19. Kansas State

20. West Virginia

21. South Florida

22. Virginia Tech

23. Texas

24. Tennessee

25. Utah

my thoughts.  

How is LSU ahead of us? they have so many question marks and lost 10 guys on offense. why is Tennessee even ranked?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't we start out 2010 at like #16?

Any poll before a game has been played is a waste of time. That said having us where we are and Clemson at #5 could really help us when we beat Clemson.  I think Clemson with what it lost is overrated. It has shown to be a solid program over the last few years but only a couple of teams can lose that many key players and still be that close to the top. I don't think they are one of those programs yet.

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Any poll before a game has been played is a waste of time. That said having us where we are and Clemson at #5 could really help us when we beat Clemson.  I think Clemson with what it lost is overrated. It has shown to be a solid program over the last few years but only a couple of teams can lose that many key players and still be that close to the top. I don't think they are one of those programs yet.

they were actually given 7 first place votes.

Polls are opinion and opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one.  

At this point, I really don't care what the polls say.  The season will play out and the polls will take care of themselves.

35 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Didn't we start out 2010 at like #16?

I think '04 was closer, but close enough.

WDE

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

This ranking is for you "please , don't rank us high sir" fans .

I resemble that

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

WDE

Problem in '04 is that the number 1 and number 2 teams went wire to wire without a loss.  Of course USC was later stripped of their title for NCAA violations so they never should have been there at all.  As much as I wished for it, jumping over and undefeated team ahead of you in the polls is not an easy thing to do.

2 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I resemble that

Me too!  Our Tigers are ranked high enough to be in the mix at season's end as long as they take care of business on game days.  I don't want to jinx things, but I have really, really positive vibes about this football team and the 2017 season.

3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

WDE

in 2010 we weren't ranked week 1 according to the coaches poll.  #22 on the AP preseason poll.

5 minutes ago, KerryThachWDE said:

in 2010 we weren't ranked week 1 according to the coaches poll.  #22 on the AP preseason poll.

Sorry. I confuse easily.

Wikipedia, however, says preseason #23?, Week 1 @ #21? ,Maybe not the best source, but seemed my quickest check.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_rankings

30 minutes ago, KerryThachWDE said:

I must have been thinking of 04, then. I could swear we were 16th at the beginning of a season we finished undefeated, and I'm too young to remember preseason rankings from 93.

1 hour ago, KerryThachWDE said:

How is LSU ahead of us? they have so many question marks and lost 10 guys on offense. why is Tennessee even ranked?

Same with Michigan...Or am I missing something. Harbaugh factor? Why is ok state so hyped up?

Based on 2014, 2015 and 2016, 13 is very generous and showing tons of unearned respect.  

wde

We WILL be in the championship race barring injuries. No one on the playoff committee will ignore our strength of schedule. Like it's been said countless times...We take care if business and we are setting our calendars for January 8th. I've been saying it ever since after the 13' season and Imma keep saying it. We going back.

10 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Based on 2014, 2015 and 2016, 13 is very generous and showing tons of unearned respect.  

wde

We were ranked in the top 10 during the second half of both the 2014 and 2016 seasons, we have had a dominant running attack since Malzahn got here, we have a passing guru as the new OC to mentor a five star QB transfer, and we had a top 20 defense last season with a lot of experience returning. Also remember that we were technically the second best SEC team last year, which is why we went to the Sugar Bowl, so it's not completely unprecedented. All things considered, I think 13 is a pretty good spot for Auburn, with as much talent as we have coming back and the potential going forward.

11 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Same with Michigan...Or am I missing something. Harbaugh factor? Why is ok state so hyped up?

Michigan is getting love from whoever... no clue.

Okie State will be the best team in the Big12 and their schedule is cake.  

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

We were ranked in the top 10 during the second half of both the 2014 and 2016 seasons, we have had a dominant running attack since Malzahn got here, we have a passing guru as the new OC to mentor a five star QB transfer, and we had a top 20 defense last season with a lot of experience returning. Also remember that we were technically the second best SEC team last year, which is why we went to the Sugar Bowl, so it's not completely unprecedented. All things considered, I think 13 is a pretty good spot for Auburn, with as much talent as we have coming back and the potential going forward.

Ok.  I know you are still drinking the Gus Bus kool-aid, but I am not.  I hope you are correct.  Gus needs to win at least 10 regular season games this year, one of which must be uga, for me to even give Gus serious consideration as being a better than average coach.

wde

15 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Ok.  I know you are still drinking the Gus Bus kool-aid, but I am not.  I hope you are correct.  Gus needs to win at least 10 regular season games this year, one of which must be uga, for me to even give Gus serious consideration as being a better than average coach.

wde

Two national championship game appearances in less than a decade of coaching at Auburn, yet you still don't think he's above average? Wow, you're mighty tough to impress.

Yes, that is meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but when Gus has had adequate QB play, we've been one of the best teams in the country. We saw it in 2010, when Cam took us to the national championship. We saw it in 2013, when Marshall took us to within 13 seconds of the national championship. We saw it in 2014 before the late season collapse (that started because of two fumbles by Marshall against TAMU). And we saw it last season before Sean got hurt.

Now, obviously, I don't know how this season will play out. However, we have more quality QB depth than we've had since Malzahn has been here, and, again, when he's gotten adequate play from his QB at Auburn, Malzahn's teams have been among the best in the country. I don't know that he has to win 10 regular season games to keep his job, but history would dictate that it's likely he'll get to that plateau.

2 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

So i guess this means the Big 10 is a powerhouse now? 

They always are before the season starts then they have to actually play.

Archived