Cop shooting video

alexava

This incident shows how complex a simple traffic stop can be.  The officers suspect this hombre has a stolen cell phone, but don't know this guy, evidently, is willing to get in a gun fight because he doesn't want to comply with instructions.  The article indicates previous training have been "ask, tell, make" and now it's more of a kinder, gentler approach.  One thing I picked up on was the officers told the suspect they were going to tase him if he didn't comply and that is when the suspect acted.  Previous training the officer would have tased him without the warning.  Of course, the suspect probably would have survived and may have sued the city for police brutality.  It seems that the police officers have to determine, in a short period of time, the intend of the suspect by asking questions and requesting compliance. 

The whole thing went down in a nanosecond and the officers did not have their weapons drawn.  It's amazing the officers had the time to react and that goes back to their training.  Speaking of training, I can see why grand juries do not indict police officers in some of the more public shootings.  If the police officer and his counsel can show that the officer followed Standard Operating Procedures and training, it would be hard to convict.

There is a fine line between a "good" shooting and a criminal act by the police.  It's all about the training, IMO.

It's hard to opine on what they "should have" done. sometimes its a no win situation. if they had tazed him and injured him even with a gun in the car, they are the bad guys. Still they chose a career with risk they must accept. But this is why i will not criticize force when they gave several minutes to comply. they tried the easy way for too long. with the door handle missing i don't know how to get him out. but when you are told to surrender you comply or get handled. While the outcome was much different the Eric Garner case comes to mind. i hope the injured cop is ok.  i am really interested to know what else this "bad hombre" had on him to be so damn evil.

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

It's hard to opine on what they "should have" done. sometimes its a no win situation. if they had tazed him and injured him even with a gun in the car, they are the bad guys. Still they chose a career with risk they must accept. But this is why i will not criticize force when they gave several minutes to comply. they tried the easy way for too long. with the door handle missing i don't know how to get him out. but when you are told to surrender you comply or get handled. While the outcome was much different the Eric Garner case comes to mind. i hope the injured cop is ok. EH i am really interested to know what else this "bad hombre" had on him to be so damn evil.

I would be willing to bet that truck was set up in that way for nefarious reasons.  It seems that gun came out of nowhere the officers didn't see it until it was too late.  You're right, this bad dude was protecting something and gave his life for it.

There are also many videos that shows some policemen letting authority go to their heads. I don't think there is anybody that doesn't appreciate good policemen, the worst enemy to good policemen are bad policemen.....But unfortunately more times than not the bad policemen get the respect and support that should be exclusive to good policemen.

I didn't until yesterday. It's quite disturbing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived