Sal Cannela impressing the team

WFE12

Auburn tight end Sal Cannella quickly using size to advantage in fall camp

By James Crepea

A new target for Auburn's quarterbacks may be emerging early in fall camp.

Sal Cannella was on campus for spring practice and he's made his presence felt through the first three practices this week.

"He catches a lot of contested balls," running back Kerryon Johnson said. "He's a big target, he knows how to use his body to block off defenders. He knows how to go and get the ball. He's a sneaky athlete. I think he's going to be very big for us this year, I think he really will."

What Sal Cannella needed to work on this offseason

At 6-foot-5 and 228 pounds, Cannella is the tallest skill position player on the roster and roughly 25 pounds less than fellow tight end Jalen Harris, who is a more skilled blocker.

During the open viewing windows of the first and third practices, Cannella spend time split out wide, as he did on A-Day, when he had one catch for 15 yards.

Several players have cited Cannella making catches over the top of defenders already in camp.

"He's going to be a tough matchup for DBs," cornerback Javaris Davis said, "because he's big and he's got good ball skills."

While Cannella has yet to be available for interviews at Auburn, teammates and coaches describe him as competitive.

Johnson compared his receiving ability to C.J. Uzomah, while another player said Cannella is unafraid to let defenders know if he beat them on a play.

"I like what I've seen from him," offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. "He's got a little edge about him -- it's impressive. He's a smart football player, knows how to route-run, has really good body control, does a great job catching the ball with his hands. I like what he's bringing to the table so far."

Auburn is expected to utilize its tight ends more this season than it has historically under Gus Malzahn and Cannella should be the key to making that happen. He had 29 receptions for 449 yards and seven scores at Scottsdale (Ariz.) C.C. last season and was a productive receiver in high school.

"We knew he was versatile," Malzahn said. "In high school and even junior college, they put him split out. Of course, you saw him in the spring game, he did pretty good. But he's also really learning to play with his hand down and be able to do some things. He's also done some things at H-back. So he's a real versatile player. I think you could see Chip move him around this year."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope for his sake he plays well enough to ditch the hair.  Let your game do your talking, son.  Not too long ago there was a JUCO kid from California who was all jacked up and supposed to be a great edge rusher.  Had a crazy Italian last name as well.  Remember this is the SEC.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

He may live up to all of that but other then height he's the least impressive looking guy on the team.  

That's a helluva man bun he's got though

21 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I just hope for his sake he plays well enough to ditch the hair.  Let your game do your talking, son.  Not too long ago there was a JUCO kid from California who was all jacked up and supposed to be a great edge rusher.  Had a crazy Italian last name as well.  Remember this is the SEC.

Joel Bonomolo

I could care less what he looks like as long as he gets the job done. His hair looks cool and is his trademark of sorts.  I think he will be a weapon that he have not had in a long time. I cannot wait to see him make those catches that will win some games for us.

Some of these comments make you shake your head . Can he catch ? Can he use his size ? That's all that matters . Can't teach 6'5.

Any talk about getting more use out of the TEs is good talk to my ears. Course he isn't going to be a TE in the sense of what we have seen in the past at AU. But i think comparisons to C.J. are really spot on. I always wished we used him more

10 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Any talk about getting more use out of the TEs is good talk to my ears. Course he isn't going to be a TE in the sense of what we have seen in the past at AU. But i think comparisons to C.J. are really spot on. I always wished we used him more

Lindsey mentioned that Borges as analyst would be working on tight ends. This is great news because I remember Cooper Wallace getting about two huge receptions per game in 2004.

30 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Fade routes in the end zone? yes please

No more jump balls to hasting in the end zone!

I'm a short hair guy myself  but regarding Cannella's do, it doesn't look any worse than Jalen Hurts or Derrick Henry's. Just catch TD passes, Sal!

We actually have fans who care what the players' hair looks like - and that how well they play determines whether they are man enough to cut it or not? Stupid x 1000. Go smoke your Virginia Slims.

I could not care less about Sal's hair.  The only things that matter to me are 1) does he represent AU well and 2) can he help the team.  

19 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I could not care less about Sal's hair.  The only things that matter to me are 1) does he represent AU well and 2) can he help the team.  

Salmonella...hopefully he earns this nickname by making the opponents sick.

35 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Salmonella...hopefully he earns this nickname by making the opponents sick.

Salmonella Canella

Why do I feel like I should hear that phrase/name in a Migos song?

15 hours ago, corchjay said:

He may live up to all of that but other then height he's the least impressive looking guy on the team.  

are you speaking soley on physical appearance  or how he has appeared in practice?

I don't care how long their hair is but if I was on offense I would be afraid some would tackle me by that long hair. And it is also hot.

We have every type of passing target you need and now I feel even better about a redzone target like Sal. Now we can frustrate other teams with a big guy that uses his body to his advantage and dominates. Jarrett has everything a qb would want and need for production. All we need is for the o-line to produce and the team will be very, very dangerous.

10 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

We have every type of passing target you need and now I feel even better about a redzone target like Sal. Now we can frustrate other teams with a big guy that uses his body to his advantage and dominates. Jarrett has everything a qb would want and need for production. All we need is for the o-line to produce and the team will be very, very dangerous.

And let our Offensive Coordinator coordinate

5 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

And let our Offensive Coordinator coordinate

Yep can't forget that!

On 8/3/2017 at 9:38 PM, corchjay said:

Does it matter?

On 8/3/2017 at 10:39 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Cut your hair, hippie. And you, you bad kid, get off my lawn!

Archived