Pat Dye - More time is needed to evaluate players

WFE12

Pat Dye thinks Auburn needs more time before season to evaluate some players

Former Auburn coach Pat Dye does not believe there will be enough time in fall camp for the coaching staff to fully evaluate some of its players.

Dye said this week on “The Coach Pat Dye Show” that he thinks Auburn is going into the season with “some question marks as far as personnel is concerned” after watching the Tigers in their first fall scrimmage Monday.

“I don’t know if they got enough time for a guy to really just establish himself and say, ‘I’m going to be the starter,’” Dye said. “I don’t study the film and look at it like the coaches do and evaluate them every day, but I see a lot of talent and I don’t see a lot of separation, so I’m not so sure that the Georgia Southern game (Auburn’s season opener on Sept. 2) is one where we can’t get another evaluation of what they’re going to be like on game day.”

Dye, though, believes Auburn has a lot of positives as well as the season approaches. In particular, he felt that the defense stood out.

Read More: http://gridironnow.com/pat-dye-thinks-auburn-needs-time-season-evaluate-players/

I like CPD but if he's speaking the truth, then it doesn't sound like the offense will be ready on time and could likely impact the W-L record, potentially costing Gus his job.  I wish CPD could learn to temper his comments or at least the timing of them because I don't think he's doing the team any favors. 

FWIW WNSP Sports Radio in Mobile reported that the odds of Malzahn being fired this season are 17-1.  

14 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I like CPD but if he's speaking the truth, then it doesn't sound like the offense will be ready on time and could likely impact the W-L record, potentially costing Gus his job.  I wish CPD could learn to temper his comments or at least the timing of them because I don't think he's doing the team any favors. 

FWIW WNSP Sports Radio in Mobile reported that the odds of Malzahn being fired this season are 17-1.  

Well that was special of them to do that....bless their hearts

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Well that was special of them to do that....bless their hearts

Yeah, I refer to them as Saban's mouth piece, although in this case I don't think they are the actual source.  I debated whether to even post it, but finally decided to pass it on.  

36 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I'm not too worried about the offense right now. I think we will probably have two more scrimmages before we start preparing for the season opener. If after those scrimmages were still not clicking on offense, I'll be a little concerned. And I'd rather CPD being saying this type of thing than singing this teams' praises. 

We will find out a lot about what we need to know about the the team after we play Clemson.

wde

Loved Coach Dye and will always be grateful for the way he rebuilt AU football. That said, I don't pay any attention to his thoughts on the current AU roster. I sometimes cringe when I hear him on the radio to be honest. Hate to say it.

31 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

We will find out a lot about what we need to know about the the team after we play Clemson.

wde

Well hot damn I had no idea................................j/k AUIH1 j/k :poke:

Media guys aren't privy to this much classified info- and coaches would never divulge this info. That leaves CPD, access to all the inside info, heads strait to a microphone with it. He's a double agent. 

CPD isn't the delusional old man a lot of people think he is. He uses these press opportunities to communicate and/or motivate coaches or players. He knows what he's doing.  I don't like it very much, but like it or not, that's what he's doing.  He wouldn't reveal anything that the staff doesn't want (well, not much anyway). ?

This statement from CPD should not surprise anyone.  Ever since Gus has been here (save 2014) he has not been able to evaluate his starters during fall and we have had "tryouts" during the first few games of each season.  Think back to 2013 when Tre Mason wasn't the starting RB until after the first half of the LSU game.  Or not knowing the talent KP was from the beginning of the 2016 campaign.

I don't think it is unusual to go into a season with every skill position locked down by one person if the talent level is this high.  As preacherman22 states, it's time get some separation in certain positions.  I'm looking forward to this season.

14 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

I think we're really going to find out alot about this team after today's scrimmage.

17 hours ago, gctiger said:

if he's speaking the truth, then it doesn't sound like the offense will be ready on time and could likely impact the W-L record, potentially costing Gus his job.

Part of being head coach is getting the correct players in the correct spots and on the field producing.  GM will either get it right or continue learning somewhere else.

15 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Unfortunately Gus has seen it that way as well every year. 

30 minutes ago, TigerWar said:

We have three more freaking weeks of fall camp, plenty of time to sort it out.

^^^This^^^

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Part of being head coach is getting the correct players in the correct spots and on the field producing.  GM will either get it right or continue learning somewhere else.

My hope is Chip will remedy this and get the players in the right position early.

15 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

CPD isn't the delusional old man a lot of people think he is. He uses these press opportunities to communicate and/or motivate coaches or players. He knows what he's doing.  I don't like it very much, but like it or not, that's what he's doing.  He wouldn't reveal anything that the staff doesn't want (well, not much anyway). ?

He is not delusional....Lucidity and coherency, well that depends on the time of day which is a direct correlation on how much he has had to drink.

wde

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

He is not delusional....Lucidity and coherency, well that depends on the time of day which is a direct correlation on how much he has had to drink.

wde

Momma always said if you can't say something good about someone then don't say nothing at all. It might be good advice for some that are supposed to be what we call a family.

26 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Momma always said if you can't say something good about someone then don't say nothing at all. It might be good advice for some that are supposed to be what we call a family.

Well, sometimes, reality needs  to be posted. And sometimes "family" should stay  the hell out of the way.

wde

Coach Dye knows football fundamentals and toughness.  X's and O's in today's game have passed him by but if he calls out a team for size or not being physical I would listen.  If he's trying to break down fundamentals I'll listen but if he's looking at scheme on offense or defense I think I'd turn a deaf ear.  

I love Coach Dye and hope he's around for 80 more years but maybe those are silent years and enjoys the benefits of his labors previously.  We are forever indebted to what he has done for our football program.  The good and the bad.

Archived