Early MVP's of Fall Camp

WFE12

SEC Country’s Auburn football coverage team weighs in with the Tigers’ MVP after two weeks of fall camp.

Lauren Shute: Sal Canella

My MVP of fall camp so far is Sal Cannella. Auburn knew he had the potential to be a serious offensive threat when they snagged the No. 1 JUCO tight end, but I’m not sure the Tigers anticipated his quick rise. The fact the 6-foot-5, 228-pound TE was working with the first-team offense early in camp is telling. Still, I think the most interesting thing that’s come from the reports about the newcomer, however, is the edge and attitude he’s bringing. Auburn’s receivers remain a big question mark heading into 2017, but Cannella seems to be offering a demeanor that could help that unit’s confidence heading into a very critical year for Auburn offensively.

Justin Ferguson: Jamel Dean

My MVP of fall camp so far is Jamel Dean. He was in this same spot last year before a knee injury robbed him of the 2016 season. Although Auburn fans haven’t seen him play yet, he is one of the most talented defensive backs on the roster. His 6-foot-2 frame and long arms make him the ideal player opposite Carlton Davis, and he’s had a great camp so far, which included a pick-six. But Dean’s value goes beyond his impact at cornerback. His move to the front of Josh Holsey’s old cornerback job has freed up Javaris Davis to work at nickel in place of Rudy Ford. That move has given Daniel Thomas more reason to work at safety, which added depth to Auburn’s thinnest position. Dean is the driving force behind an ideal domino effect for this secondary.

Auburn football-Auburn-Auburn Tigers-Jamel Dean
Auburn cornerback Jamel Dean was on track to start in 2016, but a knee injury kept him out all year. (Kenny Moss/Special to SEC Country)

Benjamin Wolk: Sal Cannella

My answer: Sal Cannella. He might not be the traditional tight end Auburn fans felt like they needed last recruiting cycle, but he’ll bring a unique and welcome skill set to this football team. The long-haired, inked-up playmaker with fashion-design aspirations has a flair for big plays. At 6-foot-5 and 228 pounds, Cannella is going to be a matchup nightmare for Auburn foes this season. He’s already proven that in practices and scrimmages, which is why — as a much-needed offensive spark plug — he’s the early camp MVP.

Really looking forward to seeing both of these guys on the field this year, especially Jamel Dean.  Think he and Carlton could be quite the CB tandem in the SEC.

Between those two guys and Nick Coe, I can't wait for Georgia Southern to get here. Ready to see all of them play. Also interested to see Byron Cowart's play at his new position.

1 hour ago, Coastal Tiger said:

Really looking forward to seeing both of these guys on the field this year, especially Jamel Dean.  Think he and Carlton could be quite the CB tandem in the SEC.

Yeah this is what I love. When was the last time we had a CB tandem that we could count on consistently?

8 minutes ago, War Knight said:

How is Cannella phonetically spelled?

I'm excited to hear that we might finally use a tight end correctly!

I don't know that we're going to use him in the traditional TE sense. I think he's going to be more of a slot hybrid, similar to Evan Engram from Ole Miss the last few years. I think he might play some attached, hand-in-the-dirt TE, but I think we will see him mostly in the slot. 

How now big Sal....your a defensive nightmare on the prowl.....Your catches over the middle will make defenders look small and little...How now big Sal...those big catches will make us smile!....When we travel to Clemson to take on Dabo's team....Your winning catch will make the coach squall and scream......

I will let the rest of you guys finish this masterpiece in that I need to go to bed.

Yeah, I think they'll need to use SC in a different way. When you consider he's only 225 lbs at that height, at a traditional TE position he'd be facing off against some *very* talented, SEC DEs and LBs that are fast, slippery and heavier. So, I could be wrong, but I don't envision him as the main guy for blocking on the edge. And if all he does is come in to run routes from the TE spot, that basically tells the defense what to expect. So I think he could be in the H or slot some/most of the time. That would put a lot of stress on a defense. They'd have to account for him, which would be a big advantage for both the running game and the passing attack. Actually, the way he fights for balls, I'd be interested to see him out wide, squashing little CB bugs. Anyway, I'm eager to see how CCL and CLP use him -- hoping they are going to be creative with this talented guy.

On 8/10/2017 at 5:31 PM, WFE12 said:

Yeah this is what I love. When was the last time we had a CB tandem that we could count on consistently?

Rodney Crayton and Larry Casher 1996-2000 perhaps?

Archived