Sal Cannela impressing the team

WFE12

23 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I could care less what he looks like as long as he gets the job done. His hair looks cool and is his trademark of sorts.  I think he will be a weapon that he have not had in a long time. I cannot wait to see him make those catches that will win some games for us.

Words of wisdom.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tough deal. He has to get educated, play football, and get chicks. Their plates are full. Man's got to do what he's got to do. Catch the ball Sal. War Eagle.

1 hour ago, blueridge said:

Does it matter?

No not if he's productive but if he can't hold the edge on blocking what good is having a split-TE that can't block on the edge.  

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

No not if he's productive but if he can't hold the edge on blocking what good is having a split-TE that can't block on the edge.  

Ask Jimmy Graham that.

Clearly he has to work on sharpening his blocking skills, but he was brought in because of his ability to get the jump ball more than anything . He is a natural at receiving, which I think will pay divendends in this offense .  It's nice to have an all around TE , but rarely do they come by. There aren't many Jason Wittens and Tony Gonzalez growing on trees. The game is changing . 1000 yard TEs are making the difference at the next level E.G. Greg Olsen , Gronk. Auburn isn't use to that because they normally have glorified undersize lineman as their tight end. Hopefully that changes and we have O.J. Howard like glimpses with this young man.

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Ask Jimmy Graham that.

Clearly he has to work on sharpening his blocking skills, but he was brought in because of his ability to get the jump ball more than anything . He is a natural at receiving, which I think will pay divendends in this offense .  It's nice to have an all around TE , but rarely do they come by. There aren't many Jason Wittens and Tony Gonzalez growing on trees. The game is changing . 1000 yard TEs are making the difference at the next level E.G. Greg Olsen , Gronk. Auburn isn't use to that because they normally have glorified undersize lineman as their tight end. Hopefully that changes and we have O.J. Howard like glimpses with this young man.

Great post dag . Nothing to add. You nailed it

The biggest asset he brings is keeping us from substituting players and that helps theHUNH offense run faster!

3 hours ago, toddc said:

The biggest asset he brings is keeping us from substituting players and that helps theHUNH offense run faster!

But wouldn't they substitute him out for jalen if they want to run?

On 8/3/2017 at 10:39 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

I just hope for his sake he plays well enough to ditch the hair.  Let your game do your talking, son.  Not too long ago there was a JUCO kid from California who was all jacked up and supposed to be a great edge rusher.  Had a crazy Italian last name as well.  Remember this is the SEC.

His hair from roster picture looks fine. Van Gorders and Fisher's kids were the worst Ive seen.

its 2017 and some of ya'll are still worried about someones appearance? why does it matter if he has long hair or short hair?  if he wears loose fitting clothes or tight fitting clothes?  how he looks has nothing to do with his abilities.  end of conversation.

5 hours ago, KerryThachWDE said:

its 2017 and some of ya'll are still worried about someones appearance? why does it matter if he has long hair or short hair?  if he wears loose fitting clothes or tight fitting clothes?  how he looks has nothing to do with his abilities.  end of conversation.

Well... there are downsides to long hair in football. If your helmet doesn't control it, it can get in your face, and if it sticks out of your helmet, your opponents can grab it.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Well... there are downsides to long hair in football. If your helmet doesn't control it, it can get in your face, and if it sticks out of your helmet, your opponents can grab it.

Somehow, I am minded of old Brylcreem commercials.

Looking at Stidham's passing completion graphic and imagining what Sal brings to the offense is fueling my optimism. Man, it would be great to stress a defense with serious threats down the middle and the sideline simultaneously, or the kind of picks (ooops, no, not picks, accidental collisions) that can break receivers into the open. I'm dreaming of a really scary balanced attack.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I always hated that plus it got in my mouth 

Both Gus and Chip have complimented him on having an edge and teammates have said he has great body control, hands, and he's quick. I personally would love this dude to be Evan Engram reincarnated but I'm cautiously optimistic.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I always hated that plus it got in my mouth 

You old hippie. :beer2:

One question. What is a Tight End and are they eligible receivers???

Anyone know why there weren't more power 5 schools trying to recruit this kid? 6'5 225? What's missing here? Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, and Texas are the only other P5 schools to have offered him (according to this https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2017/sal-cannella-183002) along with a bunch of Group of 5 schools. I really like his measurables I hope he can at least be the red zone threat CJ Uzomah was and we can finally start hurting teams with a dangerous TE!

38 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I'm not expecting much from Sal. I think a lack of blocking ability is the reason.  Anything over a handful of short yardage and RZ catches will be a pleasant surprise. 

He will be utilized more as a split. He just needs to be adequate at it . I will be highly dissapointed in this coaching staff if he isn't get a couple looks per game this year . 

On 8/5/2017 at 2:10 AM, DAG said:

Ask Jimmy Graham that.

Good post, except I'd put Gronk into that all around TE group as well. When he's healthy, he's a very good blocker.

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

He will be utilized more as a split. He just needs to be adequate at it . I will be highly dissapointed in this coaching staff if he isn't get a couple looks per game this year . 

20+ catches this season?  

Archived