2017 Fall Camp - Mon, Aug 7 (Scrimmage)

RunInRed

Some info from PTB would be good right now.

I mean, there's always some worrying info at fall camp, even in years that turn out good (McNeal getting kicked off and Whitaker getting injured in '13). On 8/13 last year (I have very good memory) WDEWDE posted a report about the QBs that sounded straight out of 2012.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't know how to interpret the scrimmage.  Stidham has thrown a few interceptions that gives me a tad of hesitation, but so has Cam Newton in his practices at his training camp.  I also realize today's scrimmage Hand was mixing and matching the linemen all over the place, which can lead to blown assignments where Stidham/White were forced to throw jump balls.  I am not worried in the slightest of holding out the RB's, actually I think it is a great move.  What else does Pettway need to prove?  With Malzahn's wording on Golson, I think he will be fine at center.  What I can't tell, and maybe someone else on here can help is, is our defense that good this season, or is the offense just not clicking yet?  I am not panicking at all.  Remember this time last year?  Everyone on this forum was running around with their heads cut off and all of the buildings were on fire:

ALN8SgY1Fbhja.gif

I would say this forum is handling things pretty well so far.

Well my vote is that our defense is that good. I also think you're right regarding the movement with the OL. That's why I think it's vital to lock down who the starters will be on the OL as soon as possible. That cohesiveness matters. I know the process should not be rushed but hopefully today we learned some significant information about the OL. 

A little bit of both. Early on the defense should be ahead of the O. It takes a little more time to click on O. Especially with significant changes.  And also our D is good, maybe/hopefully even elite!

You want to go through adversity in fall camp so that you're more prepared when the real games come. I am not the least bit worried about Stidham (or White for that matter) throwing INTs.  He will learn from every one of them. 

And yeah, I have no problem with KP and KJ not getting tackled in camp. We all know what they are capable of. 

This is good IMO. Usually when things sound too good to be true for us that is actually the case.

Yeah yeah, I'm not really one that is afraid of hype (it's really just media being poor at their jobs) but a bad performance like this alleged one can help assist with any re-focusing necessary. 

Yes, I understand the team has had basically 2 practices under their belts at this stage...

38 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I honestly don't know how to interpret the scrimmage.  Stidham has thrown a few interceptions that gives me a tad of hesitation, but so has Cam Newton in his practices at his training camp.  I also realize today's scrimmage Hand was mixing and matching the linemen all over the place, which can lead to blown assignments where Stidham/White were forced to throw jump balls.  I am not worried in the slightest of holding out the RB's, actually I think it is a great move.  What else does Pettway need to prove?  With Malzahn's wording on Golson, I think he will be fine at center.  What I can't tell, and maybe someone else on here can help is, is our defense that good this season, or is the offense just not clicking yet?  I am not panicking at all.  Remember this time last year?  Everyone on this forum was running around with their heads cut off and all of the buildings were on fire:

ALN8SgY1Fbhja.gif

I would say this forum is handling things pretty well so far.

Have you seen the INTs Stidham has thrown? Are they a product of poor throws/bad decisions by Stidham or a product of unfortunate circumstances (tipped pass, great DB play, jump ball, etc.)? I'm not too worried either way, but if it starts coming out that he's throwing JJ-like INTs where he's staring down WRs (like @aucanucktiger mentioned in another thread), I might start worrying a little more.

6 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

When we scrimmage against ourselves, there is a positive and a negative takeaway from every single play. 

Exactly. It's kind of like playing yourself in chess then beating yourself up because you allowed yourself to checkmate yourself. 

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

When we scrimmage against ourselves, there is a positive and a negative takeaway from every single play. 

Yep....and even more than just one positive and negative every single play. Individual battles all over the field and someone has to win each of them.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

This actually doesn't bother me too bad. Defenses are usually ahead of offenses early on. Timing might not be right between receivers and QB's  and defensive guys have an advantage of somewhat knowing routes and formations. They have been seeing them every day. Now if this happens in the next scrimmages, then maybe there should be concern.

Agree with this. New O, same D as last year with a lot of returners. It should be this way until O figures things out.

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

This makes me very happy to hear.  We really need another corner opposite CD that can be as much or more of a threat as CD.

Could mean J Davis to Nickel, equally as exciting!

Actually this was against our first team defense and probably a true test. Looks like we did not pass the test that well. But the good thing is that we have 4 weeks to get it right.

3 things:

1) It sounds like our O line is a mess. To me that is the biggest issue. We have talent galore but it sounds like we are trying to put people in places they are not comfortable. If JS is getting pressure and has no time to throw we are in trouble. 

2) Our defense may be legit!

3) Not having our best players at RB is also going to hurt the offense. 

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Well that's not what I wanted to read today. Especially about stidham. Damnit :( I guess the good news is we saw what he did at A-day and he was probably just forcing the ball too much today. Cam didn't have the best scrimmages either 

I'm not worried. He'll only get right back to work, studying film and such. Steele's harping on turnovers is paying off which is great. I would imagine Stid didn't just carelessly throw a pick. Hopefully Dean and Roberts baited him into throwing picks. Only the first scrimmage btw.

1 hour ago, LakeBum said:

Do you want your defense to be lockdown, impregnable or your offense to be high-flying, unstoppable?  You can't have both when you are playing against yourself.  One side is going to sound bad, no matter what.  The positive in all of this is hopefully each unit is facing the best unit they will see all year!

Part of the reason why I would want them to go up against bubba and KJ to do this against the best players on the team to ultimately make them better but we still have solid RB's to test them big and small.

38 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I'd put more stock into A-day than I would this scrimmage because it was on a real field and a live game. Just watch JS throws from that game and relax 

Yeah but A-day was also against 2nd team defense unlike these scrimmages, but I do agree not to worry much.

33 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Actually this was against our first team defense and probably a true test. Looks like we did not pass the test that well. But the good thing is that we have 4 weeks to get it right.

3 things:

1) It sounds like our O line is a mess. To me that is the biggest issue. We have talent galore but it sounds like we are trying to put people in places they are not comfortable. If JS is getting pressure and has no time to throw we are in trouble. 

Like others have said bit could have been the o-line shuffling that caused problems. I would wait til the next scrimmage to judge them...Don't want the situation at clemson to happen again though.

6 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Now there's a rumor that SW threw the picks and not JS. Would be hilarious considering fake news al dot com is already wet 

Heard that, and I immediately thought someone in the football program was trying to cover something up. It seems all of the info out right now has come from 1-2 players, and it's possible those players were wrong about who threw what passes. But I'm a little skeptical. I'm also not worried about the INTs unless it's been a problem throughout the practices and/or he just is making really bad decisions. 

Nobody needs to panic over anything today. Defense is always ahead of offense at beginning. Also it is pretty easy when our our top 2 rbs were held out. I was not at scrimmage today, I was not able to make it. I havent had chance to talk at length about it to people who were there.  I can promise u JS will be very good as will our offense and I will leave it at that.

50 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

3 things:

Your 3rd point is exactly what I was thinking. 

Is it weird that a negative report about the offense kind of makes me feel better? I hope it slows down the hype train and keeps them grounded.

Archived