Receivers want to be best in the nation

WFE12

Auburn receivers want to grab title of ‘best in the nation’ in 2017

AUBURN, Ala. — There’s a note in the wide receiver meeting room that caught Chandler Cox’s eye this preseason.

“We (tight ends/H-backs) have our meetings sometimes in their room and they go somewhere else,” Cox said. “And on the board it says they want to be the best receivers in the nation,” Cox said. “I think they have a good chance of doing that. They just have to grow up a little bit and mature and do their job.”

Auburn is a school with history of college football’s best running backs. Kamryn Pettway wants to add to that this fall.

Still, with new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey at the helm — and likely Jarrett Stidham starting at quarterback — there’s a chance the Tigers will throw more than ever under coach Gus Malzahn.

MORE: Auburn football lands inside top 15 of preseason coaches poll

Cox and running back Kerryon Johnson, among others, have full confidence Kodi Burns’ groups can check items off of their to-do list.

Johnson, who has witnessed first-hand perhaps some of the best talent Auburn’s had at that position in the past, sees the potential.

RELATED: Chip Lindsey isn’t buying into talk that Jarrett Stidham has already won the starting QB job

“I think from top to bottom, and you know, just for me watching Auburn football in high school, this is  one of the overall most talented receiver cores we’ve had here in a while,” Johnson said.

That includes guys like Sammie Coates and Duke Williams, but Johnson thinks the current group rivals Sammie Coates, Duke Williams and former squads. The combined capabilities of this year’s group, Johnson says, mean Auburn “has it all.”

Need a shifty, quick athlete? Think Ryan Davis and “white lightning” Will Hastings — two guys that Johnson says are difficult to guard in “any coverage.”

Want to throw downfield and mimic Coates? Darius Slayton is an experienced player who’s shown that ability. Now Auburn’s added Noah Igbinoghene, a freshman who’s already impressing.

Looking to throw up high to a guy with size? Good thing the Tigers’ added lanky tight end Sal Cannella, who was practicing with the first-team offense during the early days of camp.

Johnson says the junior college transfer reminds him of “a more athletic” C.J. Uzomah.

“He catches a lot of contested balls, he’s a big target, he knows how to use his body to block off defenders,” Johnson said. “I think he’s going to be very big for us this year, I think he really will.”

And then there are last year’s standouts. Kyle Davis missed all of spring, but the former SportsCenter highlight star has returned seamlessly. Eli Stove claimed the offensive newcomer of the year honors at the team banquet. Oh, and then of course there’s Nate Craig-Myers. Remember his A-Day showing?

Everywhere Auburn players turn there’s a receiver who provides a unique threat and a bright future.

“All they’ve got to do is go out and do it,” Johnson said. “It’s up to them and they realize they’re going to have chances, like you said, with more passing options we have. They’re going to have chances, they just have to make the plays.”

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

With regards to WR, what is our depth chart looking like there? As far as who is going to play where and how often they'll be on the field.

I so hope AU turns it loose and gives these receivers a chance to show what they can do. I think there is a ton of potential with the right scheme and the right QB. If only the AU staff can put it together. Heres hoping they can.

4 hours ago, djg0017 said:

With regards to WR, what is our depth chart looking like there? As far as who is going to play where and how often they'll be on the field.

We've got about 8 guys who can play!

low on experience, but high on talent. 

11 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

We've got about 8 guys who can play!

low on experience, but high on talent. 

But as far as who is gonna be out wide vs. slot do you know? And I've heard Sal has been lining up at WR some.. all the way out I assume?

I assume K Davis and NCM are going to get most of the snaps alongside Slayton but is Stove going to get more snaps than last year?

I've not seen much about McClain other than the TD catch he had last scrimmage, wonder how much he'll play.

5 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I've not seen much about McClain other than the TD catch he had last scrimmage, wonder how much he'll play.

Yeah and coaches raved about him last year. I really like our WRs this year -- as talented as any year I can remember IMO.

I question how next year is if we get Seth Williams to go along with Shedrick Jackson and Matt Hill..I really think all the wr's won't get drafted from this team this year and we will retain everybody...So that's a lot of talent and not much PT for the freshmen. Who will redshirt is going to be an interesting question. I have seen Chris Doehring of sec network say that NCM is his no. 1 breakout wr and NFL.com named him as one of our players to watch though.

4 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I question how next year is if we get Seth Williams to go along with Shedrick Jackson and Matt Hill..I really think all the wr's won't get drafted from this team this year and we will retain everybody...So that's a lot of talent and not much PT for the freshmen. Who will redshirt is going to be an interesting question. I have seen Chris Doehring of sec network say that NCM is his no. 1 breakout wr and NFL.com named him as one of our players to watch though.

I saw that. I think NCM and KD will have big seasons as primary receiver and red zone target, respectively. But you're right, who is even eligible to get drafted this year? Slayton, Ryan Davis, Hastings? I don't see any of those guys getting drafted (even though I think Slayton is our best proven receiver). I'm afraid we will be at a logjam next year with something like 10+ scholarship receivers.. Not the worst problem to have though :ucrazy:

McClain, at nearly 230lbs, is who I'm looking for against Ga Southern. Hoping he can make an impact and not transfer - you don't find his size and speed often. Albeit, he's Sammie Coates-like raw. 

9 hours ago, djg0017 said:

I'll give it a shot:

Split End (9) - Slayton/NCM

Flanker (2) - Stove, R Davis, Noah

"Big Slot" (5) - K Davis, Cannella/McClain

TE (5) - Harris, Cannella, Shenker

"Small Slot" (3) - Hastings/R Davis

H-Back (3) - Cox

Admittedly, Malzahn's numbering system seems convoluted to me, but that's the general pecking order. From what I've gleaned from Chip's past offenses, he often uses motion to isolate defenders and really set up those Slot receivers to do some serious work in the middle of the field and up the seam. 

Man, Jarrett has some serious weapons. :hellyeah:

32 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I'll give it a shot:

H-Back (3) - Cox

Admittedly, Malzahn's numbering system seems convoluted to me, but that's the general pecking order. From what I've gleaned from Chip's past offenses, he often uses motion to isolate defenders and really set up those Slot receivers to do some serious work in the middle of the field and up the seam. 

This is seriously awesome. I feel like all of these guys could start for any number of teams, and we get to spread them out over a 3-deep essentially :wareagle:

10 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

I'll give it a shot:

H-Back (3) - Cox

Wasn't it 2014 when Duke got kicked off the team and all we had was Ricardo louis pretty much? 2015 left alot to be desired as well. Count me as ecstatic that we're not in that situation and won't be for a while hopefully.

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Wasn't 2014 when Duke got kicked off the team and all we had was Ricardo louis pretty much? 2015 left alot to be desired as well. Count me as ecstatic that we're not in that situation and won't be for a while hopefully.

You're a year early.  It was 2015.

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Wasn't 2014 when Duke got kicked off the team and all we had was Ricardo louis pretty much? 2015 left alot to be desired as well. Count me as ecstatic that we're not in that situation and won't be for a while hopefully.

After the Prayer in JH Ricardo seemed like he couldn't catch anything thrown his way... I remember the Arkansas game of 2015 where he dropped like 3 passes in the last two drives :angry:

9 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I've got Craig-Myers and Slayton finishing as our two best WRs in stats.

I agree. Slayton is SO dependable. Our receivers this year have awesome hands :hellyeah: I'm not expecting lots of drops out there

Archived