Vintage Ads That Would Never Be Allowed Today

Almost too easy. Racism and misogyny have a long and storied history in advertising. 

roblee-shoes-racist-advertisement-featur

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Wonder why Barney did not smoke?

Brutton Snuff !?!?

Sorry to perseverate on the tobacco theme, but (early-mid '50s) Kent's revolutionary Micronite (TM) filter, with its well-publicized efficacy in tar removal, became the cigarette of choice to the "health-conscious" smoker.

B1pML2t.jpg

Trouble was, the secret to Micronite was that it was constructed of crocidilite ("blue") asbestos. They proceeded to very quietly pull it off the market.

My local pub wallpapered the mens room with old magazine ads and articles. One of the ads says "two fingers and a glass is all it takes to become friends" or something like that. It's a whiskey ad. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

My local pub wallpapered the mens room with old magazine ads and articles. One of the ads says "two fingers and a glass is all it takes to become friends" or something like that. It's a whiskey ad. 

Not quite on topic, but

there's a bar in Daphne, AL (Manci's Antique Club) that apparently harbors a hinged, brass fig leaf covering the nether regions of a large, nude-male mural in the "ladies'" room. Lifting of the leaf triggers an old-style fire bell in the bar. Though the bar has closed/reopened several times, the (intact) mural seems to remain. I honestly don't know if my mom triggered it unawares, but my wife and my daughter both rang the bell with full aforethought. None of the three have divulged to me what's under the leaf.

Well, okay,

offending_lysol_lead.jpg

That's right, she should SCRUB HER NETHERS with LYSOL!

Sounds tasty to me. hahahaha

Archived