Checking in on Georgia Southern

RunInRed

Auburn opens the season hosting Georgia Southern at 6:30 p.m. CT on Sept. 2 at Jordan-Hare Stadium and the game will be televised on SEC Network.

Auburn is a 35-point favorite.

Georgia Southern and Auburn have met just one previous time on the gridiron with the Tigers winning that game 32-17 to open the 1991 season.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

I want better than 32-17 this time. More on the order of 52-17. Even then I might be tad irritated over the 17.

Odds are you should prepare to be irritated. 

The difference between 32-17 and 52-17 will likely depend on how many times our young QB mishandles the option (bad read, errant pitch, fumble at the mesh, etc.). If we can sustain a few drives it will likely limit your total possessions and also keep the score lower but if we have a ton of miscues that result in negative yards and turnovers then yeah I could see it being a blowout.

We lost our sub 4.4 RB but we've got a few guys on offense that can make you pay if they are 1-on-1 or get into open space. If your team is disciplined enough it should limit our big plays, but don't be surprised if a few happen and one or two result in TDs - even if for most the rest of the game you've put our offense in check. It happens.

We've been shut out only twice by a P5 team in the history of our program, but who knows maybe this is #3?

7 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Auburn opens the season hosting Georgia Southern at 6:30 p.m. CT on Sept. 2 at Jordan-Hare Stadium and the game will be televised on SEC Network.

Auburn is a 35-point favorite.

Georgia Southern and Auburn have met just one previous time on the gridiron with the Tigers winning that game 32-17 to open the 1991 season.

Damn did he ever stop to take a breath of air

3 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Want to see a shutout. 8/30/08 was last time Auburn gave up zero points. 

They shutout Alabama a&m last year....Though it was Alabama a&m

2 hours ago, truebluealum said:

We lost our sub 4.4 RB but we've got a few guys on offense that can make you pay if they are 1-on-1 or get into open space

Yeah I watched y'all's game vs ole miss last season and breida was a burner but I see Wesley fields ain't too shabby either.

The difference between 32-17 and 52-17 will likely depend on how many times our young QB mishandles the option (bad read, errant pitch, fumble at the mesh, etc.). If we can sustain a few drives it will likely limit your total possessions and also keep the score lower but if we have a ton of miscues that result in negative yards and turnovers then yeah I could see it being a blowout.

We lost our sub 4.4 RB but we've got a few guys on offense that can make you pay if they are 1-on-1 or get into open space. If your team is disciplined enough it should limit our big plays, but don't be surprised if a few happen and one or two result in TDs - even if for most the rest of the game you've put our offense in check. It happens.

We've been shut out only twice by a P5 team in the history of our program, but who knows maybe this is #3?

Good to have you on the board @truebluealum. I'm excited to see the Eagles run their offense, we don't get to see much of a traditional triple option attack in the SEC, and I'm interested to see what it looks like. Hoping you are on the lesser side of points in this one, but certainly rooting for you guys this year 

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

They shutout Alabama a&m last year....Though it was Alabama a&m

Oh yeah forgot. Thinking FBS Schools.

16 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Yeah I watched y'all's game vs ole miss last season and breida was a burner but I see Wesley fields ain't too shabby either.

I am excited to see Fields as our feature back this season.  A few of us think Fields is the better all purpose back, though there may have only been one other RB in the NFL draft that can keep up with a Breida in the open field.

We have a 4 star receiver that was redshirted that will see major playing time this season and a 6'5 receiver that should see a lot of playing time in red zone situations. So despite our youth there are a ton of new weapons we just haven't had before. Couple that with a few veterans like Myles Campbell (5'6 slot back - but don't let his height fool you) and La Ramsby (featured B-back) and our offense could be really exciting this season.

I just don't know how quickly we will have it all put together. I imagine we have one of the youngest teams in the FBS. This will be the first year that most of the players on the field were recruited with an FBS label, so talent wise we should be better than we've ever been.

The reason Summers went on and on about the excitement piece is because this time last year there was a lot of skepticism from our offensive players going into fall camp about the direction of the offense. Turns out their skepticism was warranted. We have an entirely new offensive staff now with Triple Option veterans at almost every staff position and it has the guys really excited about the season. 

I'm one of the more optimistic of the bunch on our own forums but a good bit of us see this being an 8-4 type season. I honestly think we can get to 10 wins if the offense clicks sooner rather than later.

My only definitely loss I have is to you guys. I personally think we beat Indiana week 4. 

I am excited to see Fields as our feature back this season.  A few of us think Fields is the better all purpose back, though there may have only been one other RB in the NFL draft that can keep up with a Breida in the open field.

We have a 4 star receiver that was redshirted that will see major playing time this season and a 6'5 receiver that should see a lot of playing time in red zone situations. So despite our youth there are a ton of new weapons we just haven't had before. Couple that with a few veterans like Myles Campbell (5'6 slot back - but don't let his height fool you) and La Ramsby (featured B-back) and our offense could be really exciting this season.

I just don't know how quickly we will have it all put together. I imagine we have one of the youngest teams in the FBS. This will be the first year that most of the players on the field were recruited with an FBS label, so talent wise we should be better than we've ever been.

The reason Summers went on and on about the excitement piece is because this time last year there was a lot of skepticism from our offensive players going into fall camp about the direction of the offense. Turns out their skepticism was warranted. We have an entirely new offensive staff now with Triple Option veterans at almost every staff position and it has the guys really excited about the season. 

I'm one of the more optimistic of the bunch on our own forums but a good bit of us see this being an 8-4 type season. I honestly think we can get to 10 wins if the offense clicks sooner rather than later.

My only definitely loss I have is to you guys. I personally think we beat Indiana week 4. 

I could see you beating Indiana week 4. I think Troy, Appalachian St., and Arkansas St. will be tough.

46 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

I could see you beating Indiana week 4. I think Troy, Appalachian St., and Arkansas St. will be tough.

Yeah all 3 of those are going to be great games. Beating App in Boone will be tougher than Indiana in my opinion.

Man, my high school was a triple option team, I haven't thought about a B-Back in a long time. I'll be shocked if we come close to a shutout. Defending the option is a brutal grind. 

6 hours ago, truebluealum said:

6'5 receiver that shoul

Man we should be tested by him but how many times will he get the ball with yall running so much is what I want to know. Yeah I'm also a little worried about myles campbell, dude's a speed demon.

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Man we should be tested by him but how many times will he get the ball with yall running so much is what I want to know. Yeah I'm also a little worried about myles campbell, dude's a speed demon.

That's to be determined. Deondre Glenn is not new to the team, but I have seen him get more activity in practices lately. I anticipate that we'll run the ball between 65-70% of the time. Could be more though, it will be my first time seeing Cook call the offense too.

Archived