European Tour

mustache eagle

60 point wins are uncommon, regardless of the competition.  i was worried the foreign game may surprise our players, but we apparently enjoyed ourselves.

also ... regarding the substitutions ... we have 4 games in less than 10 days, international flight, jet lag, practices and sight seeing - keeping the guys legs under them has to be considered, particularly in a lopsided win.  or we may have a tougher time in the coming games.

anyone know where these European teams rank in the big scheme of things

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Are you guys in favor of platoon subbing? I thought we were better when we shortened our rotation last year and went away from making major subs at a time but I could certainly be mistaken

I think we've got the ability to have a good small ball and big rotation this year so I imagine Pearl will be doing a lot of it in this tournament. 

I'd love to see us able to continue doing it throughout the season if we're able to effectively 

33 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I know those guys must be pretty crappy but dang, wasn't expecting that. Wow in a good way. 

Associazione Sportiva Stella Azzura  is an amateur basketball club based in Rome, Lazio. It plays in the third division Serie B as of the 2015-16 season.

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2017/08/auburn-dominates-in-italian-debut

Desean Murray and Mustapha Heron scored 13 points apiece to lead five Tigers in double figures as Auburn dominated Stella Azzurra 87-29 in its Italian Tour opener in Palahoney Casal Palocco on Wednesday.

Bryce Brown added 12 points on 2-of-6 treys and had five rebounds while Malik Dunbar added 11 points, making his only 3-point attempt, and pulled down six boards. Danjel Purifoy notched 10 points, seven rebounds and two steals.

“I thought the intensity was pretty good,” said Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl. “I thought our defense holding them scoreless in the second quarter was good. We have tried to emphasize that. That was a younger team that we played today and maybe one of the weaker teams we play while we are over here. Our next game against Lithuania will be a lot different.

“I thought our guys played well together. They shared the ball. We showed our athleticism and strength. We rebounded the ball better and defensively.”

Auburn scored the first eight points of the game and led 15-2 I the early going. In the first quarter, Desean Murray led the Tigers with six points, 3 offensive rebounds and two assists while Malik Dunbar had seven points as Auburn led 27-8.

“My first game was great,” said Murray, who redshirted last year after leading the Big South Conference in scoring at Presbyterian in 2015-16. “I loved it. We played with a lot of energy. We played great defense. We played great on offense. We rebounded. We talked a lot. It was fun. It was so good. It was good to even get on the court in a year and some change.” 

The Tigers held Stella Azzura scoreless in the second period to take a 47-8 halftime lead as Mustapha Heron scored seven of his nine first half points in the second quarter. 

Perennial powerhouse Kansas defeated Stella Azzurra 90-56 a week ago by blowing the game open in the second quarter to lead 58-29 at the half.

Auburn held Stella scoreless for 14:04, leading 51-8 before Stella scored with 8:31 left in the third.

“We are trying not to get complacent on the first win,” said Heron. “We have three more games. We are just trying to build and get better every day. This is a great bonding trip, and we are trying to get close. Every day as we get closer to the season, we need to become a tighter unit. I think it’s a good start.

“It was fun. I’m looking forward to an exciting season. We have a lot of different weapons.”

The Tigers outscored Stella Azzurri 27-8 in the first quarter, 20-0 in the second, 24-7 in the third and 16-15 in the fourth.

Auburn led 76-15 with seven minutes to play when Pearl emptied the bench.

“Desean is a really effective player,” said Pearl. “He is a good team player. He’s small for a power forward, but it’s his best position. Even in the SEC, he’s going to present matchup problems for people because he doesn’t play small. It was very nice to see him play as well as he did.”

Auburn travels by train to Florence on Thursday before playing the second game of its four-game tour vs. Lithuania’s BC Silute on Friday at 11:30 am CT in Ponte Buggianese. The Tigers play at Veneto Select on Sunday at 12:30 pm in Montebelluna and close out the tour vs. the Italy All-Stars in Costa Masnaga on Monday at noon.

This was a much better test and the team came through.  It is still way to early to get to excited but this was a good beginning. I especially like what a good game McLemore had and that Chuma appears to have had two very solid games. Does anybody know how much time Spencer had and how he played and is he 100%.  We know that we are pretty strong at guard and small forward and we think we will be good at Center once Wiley comes back healthy so the areas most people had concern with were Power Forward and backup Center. 

I don't know about others but just based on stats which isn't close to the same as watching the game I am feeling better about Power Forward and backup Center.

Aug. 11, 2017

PONTE BUGGIANESE, Italy – Bryce Brown was as hot as the triple digit temperatures in Rome as he scored 20 points on six 3s as Anfernee McLemore had 18 points and Chuma Okeke and Jared Harper both double-doubled as Auburn defeated BC Silute of Lithuania 103-87 to remain perfect after two games of its Italian Tour in Comune di Ponte Buggianese on Friday.

Danjel Purifoy added 14 points and seven rebounds while Okeke notched 13 points, a game-high 11 rebounds and two steals. Okeke, who had eight points and nine rebounds vs. Stella Azzurra in the opener, is averaging a double-double with 10.5 points and 10.0 rebounds in the two games.

Harper had 10 points and dished out a game-high 10 assists to go along with a team-best three steals.

"I thought the intensity was good," said Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl. "I thought the travel got to us a little bit more. All of the touring and being up on our feet a little bit, I didn't feel like we had our legs like we did the first night. This was a much better team, Lithuania."

Falling behind 8-3, Auburn tied it for the first time at 13 on a Jared Harper jumper with 4:07 left in the first period. The Tigers took their first lead at 17-16 on an Okeke jumper and led 26-23 at the end of the opening 10-minute quarter.

"It felt really good," said Okeke. "I was really prepared for this game and had a good night's sleep and a good pregame meal. I felt like we came out and played hard and did what we were supposed to do. That team was a real fundamentally-sound team with a lot of shooters."

spacer.gif

Auburn scored the first seven points of the second period, capped by back-to-back Brown 3s for a 36-24 lead with 8:23 left in the half. Brown made all four 3-point attempts in the first half and was 6-of-7 before missing his last three 3s.

"I was very hot," said Brown. "I was feeling good knowing my point guard had my back and kept hitting me in the right places. Our chemistry is getting better, it's showing that our chemistry is getting better and better every game. We are going to continue to build off of that."

The Tigers outscored BC Silute 20-17 in the second quarter to hold a 46-39 halftime lead.

Back-to-back Brown 3s in a 20-second span made it 69-55 with 3:21 left in the third. Auburn notched its highest scoring quarter on the tour outscoring BC Silute 31-22 for a 77-61 lead after three periods.

The Tigers led 99-77 after a McLemore 3-point play with 2:19 to go, and the bench emptied seconds later. The Tigers had nine dunks in the game led by McLemore with four.

"It was a nice team effort, and we shared the ball," said McLemore, who was 7-of-9 from the field and had five rebounds. "Overall, we played well together, ran our stuff and did what Coach asked us to do.

"They were a nice team, who played five guards at a time. It was a challenge for Horace, Chuma and me and the other bigs to get out on the wing and defend a bit. It was a good learning experience so I would rather do it now than have to do it in the fall."

Mustapha Heron just missed a double-double with nine points and nine rebounds while Desean Murray had eight points and seven boards.

"This is just about learning," said Pearl. "This is about continuing to learn how to play together. I thought Jared Harper did a really nice job with his unit making the extra pass with his unit and finishing with a double-double with 10 assists.

"Bryce Brown offensively and defensively played better. Surprisingly we scored more with the form of what we do. We didn't force the issue as much. I thought Chuma was really strong tonight, being really solid on both ends. Anfernee played well. When you score over 100 points, that's really good. Defensively, we've been playing better than that, and we need to."

The Tigers shot 50 percent (40-of-80) from the floor, 35 percent (7-of-20) from 3-point range and 69.6 percent (16-of-23) from the foul line.

Auburn, which defeated Stella Azzurra 87-29 in Rome on Wednesday, will bus 170 miles to Treviso on Thursday, stopping to tour the Ferrari Museum along the way. The Tigers play at Veneto Select on Sunday at 12:30 pm in Montebelluna and close out the tour vs. the Italy All-Stars in Costa Masnaga on Monday at noon.

29 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

????????????

Not sure if this will answer your question marks but Auburn is playing their offseason (Italian) schedule. I believe the rules are that each school can schedule one of these overseas trips every four years. These are the updates and discussions of these games.

54 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I was just looking for updates on the game today

I posted most of the updates in this thread. Auburn's basketball twitter has all of them (that I'm aware of) 

Archived