Stidham 2015 Passing Chart (Baylor)

RunInRed

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key to him doing this at AU is protection from OL and good running back blocking!

So if my math is right, he averaged over 12 yds per attempt compared Auburns's 8.0 per attempt last year. Shows at least Baylor was not afraid to stretch the field.

Good to see the number of passes beyond 20 yards outnumbered the passes between 10 and 20 yards, at least, but with this kid's arm that isn't really a surprise.

6 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

So if my math is right, he averaged over 12 yds per attempt compared Auburns's 8.0 per attempt last year. Shows at least Baylor was not afraid to stretch the field.

To be fair, it's difficult for Auburn to stretch the field when we didn't have a QB whose arm could do so.

53 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

To be fair, it's difficult for Auburn to stretch the field when we didn't have a QB whose arm could do so.

I agree. Wasn't trying to roll anyone under the bus.

22 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

So deep left didn't connect very often, but when it did 60% of the time it was for a TD.

Deep Middle and Deep Right are Very high comp%!!!

60% of the time, it works EVERY time

After all this time off and watching his eyes locking onto receivers a lot in Fall practices so far, the interception factor should be the biggest concern re Jarrett. Otherwise he has the tools.

8 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

After all this time off and watching his eyes locking onto receivers a lot in Fall practices so far, the interception factor should be the biggest concern re Jarrett. Otherwise he has the tools.

Has he been having INT problems in practices?

16 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

He's been getting rave reviews about his ability to look off defenders. Plus that's just practice. I really want to see his stats at tomorrow's scrimmage.

The question is:  Does Sean White really have arm strength issues or is that just a myth that is kept alive on message boards?Sure he might not have the strongest arm but couldn't the lack of throwing downfield have been an issue with the offense being predictable combined with mediocre pass blocking?  When defenses know what you're going to run in has to be difficult on the offense and make everything that much harder.  Think about 2003...that was the same team we had in 2004, one offense was terrible and the other was very impressive, the difference was bringing Al Borges in and getting a more new perspective.  Maybe Chip Lindsey will be able to accomplish same thing plus getting Borges as an analyst has got to help.  

5 minutes ago, AU_Dungeon_Master said:

The question is:  Does Sean White really have arm strength issues or is that just a myth that is kept alive on message boards?Sure he might not have the strongest arm but couldn't the lack of throwing downfield have been an issue with the offense being predictable combined with mediocre pass blocking?  When defenses know what you're going to run in has to be difficult on the offense and make everything that much harder.  Think about 2003...that was the same team we had in 2004, one offense was terrible and the other was very impressive, the difference was bringing Al Borges in and getting a more new perspective.  Maybe Chip Lindsey will be able to accomplish same thing plus getting Borges as an analyst has got to help.  

JF3 threw a few long passes in the limited amount of action he saw last season, so I suspect Sean not throwing downfield is directly related to the strength of his arm.

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

JF3 threw a few long passes in the limited amount of action he saw last season, so I suspect Sean not throwing downfield is directly related to the strength of his arm.

Might have been linked to the fact that we did not have anyone who could be depended on to get open down field....questionable routes, no effort to shake off defenders, etc.   

JMO but SW and JS will both look good with the new crop of WRs we have now.    We saw enough dropped passes in the last several years that I could not really blame the QBs for lack of results ...and of course, the coaches were mostly calling safe passes too.

JMO but what's past is past and those stats are irrelevant.    New coach calling plays, two healthy QBs and a raft of WRs who look like they can be reliable catching the ball.   Should be a very different year for several reasons.

11 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

If Sean White can't stretch the field then he's not going to start probably.  It's a shame because SW is a very good QB (when not injured) in a lot of ways.  Stidham is way more methodical while I feel that Sean White is looking downfield and actively thinking on the go trying to improvise, if he doesn't get sacked (sometimes badly) he almost always finds the open WR.  Stidham will make a D pay if they don't cover him; He'll just run for 5-10 yards and slide every time which opens things up.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Might have been linked to the fact that we did not have anyone who could be depended on to get open down field....questionable routes, no effort to shake off defenders, etc.  

...Or maybe it's because Sean doesn't have the arm strength to make deep throws. Again, JF3 attempted a few deep passes despite seeing very little time at QB; why would he take shots downfield but not Sean?

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

...Or maybe it's because Sean doesn't have the arm strength to make deep throws. Again, JF3 attempted a few deep passes despite seeing very little time at QB; why would he take shots downfield but not Sean?

'cause he had even  less control on short passes...but I agree he had more arm than SW...but with SW and KP healthy we did not have as much need to go long.JMO

13 minutes ago, AU_Dungeon_Master said:

If Sean White can't stretch the field then he's not going to start probably.  It's a shame because SW is a very good QB (when not injured) in a lot of ways.  Stidham is way more methodical while I feel that Sean White is looking downfield and actively thinking on the go trying to improvise, if he doesn't get sacked (sometimes badly) he almost always finds the open WR.  Stidham will make a D pay if they don't cover him; He'll just run for 5-10 yards and slide every time which opens things up.

Just to mention that JS almost never ran the ball at Baylor so I wonder where people get the idea he is a running threat ?  

Just now, AU64 said:

'cause he had even  less control on short passes...but I agree he had more arm than SW...but with SW and KP healthy we did not have as much need to go long.JMO

You're right that with White and Pettway healthy there wasn't as much need to go long, but if the long pass is in your bag of tricks, you use it, because it makes everything else work better. 

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but SW and JS will both look good with the new crop of WRs we have now.    We saw enough dropped passes in the last several years that I could not really blame the QBs for lack of results ...and of course, the coaches were mostly calling safe passes too.

JMO but what's past is past and those stats are irrelevant.    New coach calling plays, two healthy QBs and a raft of WRs who look like they can be reliable catching the ball.   Should be a very different year for several reasons.

I think a major issue with offense is that it had become too "inbred".   Gus had become very predictable and there wasn't any kind of outside influence/expertise to interject fresh ideas.   CGM has a different kind of personality, he's very stubborn and kind of OCD. I've heard stories from people on the sidelines when he was an offensive Coordinator at Arkansas that in actual game situations when a play wouldn't work that in frustration he would tell "Do it again!" "We're running this till you do it right!"; then they'd run exact same play again 2 more times.  Other Coaches understand that about CGM's personality. That's why I think it's important to get an outside influence.  Hopefully we won't see anymore games where we completely shut down offensively for half a game when the other half we performed well.  All the pieces are in place for a great season offensively.  Both SW and JS can get it done.  I even think MW (3rd string QB) could get it done.  

Just now, AU64 said:

Just to mention that JS almost never ran the ball at Baylor so I wonder where people get the idea he is a running threat ?  

Well, for starters, he was the #1 rated dual threat QB coming out of high school.

Just now, Rednilla said:

You're right that with White and Pettway healthy there wasn't as much need to go long, but if the long pass is in your bag of tricks, you use it, because it makes everything else work better. 

True..but I wonder if SW was ever 100% at any time last year.  I am not sure we know what he can do. Will be interesting to see how things develop.

Archived