2017 Fall Camp - Tues, Aug 8 (Day 6)

ValleyTiger

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

Today featured Prince Tega at LT James at RT Smith and Horton at OG amd Golson at OC. This is the lineup I think could be very special if Prince Tega comes around by comes around i mean is ready. Also you can substitute Horton for Bell vise versa.

I believe we will have multiple second string OL who would start for some other SEC schools. What a great issue to have. WDE!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ValleyTiger said:

Meh, that's like saying Braden is our best OL so he should automatically play LT. Tega is more of that prototypical LT than James. James had his struggles in pass pro last season, too. Like you said in the other thread, at some point you gotta throw these less experienced guys out there and see how they respond. 

I never thought Braden should be at T. I understand the athleticism factor with Tega but you're talking about a kid that we're basing opinions on regarding his athleticism and upside alone. I do have some concern with James at LT as stated but certainly lesser concern than I would with Tega. I do think you have to throw some guys out there but I just don't feel comfortable throwing a kid out there that 1. Wasn't even an OL to being with 2. Then sticking him at LT to protect our prized Qb blind side. Not really sure if this is the year to find out if Tega is ready for LT. I know this is just probably mixing and matching going on in practice but just my 2 cents. 

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

What does everybody think about coach Hand? 

He can cook real well. 

Seemed to do a good job last year overall.  Helped snag Calvin Ashley and Austin Troxell.  It's early, but I think he's doing alright.

13 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Care to share yours? 

I like following him on Twitter...

32 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I never thought Braden should be at T. I understand the athleticism factor with Tega but you're talking about a kid that we're basing opinions on regarding his athleticism and upside alone. I do have some concern with James at LT as stated but certainly lesser concern than I would with Tega. I do think you have to throw some guys out there but I just don't feel comfortable throwing a kid out there that 1. Wasn't even an OL to being with 2. Then sticking him at LT to protect our prized Qb blind side. Not really sure if this is the year to find out if Tega is ready for LT. I know this is just probably mixing and matching going on in practice but just my 2 cents. 

I hear ya.

Just went back and watched the Ole Miss game focusing on James at LT. Picked that one b/c he wasn't in yet against Myles Garrett nor Arden Key, but Haynes is another good pass rusher. James actually didn't draw Haynes as a match up much. He had 3 "look out" blocks one led to a sack and other 2 rushed throws. Hooked the DE on another play and should have been called. He seems to dip his outside shoulder too much and get hurt in pass pro too much. Really don't care to re-watch the uga or bama games. :puke:

Nothing against James of course and he still may be our best option, but I'm rooting for Tega to win the LT spot.

2 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I hear ya.

Just went back and watched the Ole Miss game focusing on James at LT. Picked that one b/c he wasn't in yet against Myles Garrett nor Arden Key, but Haynes is another good pass rusher. James actually didn't draw Haynes as a match up much. He had 3 "look out" blocks one led to a sack and other 2 rushed throws. Hooked the DE on another play and should have been called. He seems to dip his outside shoulder too much and get hurt in pass pro too much. Really don't care to re-watch the uga or bama games. :puke:

Nothing against James of course and he still may be our best option, but I'm rooting for Tega to win the LT spot.

I'd certainly be more than happy if Tega is ready b/c i certainly agree James at LT isn't ideal. At the moment I think it'll probably be likely that's the way it goes. But we shall see. 

18 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Jury's still out I'd say. Run blocking, run game scheming, and recruiting seem to be his strong suits. We'll see if he can adequately teach our guys to be legit at pass pro AND run blocking. 

54 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Like others, I'm a fan, but I'm hoping to see more progression of the OL this year. Our pass pro against even good pass rush wasn't very good last year. He's had decent talent to work with and seems to have added some really good prospects. But we need another really good recruiting class, and we need some players at OT to take a step or two forward to sure up our pass pro. 

Since we should be asking our OL to pass protect a lot more this year, I really like Tega's length. Those long arms will help make up for some inexperience against a good speed rusher. Clemson's DL is stacked, so we should get a good read on this year's OL pretty quick.

I can not expect our OL to have solid pass pro, improvement this year should be likely.   For the same reason our receivers lacked route running and receiver skills, the Gus and Rhett show spent next to no time working on that aspect of the offense.  Gus and Rhett controlled practice and drills.  They spent all time perfecting an offense that can get an average running back 1200 yards(see what I did there, lol).  

9 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

He seems good. I was worried about him after the way Penn State's O-line had performed but I think he was a smart choice. I really wish he'd stop doing OL shuffling--I firmly believe it cost us a game early on last year.

Can you please give us an update about Marlon?

10 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Still has a lot to prove IMHO. Hope he starts proving it this year, everyone knows the O-line is the key to this season. I like the move of Braden back to guard and I'm ok with Tega to LT if he is ready, maybe he is killing it in practice.

I'm not sure the blocking schemes of the OL will be much different. If we are incorporating RPOs into our O as a mainstay, then that is still just run blocking schemes, no?

14 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

I'm not sure the blocking schemes of the OL will be much different. If we are incorporating RPOs into our O as a mainstay, then that is still just run blocking schemes, no?

That's the question IMO.....seems that team tend to either pass block well or run-block well...but rarely do both well.   

My view....which could be wrong of course....is that pass blocking is more of a defensive effort...block and slowly retreat to create the pocket....whereas run blocking is an offensive effort to go forward and put the other guy on the ground.      If true, then among other things it is the state of mind of the blocker that matters...

AU is geared toward a running offense and guess I'm not surprised that pass blocking would be spotty.  JMO

Just a FYI, blocking schemes are not usually determined by the OL coach. The HC or OC dictate what they want and how the want it. The OL coach implements it.

I, like others, believe Coach Hand is still proving himself as a coach for Auburn.  What he needs to go to the next level is to hire an ex-Bama OL GA to teach our OL to hold on every play without getting caught. JMO.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Just a FYI, blocking schemes are not usually determined by the OL coach. The HC or OC dictate what they want and how the want it. The OL coach implements it.

I guess that was my point. We are a run based RPO offense and RPOs by nature have run block schemes. I don't imagine much variation in blocking scheme from the OL.

Regarding the pass blocking, from a skills/implementation standpoint... is that something Borges might be able to help with? I know he's not an on-field coach per se, but he will be studying a lot of film I assume and the guy did have some pretty good OLs play in his offense when he was here before. 

They all just need reps, the fact is that we did not give them many passing reps the last couple of seasons or ever.  The more reps they get at pass blocking the better they will be.  IF you are gonna work on whirly bird and stuff like that instead of basic passing reps, you get what we saw

Archived