2017 Fall Camp - Mon, Aug 7 (Scrimmage)

RunInRed

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

My thoughts are may the best man win.....but i'm not sure about moving Golson to OG. 1. he has never played guard and 2. he did really well as our C last year. As long as we aren't sticking Golson out at tackle again then i'm hopeful

Fyi, he actually played a good bit of guard at Ole Miss and was rated the #3 OT coming out of high school. He was force-fit into the center position- that was the only position he'd never played before- because we had nobody else, and "really well" might be a generous review of his performance there IMO. 3rd team preseason All-SEC for a rising senior and 3rd year starter... I mean, that's okay, but it's not like we're moving 2014 Reese Dismukes or 2010 Ryan Pugh to another spot. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gravejd said:

And if they only provide depth then i won't be worried. I'm not convinced they were only brought in for depth quite yet. 

If they win the job more power to them. Dunn was given a shot because we needed depth this year at C. Bell wanted to finish at AU because he grew up a AU fan. Win win for everyone. We are absolutely loaded with top notch guards. 

2 hours ago, stoic-one said:

Da heck ya say!

I've been involved with this forum in its various forms for 20 years, when EXACTLY was this???  :poke:

I've been following AU football for 60 years......but only forums for maybe 5 or 6 years.   So guess my observation related to the times while you were still in the cradle or before.....:)

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I've been following AU football for 60 years......but only forums for maybe 5 or 6 years.   So guess my observation related to the times while you were still in the cradle or before.....:)

YAY!!! You're older than me!!! Not by that much, but still.  :bananadance:

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I'll admit that i am and will continue to be overly sensitive and concerned about the OL during fall camp just based on how things played out last year. The transfers in didn't give me the warm and fuzzies either. So expect me to freak out over OL news. 

Now with that said....I feel like this shouldn't be that hard of a OL to put together. You have a 3 guys coming in who are new to the line and could play (Ashley, Dunn, and Bell) and i can understand the coaches needing more info in them, but then you have a bunch of guys the coaches have been around for some time and should know what they bring to the table. I feel like if it takes you more than 2 scrimmages to figure out who fits best where then you are over thinking things. And if you are still trying to figure things out on game day then you aren't doing something right at practice.

Been my observation over the years that coaches are sometimes trying to settle on their starters well into the season....being that practice and games involve a different environment and level of pressure. 

It would be nice to have it settled....but on the other hand, nobody should think they have the job won three weeks before the season starts....

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If they win the job more power to them. Dunn was given a shot because we needed depth this year at C. Bell wanted to finish at AU because he grew up a AU fan. Win win for everyone. We are absolutely loaded with top notch guards. 

Bell was an AU fan? Why didn't he sign with Auburn out of high school? Did we not offer? Not trying to give you a hard time, but inquiring minds and mine want to know.:ucrazy:

13 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

What is the point in posting this here? Lol 

Just out of curiosity, how does a hot girlfriend get a pass to a closed scrimmage?  Asking for a friend.

7 minutes ago, API said:

Just out of curiosity, how does a hot girlfriend get a pass to a closed scrimmage?  Asking for a friend.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Really? In all seriousness then why is the juggling of all positions continue. IMO if we were so loaded, 2 guards would pretty much be penciled in, Golson at center, Smith at RT and the only question could be LT. But as it stands, it seems the only certainty is Smith at RT. I know it is very early in the process but I am beginning to wonder if the coaches have some concerns about our OL.

At the end of last season I would have said Horton goes to LG, everyone else stays the same and the only question we would have had was RT. Now it seems RT is the only set and everything else is up in the air. Hopefully this coming Saturday's scrimmage gets things settled.

14 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

So, to summarize, what we actually know from yesterday's scrimmage is we don't know for a fact is which QB did what.

That's what I think. People who claim they were there say Stidham threw some INTs. A player said he did. The media said he did and then said he didn't. Sounds like nothing is clear. 

10 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Really? In all seriousness then why is the juggling of all positions continue. IMO if we were so loaded, 2 guards would pretty much be penciled in, Golson at center, Smith at RT and the only question could be LT. But as it stands, it seems the only certainty is Smith at RT. I know it is very early in the process but I am beginning to wonder if the coaches have some concerns about our OL.

At the end of last season I would have said Horton goes to LG, everyone else stays the same and the only question we would have had was RT. Now it seems RT is the only set and everything else is up in the air. Hopefully this coming Saturday's scrimmage gets things settled.

maybe they are juggling to give everyone a shot to prove what they can do...it's camp...this is what happens early on. i believe it will sort out well before the team starts game planning for GSU....

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Fyi, he actually played a good bit of guard at Ole Miss and was rated the #3 OT coming out of high school. He was force-fit into the center position- that was the only position he'd never played before- because we had nobody else, and "really well" might be a generous review of his performance there IMO. 3rd team preseason All-SEC for a rising senior and 3rd year starter... I mean, that's okay, but it's not like we're moving 2014 Reese Dismukes or 2010 Ryan Pugh to another spot. 

And don't forget... if Dunn beats him out for the position, it means he's playing it better... so... upgrade!

2 minutes ago, boomstick said:

That's what I think. People who claim they were there say Stidham threw some INTs. A player said he did. The media said he did and then said he didn't. Sounds like nothing is clear. 

It's crystal clear.  Red said he threw 2.  That's all we need to know, because Red was probably there, and if not, he knows plenty of people who were.

40 minutes ago, API said:

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

My takeaways from the first scrimmage.................... Nothing. Means absolutely nothing. The O was as vanilla as vanilla can be. 

Well how different do you think next scrimmage will be? As vanilla as before?

2 hours ago, stoic-one said:

YAY!!! You're older than me!!! Not by that much, but still.  :bananadance:

Bunch of old farts......................around here

Good interview with Smith....and sounds like he thinks it is moving along well with settling on the OL.

twitter saying Tega started out with 1st team o-line.  

First-team OL: LT Prince Tega Wanogho, LG Mike Horton, C Austin Golson, RG Braden Smith, RT Darius James.

Archived