Pulling starters when winning big?

abw0004

This is something I have been thinking about, and thought I would pose this question to the board.  I, for one, am not taking Georgia Southern for granted, and realize that can be a very dangerous offense, and also can easily hurt someone considering all of the cut blocks.  IF we pull ahead by a big margin come halftime, would it be wise for us to pull the critical starters, including the quarterback?

I understand we need the starters to gel, and get them to do it as quickly as possible before the grit and grind of the season is fully underway.  However, could it also be a competitive advantage for us for select starters to be pulled?  For example, we play Clemson the second game.  As it stands, they do not have much tape at all on Stidham.  They also do not have much tape on Chip Lindsey and how he will run his offense at Auburn.  If we protect Stidham, and put in Sean White the second half, this limits the tape Clemson will have on Stidham going into the game.  They already know Sean White, who is more than capable of handling the second half of the Georgia Southern game.  We can still leave the starting offensive line in the game however.  On defense I suggest to rest the key starters to protect their health, especially on the defensive line where they will be relentlessly cut-blocked.  This also helps is create depth in areas we desperately need it. For example in the secondary, we need the second and third stringers to get quality reps in a game so if the starter does go down, they know what to do without their heads spinning.

We have had key starters get hurt in "smaller" games before.  An example is Joshua Holsey against Jacksonville State in 2015 where he suffered a season ending injury.  

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but one at least worth sharing.  War Eagle!

If we have a big lead at half-time we do pull some of the starters. Assuming JS wins the QB job it is not a big drop off to SW.  We have solid backups at RB so no problem bringing in subs there. O-Line I would keep in as they need as much time together as a unit as they can get to gel.  We have solid depth in receiver corps also so no huge drop off there either.

On D we are already playing 8-10 D-Lineman so maybe give some of the newer guys a bit more in second half. Might be a good chance to get freshmen LB's some real playtime to build depth and we definitely need to find some more depth in secondary so yes to them.  I want us to score big and run score up some also but getting younger players PT and building up depth is important in case we have injuries down the road.

I think we can still be potent even with some backups in.

Given its a new offensive coordinator, possibly a new QB and a new OL unit I think we give them as much playing time as possible in their first game before we go play the defending national champions on the road for our 2nd game.  Assuming Stidham starts, you have to remember he didn't play football last year.   I would be OK with pulling them at some point in the 4th though.  

With the defense though other than getting used to hitting/tackling another team GSU's offense is going to be nothing like Clemson.  I'm good with sitting them at half.  

27 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

O-Line I would keep in as they need as much time together as a unit as they can get to gel. 

The is the only important thing to me. We'll need to rep the youngsters later in the season, but early on... what you said. 

Good question. I'm fine for pulling the starters, but if we are playing backups let them get good reps. Over the past few years, a big lead means bringing in backups to run up the middle 12 straight times. Let our backups get reps throwing, catching, and blitzing. Let's just hope this scenario is very common this year. ?

Always pull starters if winning big! And i think this is especially important for the QB position. There is just no substitute for knowing how your guy reacts under pressure. We would have known a lot more about backups in previous years had we given them more opportunities. But one of my gripes about Malzahn is he doesn't seem to share the offensive wealth around very well when things are humming. 

I'm fine with pulling guys, but don't expect a big lead early.  By their nature, triple option offenses shorten games and limit opportunities for the other team.  Even if we have a good defensive drive where we may give up a first down before forcing a punt, that means 3-4 minutes of game time will roll off the clock (rather than maybe 2 or so with a passing offense).  I think we win easily, but being a gambling man and knowing that triple option teams don't often lose by 40-50 points, that 5+ TD spread sure looks appealing to lay money down on GA Southern.

No, I doubt we'll see most starters getting pulled until the 4th for the 1st game. Let the OL gel, Stidham get the rust knocked off at game speed, and the DL to get good and used to cut blocking. I know the cut blocking is extremely scary, but IF our DL is as nasty as we hope they'll be seeing a lot more cut blocking against quick pass game plans in their future. With that said, I'd absolutely get Pettway and KJ out of the game at the half. Miller, KMart, and Barrett can handle the load against GSU.

IMO the coaches can't be scared of injuries or they will pile up.

NOW, by all means let's get the backups quality reps Week 3 against Mercer, ULM, and any SEC teams we (hopefully) blow out the water ala Arky 2016.

I'm ok with playing a lot players if we have a lead. But please let them run the offense and not just run out the clock. Like Webb said I hate to see the backups come in and run up the middle play after play after play. Let them get real game time experience with the entire offensive system.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Good question. I'm fine for pulling the starters, but if we are playing backups let them get good reps. Over the past few years, a big lead means bringing in backups to run up the middle 12 straight times. Let our backups get reps throwing, catching, and blitzing. Let's just hope this scenario is very common this year. ?

This will be the most interesting thing to watch with the transition from Gus/Rhett to Chip. Gus's number one phobia is turnovers.  He hates them with a passion. It will be interesting to see if he lets Chip play someone who he feels is a turnover risk, or if he does, he lets him run the full playbook. That was the issue last year. He didn't trust Jeremy or John not to throw a pick, so he dumbed the offense down whenever they were in. 

When the opponent was a nominal threat, and we were up a lot, he would also go into clock burner mode. Hopefully Chip can stress the importance of live reps over not running up the score.

Another observation was from Stidham's passing chart thread.  Somebody posted a video (thanks to who did this, didn't go back and look at who) of all of his passes.  At one point Baylor was beating Rice 63-17 in the 4th quarter and Stidham was still in slinging it down field.  Gaining experience and becoming more comfortable with each other early in the season is more important then worrying about injury IMO.  You can get injured in practice..  Sit them in the other cup cake games once we know what were working with.

I would have appreciated Pettway being pulled out of the Vandy game last year, but I don't think we were in a position to do so. Him not being able to play for the uga game (among other things) killed me. 

I would love for Clemson to not get a lot of tape on Stidham, but would really like him to get as much live action as he can with the offense.

Most importantly, I would love for AU to be in this position at halftime. ???

whatever we do with backups ... when they are in, they need to be able to run the offense.  i dont know if franklin could have shown anything when in games last year, but he was hosed by not being allowed to throw the ball more than he did in his mop up duty.

First, no guarantee we have the lead, much less a big lead at halftime.

Anything less than a 42-0 halftime lead tells the first string O and D start the 2nd half.  We can sub as indicated from there.  Malik can play the last four minutes of the game to suit me.

I won't speak as to whether or not you guys will have a big time lead at half (I think you can guess which side of the coin I'm on when it comes to that) but I will say it's a pretty big farce that people get hurt "more" when being cut blocked. I've watched a lot of triple option in my day and there isn't nearly as much cut blocking on the lines as their used to be. Most of it happens on the perimeter because of the threat of being called for a chop block if the lineman is engaged by two people (high and low). 

It is a rare circumstance that I ever see anyone getting cut down on the edge that gets hurt - well maybe their pride a little bit. 

8 hours ago, gravejd said:

Always pull starters if winning big! And i think this is especially important for the QB position. There is just no substitute for knowing how your guy reacts under pressure. We would have known a lot more about backups in previous years had we given them more opportunities. But one of my gripes about Malzahn is he doesn't seem to share the offensive wealth around very well when things are humming. 

Absolutely....JMO but there is no excuse for having to play some back-up because of an injury and then to find out he's barely been on the field.    There is always the opportunity in a low-risk situation to give younger players a little time on the field...if for no other reason than for them to experience the crowd and the adrenalin of a real game.     For JJ tg play so little as NM's back-up was a crime in my view .....1/2 of the Arky game and nothing serious after that....until the next year.

IMO, with a comfortable heading into the 4th, White plays the entire 4th. Along with the younger tailbacks. Keep the first string oline in. And call plays as if it were a tie ballgame.

14 hours ago, truebluealum said:

I won't speak as to whether or not you guys will have a big time lead at half (I think you can guess which side of the coin I'm on when it comes to that) but I will say it's a pretty big farce that people get hurt "more" when being cut blocked. I've watched a lot of triple option in my day and there isn't nearly as much cut blocking on the lines as their used to be. Most of it happens on the perimeter because of the threat of being called for a chop block if the lineman is engaged by two people (high and low). 

It is a rare circumstance that I ever see anyone getting cut down on the edge that gets hurt - well maybe their pride a little bit. 

Glad to have your perspective. Good stuff.

As for this topic, please take it for the hypothetical that it is. I don't think many AU fans are anticipating that we blow you guys out. If they do, then they clearly are mistaking you guys for just another state directional looking for a check. Most of us know better. 

It all depends how much we're beating them. If it's 30 or more, then you consider taking out some of the starters. But we're only up by say 17, then no, you keep all your starters in.

JMO, if Gus runs KP like he did the MSU game last year (39 carriers in a blow out) he should be shot. I realize KJ was hurt, but he did have other options (Kmart and Truitt).  As for the QB, I would anticipate the starter to play into the 3rd quarter and the backup into the 4th (not putting in order as it is not official) and Malik in the 4th.  Forget the red shirt, Malik needs the reps when he can get them if s any QB goes down.

Archived