National top 50 RB units per Athlon

GoAU

4 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Yeah, putting fsu at #4 because of an incoming TF makes no sense at all. They shouldn't be in the top 10. 

I might even put us at #3 because of depth. After Barkley PSU has no one proven. 

I don't know. I think Akers is that good...

I agree that Cam is as good of an RB prospect as they come, but a still unproven TF starter and a couple of backups that have never done anything but watch DCook run ranked higher than KP, KJ, KMart, Malik Miller, and DBarrett (who was a pretty highly sought after recruit himself, not Cam Akers, but a very solid incoming TF)?  Then take into consideration how well these guys compliment each other with various skill sets and it shouldn't even be close.   I know I'm a homer, but I think that's a pretty strong case. 

bama and uga. Yeah they are deep and proven. They should be ranked higher than AU. But fsu, I think not. 

Alabama dial it back a notch.with their overrated running backs. 1,037 yards behind that O-line is pathetic. There have been very few Alabama backfields that I would take over Auburn backfields of the same year.

Penn State justification seems shakey at best

FSU having a bunch of players who haven't done anything yet doesn't add up to much for me.

LSU is even more underrated running back wise than us. Guise is a monster.

9 hours ago, fredst said:

I don't know. I think Akers is that good...

I see your point, but there have been more than a few highly touted TF RBS that had very high expectations who never quite panned out as well.  But at this point, everything is conjecture anyway, right? 

Just now, GoAU said:

I see your point, but there have been more than a few highly touted TF RBS that had very high expectations who never quite panned out as well.  But at this point, everything is conjecture anyway, right? 

Agreed. If there's one position where true freshmen consistently make an impact it's at RB though. Akers looked on film to me to be about as good as anybody that had come out in 10+ years. You're right, we'll find out soon enough.

13 hours ago, War Knight said:

Alabama *************** with their overrated running backs. 1,037 yards behind that O-line is pathetic. There have been very few Alabama backfields that I would take over Auburn backfields of the same year.

Penn State justification seems shakey at best

FSU having a bunch of players who haven't done anything yet doesn't add up to much for me.

LSU is even more underrated running back wise than us. Guise is a monster.

Not to be argumentative, but Alabama's RB talent is legit. Like most of their roster, their backfield is littered with 4, and 5 star talent. They have kicked our butt on the recruiting trail for elite RB talent for several years now. Bo Scarborough could have probably run for 3000 yards for Gus Malzahn last year. Alabama did not run the ball 90% of the time under Kiffin the way we have under Gus, and Lashlee. Not to diminish the guys we have, but none of them are close to Scarborough in talent. I won't even mention Derrick Henry from 2 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Not to be argumentative, but Alabama's RB talent is legit. Like most of their roster, their backfield is littered with 4, and 5 star talent. They have kicked our butt on the recruiting trail for elite RB talent for several years now. Bo Scarborough could have probably run for 3000 yards for Gus Malzahn last year. Alabama did not run the ball 90% of the time under Kiffin the way we have under Gus, and Lashlee. Not to diminish the guys we have, but none of them are close to Scarborough in talent. I won't even mention Derrick Henry from 2 years ago. 

One more point on the subject. We lost our best RB to injury last year, and could not make a first down against GA for an entire half. Alabama loses their best RB, and just plugs in another 5 star. I ain't happy about it, but those are the facts.

"One more point on the subject. We lost our best RB to injury last year, and could not make a first down against GA for an entire half. Alabama loses their best RB, and just plugs in another 5 star. I ain't happy about it, but those are the facts."

We haven't been able to land that game changer at RB out of HS in years.  Who knows what Robinson might have been?  As much as I like the guys we have at the position and look forward to seeing them in action, it would be nice every once in a while to land one of the top guys nationally.  No, with the right balance and play calling it isn't necessary, but I miss those days of having multiple big time backs. 

Having said that, my guy Malik "the Masher" Miller is going to have an impact this season.  

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

"One more point on the subject. We lost our best RB to injury last year, and could not make a first down against GA for an entire half. Alabama loses their best RB, and just plugs in another 5 star. I ain't happy about it, but those are the facts."

We haven't been able to land that game changer at RB out of HS in years.  Who knows what Robinson might have been?  As much as I like the guys we have at the position and look forward to seeing them in action, it would be nice every once in a while to land one of the top guys nationally.  No, with the right balance and play calling it isn't necessary, but I miss those days of having multiple big time backs. 

Having said that, my guy Malik "the Masher" Miller is going to have an impact this season.  

I think we all know and it suuuuuuuucks to think about.

Last year was weird. And- hey @lionheartkc, this one's for you- we were actually missing 3 of our top 4 backs for most of the Georgia game and the 4th one wasn't 100%. That said, it's true that we haven't recruited the position at an appropriate level. Not compared to the production we offer, not compared to how we've recruited other positions, and not compared to how our biggest rivals have recruited the position.

Agreed that having a healthy Miller will be huge this season. Would've won us the UGA game last season IMO. Having a healthy KJ will be crucial, too. Martin, Barrett... we're in better shape this year. Really have to hope that Cox stays healthy, though. 

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think we all know and it suuuuuuuucks to think about.

Last year was weird. And- hey @lionheartkc, this one's for you- we were actually missing 3 of our top 4 backs for most of the Georgia game and the 4th one wasn't 100%. That said, it's true that we haven't recruited the position at an appropriate level. Not compared to the production we offer, not compared to how we've recruited other positions, and not compared to how our biggest rivals have recruited the position.

Agreed that having a healthy Miller will be huge this season. Would've won us the UGA game last season IMO. Having a healthy KJ will be crucial, too. Martin, Barrett... we're in better shape this year. Really have to hope that Cox stays healthy, though. 

Thanks for the nod.  I was expecting you to mention my relentless calls for recruiting Akers even after it was beyond obvious that we had no shot when I saw I was mentioned in this thread, but I'll take the "who exactly were we going to generate offense with in the Georgia game?" call out. I do know how to beat a drum, don't I?

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Thanks for the nod.  I was expecting you to mention my relentless calls for recruiting Akers even after it was beyond obvious that we had no shot when I saw I was mentioned in this thread, but I'll take the "who exactly were we going to generate offense with in the Georgia game?" call out. I do know how to beat a drum, don't I?

While we disagree on certain aspects of that game, we absolutely agree that the RB injuries had gone from Light to Ludicrous to Plaid by mid November. 

9 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I also agree wholeheartedly ... They keep a stable of backs at all times.

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

To me, feels like this is about the 12th season Nick Chubb has been at uga.

So true.  He's beyond his Master's degree and well on his way to a PhD

I'd  take a healthy Bubba Pettway and KJ over any duo in college football. Those guys did the damage they did last year with defenses knowing we had no true passing threat. You put them in a balanced offense and they are as good as anyone in the country. I don't care what they're ranked. And Bo Scarborough has done nothing to make me think he's elite. 

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I'd  take a healthy Bubba Pettway and KJ over any duo in college football. Those guys did the damage they did last year with defenses knowing we had no true passing threat. You put them in a balanced offense and they are as good as anyone in the country. I don't care what they're ranked. And Bo Scarborough has done nothing to make me think he's elite. 

Love him to death but KJ is no Bo S, but i would take Bubba over any in thier backfield.

Archived