2017 Fall Camp - Mon, Aug 7 (Scrimmage)

RunInRed

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully someone that saw the scrimmage will give us some details. Gus isn't saying anything except the defense dominated and the QBs were solid "at times". 

Bubba and KJ held out? Yeah I would expect the 1st team defense to have "a very good day". Also it's possible that they don't get tackled at all before the season...I'm ok with that....I guess. "Marlon should be back in a few days" smh!

17 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Bubba and KJ held out? Yeah I would expect the 1st team defense to have "a very good day". Also it's possible that they don't get tackled at all before the season...I'm ok with that....I guess. "Marlon should be back in a few days" smh!

And giving injury updates not worth a penny. As many have already stated it could be an injury that is a hang nail or they're done for the season. But that's just normal Gus.

6 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

The former "face palm" emoji dude we all don't like is claiming JS threw a pick 6 today. 

According to SECCountry, Stidham threw 2 INTs and one was a pick 6 to Jamel Dean. They also said the first team offense only scored one TD that might've been questionably allowed.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-practice-report-fall-camp-scrimmage

A lot of things not to like: Golson is center FOR NOW; KJ and KP not being tackled before the first ball game (sorry but I smell fumbles). Moultry out, Williams out, Davidson out.

We have basically had 2 touch football practices and 1 in full pads but not sure if it was full speed and 3 guys are out. Jeez. About time for someone to break some team rules.

Well that's not what I wanted to read today. Especially about stidham. Damnit :( I guess the good news is we saw what he did at A-day and he was probably just forcing the ball too much today. Cam didn't have the best scrimmages either 

8 minutes ago, boomstick said:

According to SECCountry, Stidham threw 2 INTs and one was a pick 6 to Jamel Dean. They also said the first team offense only scored one TD that might've been questionably allowed.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-practice-report-fall-camp-scrimmage

This actually doesn't bother me too bad. Defenses are usually ahead of offenses early on. Timing might not be right between receivers and QB's  and defensive guys have an advantage of somewhat knowing routes and formations. They have been seeing them every day. Now if this happens in the next scrimmages, then maybe there should be concern.

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

A lot of things not to like: Golson is center FOR NOW; KJ and KP not being tackled before the first ball game (sorry but I smell fumbles). Moultry out, Williams out, Davidson out.

We have basically had 2 touch football practices and 1 in full pads but not sure if it was full speed and 3 guys are out. Jeez. About time for someone to break some team rules.

Not much of that really bothers me honestly. Regarding Golson..it's basically saying it's his job to lose. Unless the new guy is head and shoulders above him; he'll be our starting C. We know what KJ and KP can do. KJ got hurt at A-Day. We need to find out who our 3rd RB will be. I like KJ but he's injury prone too so who's going to be that 3rd RB if either KP or KJ go down? Most of it with these guys seem like precaution. I don't mind it with the vets b/c we know what they can do. 

Any other year i'd be for more contact but I do feel like overall we have a better feel for what many players can do on the team. Therefore, get some reps for the other guys if we can. I don't expect that we'll see the main guys out all of camp but our main questions regarding the season don't involve what KJ and KP can do. 

16 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Seeing that now as well. Watch all our rivals melt. Learning material and lets him know he still has work to do. As for our defense, that makes me excited. Especially about the secondary. Much of the writing about them has been they can be one of the best secondaries we've had at Auburn in a long time. So it sounds like they're looking to make that statement true. 

Malzahn said they were testing the receivers today. It could have been a focus on jump balls to see who was going to fight for it and it happened to result in INTs. Just a thought. 

I sure am glad there is still a lot of practice left before game week.

Jamel Dean. The sophomore defensive back was one of the stars of the session and lined up at first-team cornerback.

This makes me very happy to hear.  We really need another corner opposite CD that can be as much or more of a threat as CD.

3 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Malzahn said they were testing the receivers today. It could have been a focus on jump balls to see who was going to fight for it and it happened to result in INTs. Just a thought. 

I sure am glad there is still a lot of practice left before game week.

For sure. It could've also been a play that was run again and Dean knew what was coming. It could've been a great play by Dean on a well thrown ball. Could've been a tipped pass. He also could've stared down a WR and/or made a poor throw. Lots of reasons not to put too much stock or worry into an INT in a scrimmage. 

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

For sure. It could've also been a play that was run again and Dean knew what was coming. It could've been a great play by Dean on a well thrown ball. Could've been a tipped pass. He also could've stared down a WR and/or made a poor throw. Lots of reasons not to put too much stock or worry into an INT in a scrimmage. 

Right, if this same report comes out at scrimmage 3 then I'll be concerned.

Saying Sean had 2 INTs as well but had 2 TDs. Malik ran with 2nd & 3rd team. 1 TD..no Turnovers. Maybe we should start Malik? Just kidding...just kidding. 

INTs suck but at least our DBs are not getting beat all the time like before! We're not playing 10 - 15 yards off the WRs and waiting from them to catch the ball. Would be interesting to know if the the INTs were close to see if the WRs could break them up or not. Sometimes as a WR you have to play defense.  ***All this is twitter chatter that i've seen more than a couple times so take with a grain of salt. :) ***

Do you want your defense to be lockdown, impregnable or your offense to be high-flying, unstoppable?  You can't have both when you are playing against yourself.  One side is going to sound bad, no matter what.  The positive in all of this is hopefully each unit is facing the best unit they will see all year!

I like the fact that our defense is getting after it. The INTs and sacks they're racking up is making me happy honestly! If you have a defense that good...heck we know we can run the ball no matter what. As long as those INTs don't translate over to game day. I think JS and SW are pretty cautious with the football and in practice who knows...we could've been testing the limits of our passing game along with the DBs so at this point i'm not that worried at this point. I expect the offense to bounce back in the 2nd scrimmage.  

18 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Yeah, the more I think about it the more it doesn't bother me as much. Like you said we didn't see the interceptions so who knows... could've been a deflected pass or the receiver could've ran a wrong route. Could've just been a Hail Mary type throw, like I said it's a scrimmage so he was probably forcing things he would never force in a regular game. 

I'll also say this... word on the street is this is most depth we've had on defense since 04 and could be even better. So it's not like he's out there throwing against UAB corners. I'd like to see a QB, on any team, that has a perfect scrimmage every game. Let me know if you find him 

Archived