Pat Dye - More time is needed to evaluate players

WFE12

I respect old man Pat Dye. Really, I do. But his opinion on our teams these past few years are about as valuable as my janitor Greg's. Good discussion material but nothing to throw money at.

Now, if he wants to be "unattached" and bring back some $5 handshakes our recruiting class could really use it this year...? I kid I kid

Pat Dye: 2017 Auburn is 'most talented' team ever at Auburn

• by Brandon Marcello

AUBURN, Ala. — Pat Dye's expectations are extremely high for Auburn this upcoming season.

The legendary Auburn coach appeared on the Paul Finebaum Show Monday and heaped praise on the Tigers, calling it the most talented football team to ever grace the Plains.

That's quite the statement from Dye, who coached four SEC championship teams at Auburn, and watched the undefeated teams of 2004 and 2010 up close.

“I think this is probably the most talented football team that I’ve seen at Auburn, top to bottom,” Dye said. “They’re a little thin in the secondary, like I mentioned. And they’re a little inexperienced at the wide receivers. … I think defensively, we’ve got a chance to be better.”

Interesting commentary but as someone noted earlier...."Gus take his hands off the offense" ?   yet this is the guy who OC'd a team to the BCS championship, got to another BCS championship game aa the HC and has had some of the best offensive stats in the nation and SEC as he came along.   I keep wondering when he forgot how to coach an offense...maybe when he signed the $4 million + contract as HC and became totally responsible for the team results and not just yards and points....:dunno:

Whenever it happened.....sure sounds funny to hear folks telling Gus to stay away from the offense.

I agree with Coach Dye that this might be the most talented in a while.  The 2004 team was very talented the 1988 team might have been the most talented in my life time.  My complaint is why is it needed to be said. Sure for entertainment on F'baum but how do you think Saban would feel if every year coach stallings set it up that he shouldn't lose a game.  Coach Dye himself should know how difficult that is.  

I don't question Coach Dye's evaluation of our talent, but are we man enough to beat Georgia? :wareagle::homer:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Interesting commentary but as someone noted earlier...."Gus take his hands off the offense" ?   yet this is the guy who OC'd a team to the BCS championship, got to another BCS championship game aa the HC and has had some of the best offensive stats in the nation and SEC as he came along.   I keep wondering when he forgot how to coach an offense...maybe when he signed the $4 million + contract as HC and became totally responsible for the team results and not just yards and points....:dunno:

Whenever it happened.....sure sounds funny to hear folks telling Gus to stay away from the offense.

It would be hard to argue that Gus is not a very good OC, but as head coach I don't think he could put in the time it takes to do both jobs at this level.JMO

4 minutes ago, kd4au said:

It would be hard to argue that Gus is not a very good OC, but as head coach I don't think he could put in the time it takes to do both jobs at this level.JMO

Maybe but a number of coaches run their own offenses and use younger OCs to do the grunt work.   But I agree, not much from Gus, as a HC , to justify him trying to do both jobs....but I sometimes wonder if  we have lost something in our offense by removing him from it full time.  

If he is out of the business of coaching the offense, I'm not sure what he brings to the table that makes him a suitable HC.....:dunno:   Sometimes he strikes me as the CEO who does not know how to do anything....except hope to hire good subordinates.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe but a number of coaches run their own offenses and use younger OCs to do the grunt work.   But I agree, not much from Gus, as a HC , to justify him trying to do both jobs....but I sometimes wonder if  we have lost something in our offense by removing him from it full time.  

If he is out of the business of coaching the offense, I'm not sure what he brings to the table that makes him a suitable HC.....:dunno:   Sometimes he strikes me as the CEO who does not know how to do anything....except hope to hire good subordinates.

I'm not sure he will be completely removed, he will still have input don't you think?

Just now, kd4au said:

I'm not sure he will be completely removed, he will still have input don't you think?

I guess that is the question....seems that many posters here want Lindsey to be in total control.....I'm not sure that's possible and who knows where the line might be drawn. 

At a minimum, Gus should be involved in game planning (with Borges ?) but on the sidelines in a crucial moment?....:dunno:  If I were in his job and responsible  for the outcome, not sure I could sit by and let a young coach make a bad decision.    Should be an interesting season.

On 8/11/2017 at 5:33 PM, gctiger said:

I like CPD but if he's speaking the truth, then it doesn't sound like the offense will be ready on time and could likely impact the W-L record, potentially costing Gus his job.  I wish CPD could learn to temper his comments or at least the timing of them because I don't think he's doing the team any favors. 

FWIW WNSP Sports Radio in Mobile reported that the odds of Malzahn being fired this season are 17-1.  

I 'd bet The Vampire produced those odds. 

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

I guess that is the question....seems that many posters here want Lindsey to be in total control.....I'm not sure that's possible and who knows where the line might be drawn. 

At a minimum, Gus should be involved in game planning (with Borges ?) but on the sidelines in a crucial moment?....:dunno:  If I were in his job and responsible  for the outcome, not sure I could sit by and let a young coach make a bad decision.    Should be an interesting season.

JMHO, Gus has had trust issues the whole time he's been here.  How can he fully trust an OC that has never been in control of an SEC caliber offense? How can he trust his OC to make the right call in critical points during live game action?  

Neither Gus nor any HC in the business should be expected to step away from the area that his career was built on......Meyer wouldn't step a way from offense, Saban wouldn't step away from defense, Richt offense, Muschamp defense, McElwain offense, etc.  And Gus isn't going to back off the offense and totally turn it over to a relatively unknown OC until that OC has proven he can be trusted to manage his side of the ball and be productive.

These mediocre 7-8 win seasons won't cut it at Auburn, not when the program is consistently pulling top 10 ranked recruiting classes.  Gus has to be able to balance both and field teams that are in contention for championships.  He's got loads of talent, a deep and experienced roster, and he has HIS men on staff running the show - it's time show out!  WDE

Yep K...hard to have trust when some assistant can end up being the reason that you get fired from a the best job you ever had....or might ever have in the future.  

In the case of Lindsey, he's been the OC (if even briefly) for a Power 5 team......so that's something to consider.  And I would prefer that Liindsey does not feel like his coaching for his job with every forth and 2 feet at the 50 yard line.

16 hours ago, corchjay said:

I agree with Coach Dye that this might be the most talented in a while.  The 2004 team was very talented the 1988 team might have been the most talented in my life time.  My complaint is why is it needed to be said. Sure for entertainment on F'baum but how do you think Saban would feel if every year coach stallings set it up that he shouldn't lose a game.  Coach Dye himself should know how difficult that is.  

Agree completely. I wish Pat Dye would stay away from the media, Paul Finebaum specifically. Pat Dye has an impressive resume during his time at Auburn but I wish he would just be a fan now and not speak publicly about the team. 

23 hours ago, AU64 said:

Gus should have input in the game plan, especially the running game.  I'm also totally fine with him scripting the first 10 - 15 plays.  He's great at that also.  And coming up with trick plays.  As far as in game adjustments, and calling the plays after the script is empty, heck no!  He can decide 4th downs, 2pt conversions, FG attempts, punts, but let CL call the actual plays.

Archived