2017 Fall Camp - Mon, July 31 (First Practice)

RunInRed

12 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

You could make a play off of his name by using his first name Marlin, as in the fish. 

1. Marlon "The Holy Mackerel" Davidson

2. Big Blue Marlon Davidson

Marlon "Big Fish" Davidson

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, amsterjam said:

Marlon "Big Fish" Davidson

I wish Chip Lindsey could play the opposite DE position. It could be fish and chips.

Monster Marlon!

1 minute ago, stoic-one said:

Sounds more like a boxer.  :poke:

I was thinking a cross between something medieval and WWE.  If he was a boxer, he'd be Marvelous Marlon the Mauler.  His name sort of reminds me of 'Harley-Davidson', so I was trying to think of something along those lines, but couldn't come up with anything good.  Maybe he could walk out to Steppenwolf's 'Born to be Wild', or something... 

I keep seeing comments from time to time around the interwebz questioning Gus's decision not to let the QBs be tackled in fall camp.  This is baffling to me.  It's not like White or Stidham have never taken hits at this level before.  And in our offense, they already will take more hits than QBs who are exclusively pocket passers in games.  Any possible benefits of going "live" in fall camp are outweighed 10 to 1 by potential negative outcomes.  And these same folks clamoring for letting them be tackled would be the first to call Gus an idiot if Stidham, White or both got a knee twisted under a tackler, or were tackled onto their shoulder and dislocated it.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I keep seeing comments from time to time around the interwebz questioning Gus's decision not to let the QBs be tackled in fall camp.  This is baffling to me.  It's not like White or Stidham have never taken hits at this level before.  And in our offense, they already will take more hits than QBs who are exclusively pocket passers in games.  Any possible benefits of going "live" in fall camp are outweighed 10 to 1 by potential negative outcomes.  And these same folks clamoring for letting them be tackled would be the first to call Gus an idiot if Stidham, White or both got a knee twisted under a tackler, or were tackled onto their shoulder and dislocated it.

One highly visible debacle made a lot of people change their minds about what logic and decades of experience had made obvious, which also happens to be what you just said. As soon as a Stidham gets hurt in practice, those same people will scream that Gus was an idiot to let the QBs get hit. 

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There's no benefit to having game experienced QBs go live at any point.  I haven't really seen that, are there actually people that believe 2 QBs with power 5 starting experience should be going live in fall camp?

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Agreed. Considering both of these players have been hurt in the past there is no reason to risk it.

Just now, WDEKC said:

There's no benefit to having game experienced QBs go live at any point.  I haven't really seen that, are there actually people that believe 2 QBs with power 5 starting experience should be going live in fall camp?

The illustrious Brandon Marcello from Auburn's 247 site made the case today for it.  But he's not alone.  I've seen it elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The illustrious Brandon Marcello from Auburn's 247 site made the case today for it.  But he's not alone.  I've seen it elsewhere.

This guy?

70BXR9e.jpg

Trolling trolling trolling....

35 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

I agree. Both of our first two QBs on the depth chart have shown they don't get the yips during live action so it is not necessary.

wde

I haven't really seen anyone call for it during fall practice (other than Marcello now).  I can't understand why we don't do it in spring practice though.  This year being an exception, because he couldn't risk Stidham getting hurt.  Definitely should have let Woody go live and maybe Malik.

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I haven't really seen anyone call for it during fall practice (other than Marcello now).  I can't understand why we don't do it in spring practice though.  This year being an exception, because he couldn't risk Stidham getting hurt.  Definitely should have let Woody go live and maybe Malik.

I think we did let the 3 guy and lower go live, but I might be pulling that out of my... nowhere. 

1 hour ago, WDEKC said:

I'm sure that there are, just as there are people who still argue that the Earth is flat and that the landing of man on the moon was just a staged hoax.

I get why Gus had Nick Marshall go live prior to his junior year. Then the Jeremy Johnson meltdown IMO made everyone kind of overreact about having QBs go live because JJ, seemingly out of nowhere, seemed that contact really bothered him and got in his head resulting in his play on the field. IMO people felt like maybe that wouldn't have been such a disappointing surprise if he had gone live in practice. And maybe would've allowed the staff to actually attempt  to prepare SW to actually play his RS-Freshman season...

Basically, there's no way in hell that SW should go live after seeing how often he gets injured. That coupled with the fact that (JMO) the coaches know Stidz is going to be QB1 -- and has his own injury concerns himself -- we don't get any benefit from having them go live with our current roster, as I see it.

I think there are benefits to QBs going live but in regards to this fall camp, I don't think we need to do so. Considering we know what both JS and SW bring there's no need for them to go live IMO. Why waste more time? We need to get our OL set and get JS snaps as the starter.

I guess I am a little old school.  I understand the cause for concern about having our QBs go live.  However, both of our seasoned QBs have reasons to go live.  SW looks great throwing the ball when he is not getting hit.  (Great may be an exaggeration, but you get my point.)  BUT when he is under pressure he starts that falling away throwing.  Coaches can't coach that out of him if they don't see it in practice.  They can't make him aware of it and find a way to stop him.  As for JS, I heard an alarming stat this morning.  I understand that he has played at this level and that he has been hit at this level.  But as of the GA S game it will have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 654 days since the last time he got hit.  That is a LONG time.  Let him get in there and mix it up a little.

I do agree that 90% of those claiming Gus is wrong for not going live would be throwing him under the bus if someone got injured.  But you don't know what you have until you see how they can pick themselves (and their team) up of the ground after getting punched in the mouth.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Meh, it's just some goobers stirring up the pot for attention. Show me some other Power 5 schools that have their QBs (especially ones with game experience) going live in fall camp. Good luck. It's the most important position on the field, and as state already, let one or both of them get hurt in fall camp and OMG the fallout. 

Questioning Gus for QB development is one thing, but to question just a common no-no at major college football programs is a whole different level. 

I can't help but wonder what Spurrier would have said to a reporter questioning his QBs not going live in fall camp....

ETA - I guess George Whitfield should get some current NFL players to rush his passers in his camp b/c damn what a disservice to take their $$ without seeing them under live fire. :rolleyes:

The only time something like this might make sense is if you intend to have a QB-run heavy offense, and you have a true QB competition with at least two inexperienced players you're trying to decide on.  You're going to need who is truly more elusive, who has better instincts one when to pull the ball and run, who is best at knowing on pass plays when to tuck and run vs stay in the pocket, who can avoid tackles or break them?  You might need at least some hitting of QBs to see who does that best.  But even then it would be limited - I wouldn't have it every scrimmage.

Archived