2017 Auburn Soccer

aucanucktiger

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Pre-season type game I expect....been subbing quite a bit.....not sure it means too much...JMO....not worried about it.

Not really. Dodson played the whole game as did Folds. I didn't think coach subbed much more than usual. Lipscomb had a plan to crash on Dodson when she got the ball and it worked for 70 minutes. AU couldn't muster anything on attack. Lipscomb parked the bus with 25 to go and AU started finding some space. When it was 2-1, Lipscomb tried to press the ball more and that cost them as well. They were also very tired by the end and it was really surprising AU didn't break through in the 2 OT periods.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Girls soccer is getting so much better.  With the whole partial scholarship thing, there will be an increasing amount of mid-majors beating bigger schools.

very similar to college baseball.  But also the same ... I would expect the bigger schools to generally win a series if they played them.

I think the way we beat USA spoiled us a bit for the Lipscomb game in that we were getting long range goals.  I felt we were impatient in the attacking third for the most part.  Passing was terrible early as well which opened the door to get behind.  We started being patient and played good soccer the final 20 mins.

That being said, the two goals by us to equalize were just gorgeous.  The first with a laser strike from long range followed by a perfect pass and touch for the clutch goal that tied it.  More impressed on the patience of the freshman on the touch, but great poise by Dodson on the pass.  2-2 draw sure beats a 2-0 defeat at home,  especially with the brutal run through the ACC coming up in Clemson, UNC, and Duke away from home. 

Auburn and Clemson playing tonight.  Clemson is leading 1-0 at half time.  We dropped 10 spots to #20 after the Lipscomb game.  Kinda surprised to drop that far by getting a result but hoping we can find some magic in 2nd half of this one. 

AU should have had a goal in the first half on a nice run that was centered but Clemson blocked 2 close range shots. But they tie it up just now on an interception and chip over the keeper.

1-1 38’ to go

It appears Auburn should have gotten a game winning goal in the final minute.  Ref waited until the ball went in to call a corner kick for Au, saying moments earlier the ball went past the end line before the shot on goal.  Replay appears to show otherwise.  Auburn got hosed there.  Heading to OT 1-1

Another loss to Clemson. When is the last time AU beat Clemson any sport. Seems like it has been 10 years but I know it has not. This team has had a lot of chances to score the last two games but unfortunately could not execute. That is the way it goe sometimes and those goals will start to come. 

They need help for Dodson.  We could use a 2 striker set in my opinion

Not a good trip to Durham. Blasted by UNC 5-0last night. Didn’t get to watch so can’t  really say why, but right now, we are seeing just how much the Ramsier sister and Kiana Clark meant last year.

I think you are spot on with the players you mentioned.  We just need more established attacks.  We are either passing over the top for Dodson or shooting from outside the box.  We have one more top 15 game next, then maybe we can regroup before SEC play.  We could use a result, especially a win, but will not come easy against Duke. 

Didn't watch the UNC game FTR. I am basing my comments from previous games. 

22 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I think you are spot on with the players you mentioned.  We just need more established attacks.  We are either passing over the top for Dodson or shooting from outside the box.  We have one more top 15 game next, then maybe we can regroup before SEC play.  We could use a result, especially a win, but will not come easy against Duke. 

Didn't watch the UNC game FTR. I am basing my comments from previous games. 

Soccer is like football...a few outstanding players make the coach look good....often better than he or she actually is...JMO.   I don't know much about soccer but have heard some things from someone who does.  

Down 1-0 at the break to Duke. AU doesn’t have any teeth in their attack. The Duke goal was a free kick from just outside the top right of the box.

Inevitable. Constant pressure results in another Duke goal. Possession has to be 80/20 right now. Rough trip to N.C. for these ladies.

2-0 Duke, 34’ to go

AU facing High Point tonight. AU has enjoyed a good deal of possession, but HP enjoys a 1-0 lead 20 min into the first half. AU defense continues to struggle while AU’s offense continues to have no teeth in the final 3rd. Plenty of time to go.

GOAL! Bre Folds drives a shot from 35 yards out as Dodson cuts in front of the keeper. She doesn’t touch it, but it distracts the keeper and the shot finds the back of the net. 1-1. I think about 5’ to go in the half. No clock on the screen.

EDIT: I see the scoreboard just showed 11:00 to go so the goal must have been about 16’ to go.

Got caught up in the OSU vs USA game and just flipped it back to the game. They were setting up the kickoff after an AU goal.  2-1. No idea the time remaining. 

FYI for those of you in town for homecoming and looking to get into the spirit of things after the homecoming parade at 6pm (downtown) and pep rally afterwards on the lawn in front of Samford Hall, there is a girls soccer game against aTm at 6:30pm!!! Come watch the girls kick some grass in SEC conference play and get this weekend off on a good note! War Eagle!

Well it's half time. Still 1 - 0 Tigers.

Should be 2 -0 but the aTm keeper was able to get a glove on one and tip it up to the cross bar, it bounced back in to play and was then headed back straight to her. It was a good play. 

This has been a high, high energy second half. LeBeau has been unreal in goal. Still 1-0 with 7:30 to go. aTm is throwing a lot of people forward. If AU can get a counter, it might put this away. On the other hand aTm is getting some good chances.

Archived