Stidham 2015 Passing Chart (Baylor)

RunInRed

1 minute ago, DAG said:

And what has been expressed to you countless of times, neither of these are adequate comparisons to JS. 

I know that...and never expected it.....was reacting to what I considered overly enthusiastic expectations of his running because he ran in HS or played WR.

As for me.....I would be happy if he could run like SW and not get hurt.....

At least for now, we have three or four top quality RBs and an army of WRs....so I'm very happy if JS never runs the ball other than to escape some blitzing DE that one of the RBs failed to pick up.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I know that...and never expected it.....was reacting to what I considered overly enthusiastic expectations of his running because he ran in HS or played WR.

As for me.....I would be happy if he could run like SW and not get hurt.....

At least for now, we have three or four top quality RBs and an army of WRs....so I'm very happy if JS never runs the ball other than to escape some blitzing DE that one of the RBs failed to pick up.

Well, you will be content because you will soon find that if SW is your baseline, JS will suffice in that category.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, you will be content because you will soon find that if SW is your baseline, JS will suffice in that category.

He will have to do better than he did at Baylor...but I expect you are right....

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I think Stidz will be asked to run about as much as Jeremy Johnson

I agree......and if so,   this season will be the acid test for those persons who have declared that Gus MUST have a running QB of the likes of Cam Nick to be successful.

I hope the only time he runs, or has to run, is on the goal line when he keeps a ZR and no one sees or suspects it, and he walks into the EZ untouched. I think he could be a sneaky valuable asset as a runner, but I don't expect us to use him in that way very much. I think he's too valuable as a passer with the potential weapons we have at WR to risk too much unnecessary injury.

I just hope we aren't going to make it harder on our RBs out of our zone-read look by forcing JS to give the ball up every single time. If we force the DE or OLB to actually think about who has the ball for just a fraction of a second rather than just allow him to come crashing down on the handoff it will be a big help IMO

28 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I just hope we aren't going to make it harder on our RBs out of our zone-read look by forcing JS to give the ball up every single time. If we force the DE or OLB to actually think about who has the ball for just a fraction of a second rather than just allow him to come crashing down on the handoff it will be a big help IMO

I don't think we will because I think that's where the RPO comes into play. Instead of Stidham keeping and running, he pulls the ball and throws to the backside on a slant or bubble or seam, etc. So, you still get the relief for the RBs where a defense can't load up and completely stack the run because they still have to account for action on the back side of the play.

At least, that's the design and theory behind the RPOs.

10 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I don't think we will because I think that's where the RPO comes into play. Instead of Stidham keeping and running, he pulls the ball and throws to the backside on a slant or bubble or seam, etc. So, you still get the relief for the RBs where a defense can't load up and completely stack the run because they still have to account for action on the back side of the play.

Agree....guys like Brady and Manning made a career out of never running the ball....well...maybe once a month or so. 

I want to see an arm....I have this YouTube video I'm subscribed to that shows random college games in an hour and it played us against arky last year....me being the guy I am and hater of all things arky since they hired their current coach decided to watch it since you really stomped them.....I watched sw make some throws that made me cringe....I eventually just stopped watching the game. It made me realize the problem that I see with him that I couldn't put into words previously though....arky just sucks but they dropped A legit 4 picks and two EASY pick 6's.....being a former corner I will tell you this, after watching film I'd be engaged on every single play because I'd be waiting and knowing this is a game where I have a pick 6 easy that puts me one step closer to the league. I just have to wait and be patient, and just as the sky is blue auburn will run some 7-10 yard play where the wr will come back towards the sideline and all I have to do is pounce on it and don't drop the damn ball. Easy money.

33 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I want to see an arm....I have this YouTube video I'm subscribed to that shows random college games in an hour and it played us against arky last year....me being the guy I am and hater of all things arky since they hired their current coach decided to watch it since you really stomped them.....I watched sw make some throws that made me cringe....I eventually just stopped watching the game. It made me realize the problem that I see with him that I couldn't put into words previously though....arky just sucks but they dropped A legit 4 picks and two EASY pick 6's.....being a former corner I will tell you this, after watching film I'd be engaged on every single play because I'd be waiting and knowing this is a game where I have a pick 6 easy that puts me one step closer to the league. I just have to wait and be patient, and just as the sky is blue auburn will run some 7-10 yard play where the wr will come back towards the sideline and all I have to do is pounce on it and don't drop the damn ball. Easy money.

SW has below average arm strength. Great intermediate passer, but arm strength is superiorly lacking. Anybody who is not biased will attest to this. JS can make every single throw SW can make and even more. That will be the difference maker in who is starting or not. Not whether we need a DT QB or not. Pretty simple if you ask me. 

Also, for references, NM is NOT a dual threat QB. Never was. JS does not need to rush for 100 yards nor does he need to have NM speed. He does, however, need to have teams respect his ability to get yardage need be. Something we have been lacking the last two years when running the read option.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

He will have to do better than he did at Baylor...but I expect you are right....

He passed for 934 yards & 6 TDs in just 2.5 starts. 

No. He does not have to do better than he did at Baylor. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

JS does not need to rush for 100 yards nor does he need to have NM speed. He does, however, need to have teams respect his ability to get yardage need be.

I've said it for months. Stidham needs to run about the same number of designed runs as Trevor Knight. About the same speed and elusiveness. 

It looks like he didn't throw much across the middle from 0-10 yards out. Does this mean we may not see as many slants and short crossing routes as much as we are hoping for?  I understand crossing routes a lot of times don't get the receiver the rock in that "zone" but just curious. His numbers aren't bad but only attempted 7 of those passes. Maybe it was a Baylor offense thing?

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5v5xD4hPnXpT5JhEhZHr

That could be...but wondering who decides which HS QB prospect is a DT quarterback....and whether their is an actual definition....or is this some scheme such that Rivals or whoever can have more top rated QBs.    Just looking at his skill set, NM was much more of a DT threat than a good number of guys who get called DT.

Just looking at a recent Rivals list, seems that tall skinny white kids get classed as Pro-style and the rest are DT. :-\

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It looks like he didn't throw much across the middle from 0-10 yards out. Does this mean we may not see as many slants and short crossing routes as much as we are hoping for?  I understand crossing routes a lot of times don't get the receiver the rock in that "zone" but just curious. His numbers aren't bad but only attempted 7 of those passes. Maybe it was a Baylor offense thing?

I think we will see a lot of those slants and crossers in Lindsey's offense. In Baylor's offense, at least what I've seen that they ran with Stidham, they threw a lot of screen passes, short sideline throws, and deep balls.  If anything was down the middle of the field, it was usually a seam route in the 10-30 yard range. 

Here's a video I did of almost all of his throws from Baylor and the A-Day game. I think the Baylor and A-Day throws look a little different, mainly based on offensive scheme. 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That could be...but wondering who decides which HS QB prospect is a DT quarterback....and whether their is an actual definition....or is this some scheme such that Rivals or whoever can have more top rated QBs.    Just looking at his skill set, NM was much more of a DT threat than a good number of guys who get called DT.

Just looking at a recent Rivals list, seems that tall skinny white kids get classed as Pro-style and the rest are DT. :-\

Absolutely but he's lucky because everybody else automatically has accuracy issues once they are dual threats

1 hour ago, DAG said:

SW has below average arm strength. Great intermediate passer, but arm strength is superiorly lacking. Anybody who is not biased will attest to this. JS can make every single throw SW can make and even more. That will be the difference maker in who is starting or not. Not whether we need a DT QB or not. Pretty simple if you ask me. 

Also, for references, NM is NOT a dual threat QB. Never was. JS does not need to rush for 100 yards nor does he need to have NM speed. He does, however, need to have teams respect his ability to get yardage need be. Something we have been lacking the last two years when running the read option.

Yes. Watching the game I felt that he knew exactly where to go with the ball but when he throws you can tell he's mustering up everything he has in his body to throw that hard pass. The ole miss game was similar. Also I noticed it's not the go routes, it's those timing plays at the sideline. If you watch clips of those few games(not just auburn highlights) I think you'd see or you may already see exactly what I'm talking about

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

From this limited sample I don't think anyone should make judgments about JS running ability, good or bad! Y'all are arguing over something without any basis either way! Let's wait and see.

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5v5xD4hPnXpT5JhEhZHr

See this is where you and many people fail. Being a running threat don't just mean you are a true DT QB. NM was an ATHLETE. Huge difference. To be a DT QB, you have to be a threat at passing and running . 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Based on what? Because he can run and throw a little? You are being a huge hypocrite right now if that is the case.  If you look at his stats, NM was in the bottom half of QBs in the SEC in about every stat when it came to passing in 2013. In the SEC. The SEC does NOT have great QBs. He got slightly better in 2014. 

To me, a true DT QB are the Johnny Football, Cam Newton, Dak Prescott, RW, Deshaun Watson, Chad Kelly etc. Most of them will get drafted at QB one way or another. There is really not a huge true sample size of DT-QBs

23 hours ago, WFE12 said:

He's been getting rave reviews about his ability to look off defenders. Plus that's just practice. I really want to see his stats at tomorrow's scrimmage.

As I posted befire todays scrimmage, he stares down receivers. He looks off receivers well most of the time sure, but lock onto a receiver blatantly now and then and it's pick 6 time. Look, it's early, he's rusty, he'll be ready to go game one. I'm just saying, it ain't subtle when he does it.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

See this is where you and many people fail. Being a running threat don't just mean you are a true DT QB. NM was an ATHLETE. Huge difference. To be a DT QB, you have to be a threat at passing and running . 

NM wasn't very accurate at the intermediate stuff but he was a threat at passing the ball deep. And whether you're keeping the defenses honest by nickel and diming, or by throwing the deep ball accurately, the same outcome is achieved: keeping the defenses on the heels for the other threat, the running game. He threw for over 300 against Moo State and 455 against Bama after all. He also made a clutch slant pass on 4th and 9 against FSU to Sammie acoates when we were losing late in the fourth quarter. Put simply, his passing abilitie were effective, just not efficient. 

Archived