**Official 2017 "Nip Watch"** Called-0900 8/24!!

WarTim

Moon's not particularly cooperative this year, but

Perseids are happenin'

(when you wish upon ....)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

While hot and humid today the dusk came earlier, with a subtle burnt orange hue shaded against the blue sky. In the distance, an eagle flies, circling its prey. And as the begonias and hydrangeas that line the beautiful Auburn yards slowly drift away for their Fall retreat, the call of the Nip draws ever closer.

giphy.gif

Sat down on my couch yesterday  down here in Florida to watch "Auburn in 60" which I recorded last week. I turned on the ceiling fan and for just a second....I thought I felt...the "Nip".

I am going to do a little early morning fishing tomorrow. Then, light yard work and clean out the garage. ALL have potential to move the Nipometer

3 hours ago, Aubiewood said:

49 the low tonight. HS football playing in the high 50s low 60s! That qualifies as nip, right? :-)

IMG_0896.PNG

Indeed Sir. ALL are very good "signs".....

Here in B-Ham felt my first taste of it yesterday.  

The high was not so high-  mid 80s.

The humidity dropped just enough and a coolness to the breeze to make me wonder if the super hot days of summer are really coming to an end.

My kid scrimmaged as the starting center for his 7th grade team and i got to mingle with those who also smelled football in the air.

WE COMIN'!

There should be a nice shot of cool air mid-day today (highly unusual for mid-late August in Alabama), and what better way to ring in The Nip than a total solar eclipse?  Hope WarTim is taking notice of the conditions out there....

29 minutes ago, SCBusPilot said:

There should be a nice shot of cool air mid-day today (highly unusual for mid-late August in Alabama), and what better way to ring in The Nip than a total solar eclipse?  Hope WarTim is taking notice of the conditions out there....

Note taken. IT is getting CLOSE!!

In non-weather notes - I got that feeling yesterday when watching some of the hype videos in another thread. A little butterfly in my stomach, a catch in the breath, the taste barbeque suddenly on the tongue...lads, it's close. Very close. 

Reasons the Nip is on the way for me:

I was kayak fishing the other evening and as soon as the sun went down I noticed I wasn't getting eaten alive by the bugs and it felt so comfortable out on the water for a change.

I have had to raise the mower up 1 level because the grass isn't growing as fast.

Fall brews are in the stores and breweries.

The smell of fire pits through the neighborhood and people enjoying sitting outside in the evenings.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:54 AM, SCBusPilot said:

Took it in from Huckleberry Knob, NC.

Right nippy.

(ETA - Downright "goosebumpy")

On 8/22/2017 at 11:29 AM, McFU said:

Reasons the Nip is on the way for me:

I was kayak fishing the other evening and as soon as the sun went down I noticed I wasn't getting eaten alive by the bugs and it felt so comfortable out on the water for a change.

I have had to raise the mower up 1 level because the grass isn't growing as fast.

Fall brews are in the stores and breweries.

The smell of fire pits through the neighborhood and people enjoying sitting outside in the evenings.

Where do you live?  It's hotter than ten hells in Athens. The last two days been brutal. 

On a little vaca in NC and driving on Blue Ridge Parkway, starting to see a little change of color in the trees and some leaves starting to fall on the road.  Football practice after classed have started, officiated first high school football this past Friday.  Everything is pointing toward the Nip.....

1 hour ago, aubigblue said:

I saw the first " Love Bugs" of the year on my windshield today in southeast Alabama. Surely that's a sign WarTim!!

I saw them in the Jacksonville FL area today.  That is a sure sign. 

Felt just a tease of the Nip leaving a restaurant after dinner in Florence, AL earlier this evening... a cool breeze, low humidity and a growing sense of excitement among friends that the first tailgate is less than 10 days away! 

It's hot, but the excitement builds. Not a day that passes without a "War Eagle" at the grocery store. Store fronts proudly display the latest orange and blue dresses. The orange solo cups are stacked in an "AU" arrangement on the shelves. It's closing in on us. May the nip find us all!

Archived