Back to the Future: Borges & Lindsey

aubiefifty

Back to the Future: Al Borges & Chip Lindsey merging Auburn’s past with its future

Matthew Stevens, Montgomery Advertiser

AUBURN — In terms of football, Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn is trying to merge the languages of two offensive assistant coaches into one form of communication.

When it comes to style, formations, schemes and overall philosophy, offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and analyst Al Borges most likely couldn’t be further apart.

Lindsey is hoping to inject Auburn’s hurry-up, no-huddle philosophy with a downfield passing game that has been substantially missing from Malzahn’s offense in the past few years. Malzahn made a point to hand over the play-calling and overall daily responsibility of his offense, the thing he arguably has valued the most in his coaching career dating to Arkansas high school football in the 1990s, because of how Lindsey’s offensive traits constantly incorporate where the game is headed in the modern era.

Borges’ coaching career, which started in California around the year Lindsey was born, included a four-year stint as offensive coordinator at Auburn (2004-07) under Tommy Tuberville. The I-formation and power set with two tight ends was a constant staple of the 61-year-old’s “Gulf Coast Offense” playbook.

With Borges and Lindsey working the offense, it should more fun to this year. However, it all depends on if Malzahn can and will keep his hands off the offense through out the season.

13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

With Borges and Lindsey working the offense, it should more fun to this year. However, it all depends on if Malzahn can and will keep his hands off the offense through out the season.

I think that is the big X factor in the  coming season.

I've believed in the hype the last two years only to see a no imagination, highly predictable offense betray its players.

Struggling hard to not buy into the hype this year.  Not confident Gus can let it go.

13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

The most successful offenses in Auburn history have happened with Malzahn's "hands on". He'll certainly keep his hands in the mix at offense, that's what he's being paid to do. Any head coach that isn't following and adjusting every detail of what assistants are doing in every phase of the game is not doing his job.

The thing with Malzahn's offenses, is that they rely on a talented front five.  I think the O-line was young and dinged up the last two years.  Last year,  we could have run the same package as 2013 with JFIII and the backfield we had , with the right front 5, and probably made the 2013 squad look slow.  I like the focus on having a better passing game. If you look at M's HS and early college offenses,  he ran a lot,  but behind a string downfield passing game, stretching the defense out. If Stidham can connect downfield,  Pettway and Kerryon are going to put up some big numbers this year.  And watch JFIII,  he is versatile and fast: end arounds,  reverses,  he can still pass the ball.  In the Clemson game, if he can have some early success with reverse or end arounds,  watch for a third quarter reverse with him throwing the ball deep . 

i think they drew gus a pic and he knows things need to improve. that is why i hope he has not hired "yes men".i want people on the staff to not be afraid to tell him he is wrong when he is wrong.

Archived