2017 Fall Camp - Mon, Aug 7 (Scrimmage)

RunInRed

18 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

There once was a time long ago when 5 practices into fall camp, a team was expected to not be 100% perfect in all phases of the game. It was expected that interceptions and fumbles and missed tackles would happen as players were knocking off rust and learning new schemes and positions. We expected players to be moved around to different positions as coaches experimented with various personnel combinations. We understood that scrimmages were controlled, playbook and blitz packages were limited, and you needed to use full context before worrying about the fate of the season. I miss those times. 

I too miss those times. Instantaneous news is a blessing and a curse because of misleading news from time to time. This of course from an old school guy who looked forward to the Sunday morning sports page second only to the anticipation of Christmas morning presents. There's such a rush to report first, then check facts and if necessary, make a correction later. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not worried about QB play if either JS or SW are healthy and we truly  have an independent OC running the O.  I am more concerned about Hand figuring out our OL.  All that matters to me is what we see on the field when the games start to count.  Gus has to/should win big this year.

wde

52 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

There once was a time long ago when 5 practices into fall camp, a team was expected to not be 100% perfect in all phases of the game. It was expected that interceptions and fumbles and missed tackles would happen as players were knocking off rust and learning new schemes and positions. We expected players to be moved around to different positions as coaches experimented with various personnel combinations. We understood that scrimmages were controlled, playbook and blitz packages were limited, and you needed to use full context before worrying about the fate of the season. I miss those times. 

That was in the days before internet forums.  Now people analyze every play and every player and even in practice, rarely is anything forgiven..  Makes coaches and players risk averse....too bad....JMO.

12 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I am not worried about QB play if either JS or SW are healthy and we truly  have an independent OC running the O.  I am more concerned about Hand figuring out our OL.  All that matters to me is what we see on the field when the games start to count.  Gus has to/should win big this year.

wde

My thought on Hand and the O-line.   After spring camp he has an idea of who is going to play where.  We bring in two graduate transfers with a great deal of experience.  He now has had 4 practices, most with no pads and one scrimmage to see what they have and how they fit.  It is gonna take some time and reps.  WE should be thankful that we actually have some depth on the O-line.   JMO

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

My thought on Hand and the O-line.   After spring camp he has an idea of who is going to play where.  We bring in two graduate transfers with a great deal of experience.  He now has had 4 practices, most with no pads and one scrimmage to see what they have and how they fit.  It is gonna take some time and reps.  WE should be thankful that we actually have some depth on the O-line.   JMO

Hope it doesn't take to long. You make a good point about the new players coming in, we need to see what role they will play.

OL needs to be settled after the next scrimmage. If it is not then that will be my major concern going into the season. Glad to hear the D was looking strong yesterday. Hopefully the offense can catch up once all the positions get settled and hopefully that happens soon. 

20 minutes ago, gravejd said:

OL needs to be settled after the next scrimmage. If it is not then that will be my major concern going into the season. Glad to hear the D was looking strong yesterday. Hopefully the offense can catch up once all the positions get settled and hopefully that happens soon. 

I am not that concerned . They have three weeks plus Georgia Southern to settle on OL starters .... Just my view but a little indecision is not a bad thing . ...keep everyone focused.  The quality is there , it is a matter of establishing the best grouping.  

Otherwise...I expect a muscular defense and would be very disappointed if our O was having its way so early. 

2 minutes ago, AU IO PHD said:

There is some great info in this thread.  I'm new here, but I want to say thanks to all of those who have shared what they know.  War Eagle!

Welcome home.

8 minutes ago, AU IO PHD said:

There is some great info in this thread.  I'm new here, but I want to say thanks to all of those who have shared what they know.  War Eagle!

Welcome to AUF PHD

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

That was in the days before internet forums.  Now people analyze every play and every player and even in practice, rarely is anything forgiven..  Makes coaches and players risk averse....too bad....JMO.

Da heck ya say!

I've been involved with this forum in its various forms for 20 years, when EXACTLY was this???  :poke:

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

She isn't afraid to take pictures in a bikini. 

Link?

wde

35 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Thoughts?

I'm high on Dunn. I have no problem with him taking the center job. Surprised if Golson starts at left guard, though. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

My takeaways from the first scrimmage.................... Nothing. Means absolutely nothing. The O was as vanilla as vanilla can be. 

Coming from you, no news is good news.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I am not that concerned . They have three weeks plus Georgia Southern to settle on OL starters .... Just my view but a little indecision is not a bad thing . ...keep everyone focused.  The quality is there , it is a matter of establishing the best grouping.  

Otherwise...I expect a muscular defense and would be very disappointed if our O was having its way so early. 

I'll admit that i am and will continue to be overly sensitive and concerned about the OL during fall camp just based on how things played out last year. The transfers in didn't give me the warm and fuzzies either. So expect me to freak out over OL news. 

Now with that said....I feel like this shouldn't be that hard of a OL to put together. You have a 3 guys coming in who are new to the line and could play (Ashley, Dunn, and Bell) and i can understand the coaches needing more info in them, but then you have a bunch of guys the coaches have been around for some time and should know what they bring to the table. I feel like if it takes you more than 2 scrimmages to figure out who fits best where then you are over thinking things. And if you are still trying to figure things out on game day then you aren't doing something right at practice.

Just now, gravejd said:

I'll admit that i am and will continue to be overly sensitive and concerned about the OL during fall camp just based on how things played out last year. The transfers in didn't give me the warm and fuzzies either. So expect me to freak out over OL news. 

Now with that said....I feel like this shouldn't be that hard of a OL to put together. You have a 3 guys coming in who are new to the line and could play (Ashley, Dunn, and Bell) and i can understand the coaches needing more info in them, but then you have a bunch of guys the coaches have been around for some time and should know what they bring to the table. I feel like if it takes you more than 2 scrimmages to figure out who fits best where then you are over thinking things. And if you are still trying to figure things out on game day then you aren't doing something right at practice.

We had the room for the transfers so I wouldn't make a big deal out of it IMO. Helps with depth. 

48 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are may the best man win.....but i'm not sure about moving Golson to OG. 1. he has never played guard and 2. he did really well as our C last year. As long as we aren't sticking Golson out at tackle again then i'm hopeful

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We had the room for the transfers so I wouldn't make a big deal out of it IMO. Helps with depth. 

And if they only provide depth then i won't be worried. I'm not convinced they were only brought in for depth quite yet. 

Archived