Derrick Brown has potential to be a force

WFE12

Derrick Brown has potential to be a force in the SEC

• by Michael Niziolek
(Photo: Michael Niziolek, 247Sports)
6_7477563.JPG

AUBURN, Ala — Rodney Garner sees shades of former pupils Richard Seymour and Marcus Stroud in sophomore Derrick Brown

Auburn’s defensive line coach is hoping to unlock Brown’s potential with the same advice he gave to the former NFLers who share a similar frame to the 6-foot-5, 319-pounder. 

“It’s very challenging for him to understand that I have to be conscientious of pad level every day,” Garner said. “Every snap I take I have to make a conscientious effort that makes sure I’m doing a great job of playing behind my pads. I know he gets tired of hearing that. I’m sure he’s having nightmares about it at night, but that’s just what he has to do.”

Brown is taking reps during preseason camp with the first team on the interior of the line between Dontavius Russelland Marlon Davidson. The Lanier alum (Ga.) had a backup role as a true freshman last season rotating at tackle and defensive end. He had 11 tackles (three solo) with a sack. 

Davidson knows better than anyone the progress Brown has made. 

“He used to stand up like a tree,” Marlon Davidson said. “  mean, he is, though. He's like 6-foot-6. I'm proud of Derrick for making that transition at d-tackle, because he was at end last year. The way he gets down low now, man.”

Brown is having a strong preseason camp, but Garner isn’t letting up on the “tough love” just yet. 

“He has to play behind his pads,” Garner said. “If he does then he is a force that a lot of people can’t deal. If he don’t? He neutralizes all that great talent that God blessed him with.”

Garner said the defender would also benefit from playing with more of a mean streak. 

“His personality is probably not as aggressive as, you know, Marlon or Jeff or that right there,” Garner said. “He's more in line with Dontavius. We've got to keep accelerating Derrick. He's a physical specimen. He can do whatever Derrick wants to do, so we really need him to embrace that role more and let that come out in his personality.”

4 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Thanks for posting WFE!  I don't think anything in that article surprises any of us. I look forward to DB fully realizing his potential!

I was a bit surprised that he compared him to Richard Seymour...Didn't even know he coached him.

He has the potential to be better than Monty.  I see All SEC for him in the not too distant future. Coach Garner is a tough coach that demands the best out of the best and I am proud he is on our defensive staff.

Hes got a great upside. He played well even standing straight up last year. 

I just love having big & athletic kids on the DL.  This kid looked pretty solid last year as a true freshman.  Hoping he worked really hard in the off season and takes his game to the next level...

5 minutes ago, Plainstalk said:

I just love having big & athletic kids on the DL.  This kid looked pretty solid last year as a true freshman.  Hoping he worked really hard in the off season and takes his game to the next level...

From everything I have read he seems to have continued to do all he can do to make himself a force to reckon with.:wareagle:

Archived