be sitting on the sidelines and us having to scramble to find someone to at least sub for our main Safeties. 

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lol, it is not football season without 1 or 2 surprises.

Well I wouldn't count this one. Gus had already said weeks ago that he was trying to finish a class.

Just now, WFE12 said:

Well I wouldn't count this one. Gus had already said weeks ago that he was trying to finish a class.

We are at bad times when we aren't surprised when students can't finish classes.

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Got dang it Kam!!!!

He could do well in an OMac type of role but has struggled to catch the ball. 

Archived