Do we get a 1K YD season by a WR in 17?

GwillMac6

25 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

What makes you so certain of this? I don't necessarily disagree but given the sample size of all our WR I think it's tough to definitively say that one is undoubtedly head and shoulders above the rest. I would love for this to be the case because I always like seeing GA natives become great players at AU. If you have any insider info please share! 

In my short assessment of our WRs: Kyle Davis - best all around , NCM- (potentially best play maker) and Darius Slayton - best hands . I am really impressive by Slayton and I think he is very underrrated. I don't know if he has Kawhi Leonard size hands but the ball just seems to stick if it's anywhere in his proximity .

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Young man certainly has the hands required. Did you catch the practice video of him on the side one handing catches with each hand?

Wrong Davis.

4 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

What makes you so certain of this? I don't necessarily disagree but given the sample size of all our WR I think it's tough to definitively say that one is undoubtedly head and shoulders above the rest. I would love for this to be the case because I always like seeing GA natives become great players at AU. If you have any insider info please share! 

Just what I'm hearing. 

I've had this discussion a number of times on this board. It has always rubbed me wrong that we haven't had a 1,000 yard receiver in so long. Some of the receivers that have come through our team have been more than capable.

Side note - when is the last time we didn't have a 1,000 yard rusher? (Edit: looks like 2008).

11 hours ago, DAG said:

In my short assessment of our WRs: Kyle Davis - best all around , NCM- (potentially best play maker) and Darius Slayton - best hands . I am really impressive by Slayton and I think he is very underrrated. I don't know if he has Kawhi Leonard size hands but the ball just seems to stick if it's anywhere in his proximity .

I know it's early but we could finally have wr's sent to the draft. This is a very special group.

Absolutely not. If the greatest WR in AU history, Frank Sanders, couldn't do it, then it won't happen with Craig-Myers, Kyle Davis, Slayton, Ryan Davis, Stove, Hastings & Cannella sharing it.

53 minutes ago, War Knight said:

I've had this discussion a number of times on this board. It has always rubbed me wrong that we haven't had a 1,000 yard receiver in so long. Some of the receivers that have come through our team have been more than capable.

Side note - when is the last time we didn't have a 1,000 yard rusher? (Edit: looks like 2008).

I think it bothers me even more in all the years we have been playing football since 1892 we have had 2 TOTAL 1k yard seasons. You got to be freaking kidding me! It is not like we are some scrub school!!! We are a borderline top 10 program of all time. It honestly is embarrassing to me. I know I know just win baby  and do whatever works but it seems like because Auburn is know as RB U every coach we have had sans tater tot would go out of their way to put a emphasis on running the football to give the Auburn Fam what they think we want..... We are just honestly devoid of any big passing or receiving numbers across the board. We have had 1 3k yard passer IN OUR HISTORY! It is no secret I LOVE to air it out and want to throw it all over the yard and set records and truly embark on a NEW age and era in Auburn football buuuuuuuuut at the end of the day it is all about winning so whatever is the best way to win DO IT! WAR EAGLE!

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think it bothers me even more in all the years we have been playing football since 1892 we have had 2 TOTAL 1k yard seasons. You got to be freaking kidding me! It is not like we are some scrub school!!! We are a borderline top 10 program of all time. It honestly is embarrassing to me. I know I know just win baby  and do whatever works but it seems like because Auburn is know as RB U every coach we have had sans tater tot would go out of their way to put a emphasis on running the football to give the Auburn Fam what they think we want..... We are just honestly devoid of any big passing or receiving numbers across the board. We have had 1 3k yard passer IN OUR HISTORY! It is no secret I LOVE to air it out and want to throw it all over the yard and set records and truly embark on a NEW age and era in Auburn football buuuuuuuuut at the end of the day it is all about winning so whatever is the best way to win DO IT! WAR EAGLE!

I don't think we need to change our identity as a run-first team.  That works for us and there are risks with being a pass-first team.  Ideally, we should be able to do both and the running and passing games should complement one another,  If you can't grind it out with a power running game, that puts you at a disadvantage when you want to burn clock or need that 1-2 yards to get a 1st down or score a TD.  If you can't pass, it's tough to play catch-up when you're behind late in a game. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It would be nice to have a more balanced O and get a 1K yard rec. but you have to have a strong running game to win the SEC,  IMHO.

Considering that SEC is usually pretty good on defense across the board guess I'm less optimistic about running up the huge yardage totals being mentioned unless we do it against teams like Mercer and Ga Southern.   It's nice to rack up the yards against teams like that but we need an offensive scheme that will work in the SEC against that level and style of defense played by NS and his disciples. 

And........JMO .....but if we are going to beat our big 3  or maybe big 4 conference opponents we need to be able to control the ball and run the clock, make third and short and avoid 3rd and long, etc.    That means I'm looking for KJ and KP to have big years and the numerous WR and slot guys to each make a valuable contribution ....but no passing records.  

Just thinking that even with Lindsey,  we don't stray much from what we have known over the years as "Auburn football"

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Considering that SEC is usually pretty good on defense across the board guess I'm less optimistic about running up the huge yardage totals being mentioned unless we do it against teams like Mercer and Ga Southern.   It's nice to rack up the yards against teams like that but we need an offensive scheme that will work in the SEC against that level and style of defense played by NS and his disciples. 

And........JMO .....but if we are going to beat our big 3  or maybe big 4 conference opponents we need to be able to control the ball and run the clock, make third and short and avoid 3rd and long, etc.    That means I'm looking for KJ and KP to have big years and the numerous WR and slot guys to each make a valuable contribution ....but no passing records.  

Just thinking that even with Lindsey,  we don't stray much from what we have known over the years as "Auburn football"

The best way to beat any and every team is to have a balance offense . The obvious way to validate that is if we have a 1k yard rusher and 1k yard receiver . Btw, if you are going to beat Bama, you have to pretty much be able to pass on them, unless you have an insane QB who has the ability to go for 100 yards rushing  . The teams they struggle with usually have dynamic QBs, preferably those who can sling the rock.  Look at the stats of Chad Kelly, Bo Wallace , and Johnny football.  Both teams had very good passing abilities more than running . Of course we all know about Clemson. Rarely will you beat Bama trying to control the clock. Rarely.  Also, we need to continuously adapt. There should be no such thing as "auburn football." The king of the hill , Alabama, understood this notion. Quick way to get fired . Ask Les miles about trying to mainstay "LSU Football."

2 hours ago, DAG said:

The best way to beat any and every team is to have a balance offense . The obvious way to validate that is if we have a 1k yard rusher and 1k yard receiver . Btw, if you are going to beat Bama, you have to pretty much be able to pass on them, unless you have an insane QB who has the ability to go for 100 yards rushing  . The teams they struggle with usually have dynamic QBs, preferably those who can sling the rock.  Look at the stats of Chad Kelly, Bo Wallace , and Johnny football.  Both teams had very good passing abilities more than running . Of course we all know about Clemson. Rarely will you beat Bama trying to control the clock. Rarely.  Also, we need to continuously adapt. There should be no such thing as "auburn football." The king of the hill , Alabama, understood this notion. Quick way to get fired . Ask Les miles about trying to mainstay "LSU Football."

You have valid point. I think you have to do both, but be able to run when needed as 64 said 3rd and short and such, when they know it's coming. And that requires a strong running game. We agree more than disagree.

Guest WarEagleSteve

Just a quick note on 1000 yard receivers. It's not as commonplace an achievement in the SEC as you may think. The most any school has produced is Florida with 10 and 8 of those came during the Fun n' Gun Spurrier years. Auburn's 2 is pretty far down the list, sure but it's not like other SEC schools are cranking out a 1000 yard receiver every other year or so. 

I think bigbird is on point with there being more of a likelihood that we'll have four 500 yard receivers than having a 1,000 yard receiver. I think it's fairly likely we get to 3,000 yards total through the air, particularly if Stidham stays healthy all season, but I just don't see us favoring one receiver enough for him to reach 1K. If we DO have a thousand yard receiver, I suspect it will be Kyle Davis, because he impresses me the most of our receiving corps, but we have too many weapons in the passing game not to spread the ball around a great deal. I mean, between Davis, NCM, Stove, Slayton, McClain, and Kerryon, we already had a ton of talent returning, and you add Cannella and Igbinoghene to that mix.

And that's just the passing game. I think, and hope, we'll be closer to a 50/50 split between run and pass, but I still believe this offense's identity will start on the ground. Much as Lindsey should be calling the plays, he still gets his orders from Malzahn, and I don't think Gus wants to stray too terribly far from his bread and butter.

I'm glad we're not going to have to depend on one guy to give us 1,000 and whoever Jarrett passes to will make something out of it.

Archived