Four years later and I'm still mad

JBiGGiE

On 8/4/2017 at 1:43 PM, boisnumber1 said:

The Skinner "catch" against Vandy - maybe the worst call ever. The MO TD catch in the sec championship where the ball rolled on the ground - and those great officials never reviewed it. The Lionel James on-side kick recovery that never was against UF. Always getting screwed by the spot of the ball vs bama. Seals-Jones not called for targeting...this could go on forever.

Ah, I saw "Skinner" and it didn't resonate, lol. The WR for Vandy was Stricker

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

2001 Vandy

We won, but it was a close game, 24-21. Maybe bc it's Vandy, but  I'm surprised nobody mentioned Dan Stricker's "Phantom TD". It tied the game in the 4th 21-21 I believe. 

In my initial assessment of this, I thought his knee came down in bounds (it did), but upon further review, it looks as though his arm touched the ground well out of bounds first.  I can only conclude that the official was watching  his legs/feet and didn't see his arm touch first.  Plus, he was bobbling it until the end.

11 hours ago, triangletiger said:

In my initial assessment of this, I thought his knee came down in bounds (it did), but upon further review, it looks as though his arm touched the ground well out of bounds first.  I can only conclude that the official was watching  his legs/feet and didn't see his arm touch first.  Plus, he was bobbling it until the end.

I can't see that where any part of his body came down is at all relevant. That wasn't a bobble. He never even for a split second had control of the ball. In no way, shape, form or fashion was that ever in any way close to a catch.

13 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I can't see that where any part of his body came down is at all relevant. That wasn't a bobble. He never even for a split second had control of the ball. In no way, shape, form or fashion was that ever in any way close to a catch.

This.  The hilarity of this "no catch" is so big.  How could a trained SEC official not call incomplete?  Even the other officials were confused as to why he made that call.  Looking back, it is so funny.

That Vandy TD may be the worst blown call I've ever seen. I mean if it's that clear with VHS resolution.....

15 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Yeah, on a third viewing, I see that you're right.  I thought he pulled it in before he hit, but it looks like it bounced away from him toward the stands.  The video isn't high quality and my eyes aren't what they used to be. ;).

38 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Yeah, on a third viewing, I see that you're right.  I thought he pulled it in before he hit, but it looks like it bounced away from him toward the stands.  The video isn't high quality and my eyes aren't what they used to be. ;).

You just need a bigger screen.

28 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I had forgotten about that Vandy game in 2001. I was in attendance and thought they blew that call. 

i was there but don't remember the call. they must not have had a jumbotron? all i remember is giving up six points on a 200$ bet. i was wanting to miss the field goal to have a chance to score a td in OT and stop them. but nope Duvall nailed it.

53 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

32 years ago and stills galls me. Tackle the guy in bounds and we win. Think Dye fired someone was over this.

Like to have killed me

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

32 years ago and stills galls me. Tackle the guy in bounds and we win. Think Dye fired someone was over this.

Damn Bivins I think was DB, only guy smaller than Richardson that was trying to tackle him. Maybe most sick I've ever felt at the end of a game. Anybody that was in that stadium can attest to the charade of the 50/50 split when that kick went thru....

15 hours ago, fredst said:

Damn Bivins I think was DB, only guy smaller than Richardson that was trying to tackle him. Maybe most sick I've ever felt at the end of a game. Anybody that was in that stadium can attest to the charade of the 50/50 split when that kick went thru....

There is no why the ball made it out of bounds before his knee hit.  In today's replay world we would know for sure, back then, the ref's focus may have been with the ball and not the knee.  I stop the video before the kick every time. 

Archived