European Tour

mustache eagle

Other than a great trip for the players and coaches ....do we really have any belief that playing these mismatches under international rules really tell us anything about prospects for the coming season?  

Glad BP held out Wiley and Heron...both coming off injuries and IMO at least, no point in putting them at risk in games like this.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AU64 said:

Other than a great trip for the players and coaches ....do we really have any belief that playing these mismatches under international rules really tell us anything about prospects for the coming season?  

Glad BP held out Wiley and Heron...both coming off injuries and IMO at least, no point in putting them at risk in games like this.

Its practice man....................I mean its practice

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It probably tells us nothing or close to nothing. But it's encouraging to see Bryce knocking down shots, Harper getting 10 assists in a game, etc. 

At the least it gives us something to talk about that doesn't have to do with Stidham vs White.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Its practice man....................I mean its practice

Probably more to be gained practicing against the PKA intramural team...

But some good food and a chance to broaden their world view.

They are getting early practice that teams not playing against international teams are not getting so that is a big plus. The second game against the Lithuanian team was against a decent team the other two were cake walks but they still got to play 3 games as a team. So this is beneficial for the team and for the individual players it is a great educational opportunity to see Italy.

Yeah i won't be thumping my chest over beating some European teams. But this is an absolutely invaluable experience for the team. This trip lets the team play against some new people which is great with the new people we are working into the line up. But this is a team building trip more than trip more than anything. As Pearl has built the team we've had to rely on a lot of new people each year and commitment to the team over your own stats has been something that has been missing with a lot of the guys we've had come through. Hopefully this experience will bring these guys closer together and help build the team chemistry that is required to reach the levels Pearl is trying to get us too. And hey doesn't hurt recruiting either when you can sell trips like this. 

10 extra practice, 4 practice games, game type fitness, amazing team building trip, reward for the walkons/staff/transfers, etc...

recruiting: Hawaii and Madison square garden/NYC last year and a week and a half in Italy this year ... can you imagine a recruit knowing that he will get to go out n trips like that while playing at Auburn!

On August 13, 2017 at 7:45 PM, AU64 said:

Wait, when did Heron get held out? I thought he played in all four games in Italy?

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Wait, when did Heron get held out? I thought he played in all four games in Italy?

Comment above on Sunday noted they did not play....posted Sunday afternoon late

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Comment above on Sunday noted they did not play....posted Sunday afternoon late

Gotcha. I knew he'd played in games one and two and today. Didn't realize he didn't play in game three. I thought you were saying he hadn't played at all until today. The Wiley part had me confused. 

On 8/14/2017 at 3:08 PM, Charhair said:

Competition aside,

COUGH COUGH MAYBE BRUCE WILL UNDERSTAND DANJEL NEEDS TO BE SHOOTING OUR TECHNICAL AND LATE GAME SITUATION FREE THROWS NOW YES I AM YELLING

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

COUGH COUGH MAYBE BRUCE WILL UNDERSTAND DANJEL NEEDS TO BE SHOOTING OUR TECHNICAL AND LATE GAME SITUATION FREE THROWS NOW YES I AM YELLING

Danjel definitely seems like he should be taking them. I'm hoping the free throws he's getting are because he's getting fouled when he attacks the rim. 

11 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Danjel definitely seems like he should be taking them. I'm hoping the free throws he's getting are because he's getting fouled when he attacks the rim. 

Yes great point. I hope he reverts back to his pre-ankle injury playing style. He can be a big time problem for our opponents when he is aggressive.

29 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yes great point. I hope he reverts back to his pre-ankle injury playing style. He can be a big time problem for our opponents when he is aggressive.

Especially with how effective he was from behind the arc last year. Not everyone will be able to stay with him out there that can stay with him when gets downlow too. Its hard to say what about this team I'm most excited to watch but a healthy Purifoy at SF is up there.

Archived