Thin on the Defensive Line

Eisenhower_1952

I knew we would be thin on the defensive line, but we are danger thin from looking at the rotation from the practice report. That Ga Southern triple option attack could be a problem if our offense sputters.

Not sure what rotation your looking at, but what I've read is we are 3 deep and our third level current includes a #1 recruit and one of last year's star recruits that everyone expects big things from.  Sounds like we're doing just fine to me.

GA Southern is breaking in a new OC, a new offensive scheme, a new starting tailback, and a new QB... they shouldn't be an issue for our talented and experienced D.

2 hours ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

I knew we would be thin on the defensive line, but we are danger thin from looking at the rotation from the practice report. That Ga Southern triple option attack could be a problem if our offense sputters.

Offense sputters? ... Against GA Southern?

If we struggle against GS in the first game on offense or defense, then we better all get a bunch of pepto and tums cause we will need it the rest of the year.

We could be a little thin at DE should Marlon not be able to get back in action quickly but overall i would say no we are not thin on the DL

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

We could be a little thin at DE should Marlon not be able to get back in action quickly but overall i would say no we are not thin on the DL

MD is fine. Will be back soon. And we aren't thin on the DL. Not yet anyways. We good for 2017. 

11 hours ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

I knew we would be thin on the defensive line, but we are danger thin from looking at the rotation from the practice report. 

200w.gif

What is your definition of thin? 2 possible starters not practicing due to precaution and we still have a pretty solid 2 deep rotation. With everyone healthy we have one of the best 3 deeps in the country.

This is one of the strangest threads I can remember. 

DL is deep!  Outside of a significant rash of injuries, we're good there. DL is one of the deepest units on a deep team  

Offense "sputtering" against GA So.?  It's game 1, so the typical first game issues will be there. But our athletes are on a completely different level than GA So. We should be able to beat them by 3 TDs just because of our athletes.  

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

This is one of the strangest threads I can remember. 

DL is deep!  Outside of a significant rash of injuries, we're good there. DL is one of the deepest units on a deep team  

Offense "sputtering" against GA So.?  It's game 1, so the typical first game issues will be there. But our athletes are on a completely different level than GA So. We should be able to beat them by 3 TDs just because of our athletes.  

1) yep

2) yep

3) yep

Basically I agree with everything you said. 

13 hours ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

Defensive line is one of the deepest position groups on the team.

Not sure I would post if I were you. ?

Sorry, had to bust your balls a lil.

To redirect the thread a bit, have we gotten a better feel for where guys slot in the rotation based on fall camp so far? From what I've read, it would look something like this:

DE - Davidson/Coe

DT - Brown/Williams

DT - Russell/Cowart

Buck - Holland/James

After that, you have Johnson (if he's healthy?), Manning, and Truesdell at DT; Jackson as a swing DT/DE; Threat and Bryant (and possibly Moultry) at the Buck. Plus, a lot of these guys have some positional flexibility (Davidson and Coe can work inside at times, James can play the standard DE, etc.). I feel exceedingly comfortable with our two-deep at each spot. Any feel for who is stepping up behind them? Garner usually likes 5-6 guys inside, in particular.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

To redirect the thread a bit, have we gotten a better feel for where guys slot in the rotation based on fall camp so far? From what I've read, it would look something like this:

DE - Davidson/Coe

DT - Brown/Williams

DT - Russell/Cowart

Buck - Holland/James

After that, you have Johnson (if he's healthy?), Manning, and Truesdell at DT; Jackson as a swing DT/DE; Threat and Bryant (and possibly Moultry) at the Buck. Plus, a lot of these guys have some positional flexibility (Davidson and Coe can work inside at times, James can play the standard DE, etc.). I feel exceedingly comfortable with our two-deep at each spot. Any feel for who is stepping up behind them? Garner usually likes 5-6 guys inside, in particular.

Looks pretty solid to me!!

11 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

MD is fine. Will be back soon. And we aren't thin on the DL. Not yet anyways. We good for 2017. 

This. Also we are far from thin on DL. We arguably have the most talented DL overall in the SEC.

23 hours ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

Auburn4ever.....is that you?

On 8/8/2017 at 9:19 PM, Eisenhower_1952 said:

I think a couple guys lost a few lbs,, others gained some, but I wouldn't say they were thin! You might even say some of those d linemen were a little pudgy!

Thin on the defensive line? REALLY!? D-line is probably the deepest position on a team that is deep everywhere except the defensive backfield. Your concern is completely unfounded.

Archived