SI CFB Preview - Auburn

RunInRed

This article mentions something I've wondered about. They list Marlon Davidson at 282 lbs and Cowart at 283. Also, I think Coe is in that same range now. I wonder if having players this size is detrimental to getting to the QB. I typically think of the best ends as anywhere from 240-270 and tackles from maybe 295-310. Now I know there are examples of great players at any size, but do you think we would have more success rushing the passer with more prototypical-sized d-linemen? Lawson and Adams were more traditional sizes.

Obviously I'm basing production off of last year and I hope they get tons of sacks and hurries this year.

5 minutes ago, AUtigers2324 said:

This article mentions something I've wondered about. They list Marlon Davidson at 282 lbs and Cowart at 283. Also, I think Coe is in that same range now. I wonder if having players this size is detrimental to getting to the QB. I typically think of the best ends as anywhere from 240-270 and tackles from maybe 295-310. Now I know there are examples of great players at any size, but do you think we would have more success rushing the passer with more prototypical-sized d-linemen? Lawson and Adams were more traditional sizes.

Obviously I'm basing production off of last year and I hope they get tons of sacks and hurries this year.

Well, the defensive end has to also stop the run. They are going against offensive tackles that are 300+.  Guys are getting bigger and keeping their quickness. To me, the most successful defensive teams are big across the front line.

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Well, the defensive end has to also stop the run. They are going against offensive tackles that are 300+.  Guys are getting bigger and keeping their quickness. To me, the most successful defensive teams are big across the front line.

That and the guys that are considered our more "pure pass rushers" are playing Buck. Average size there in the current 2 deep  is 255 lbs which fits into his 240-270 range. James III is listed at 260 and Holland at 249.

5 hours ago, AUtigers2324 said:

Cowart has been moved to defensive tackle, where I hope he'll blossom. His experience as a DE could well mean that he's quicker than your average DT, thus giving us a solid pass rush from the inside as well as the outside.

11 hours ago, AUtigers2324 said:

I'm fairly certain that our lighter DE's gave us some problems against running teams in years past.  I'm fairly certain that's a major reason why Arky and seemed to have our number when Tuberville was the coach.  

I'm sure the lighter DE's had something to do with our lack of getting the rusher down and stopping the rusher. The size of these guys should be a bonus as long as they really did keep their quickness, or become even quicker through their workouts when adding weight. we will see very soon, I[m optimistic that we will be better both up the middle and on the edge this year with a another year under their belts and a little extra muscle.

Interesting article though. thanks for posting.

Archived