What questions does Stidham have left to answer?

aubiefifty

What questions does Jarrett Stidham have left to answer to officially win Auburn's QB job?

Updated on August 11, 2017 at 4:56 PM

3-4 minutes

As Jarrett Stidham prepares for Auburn's second scrimmage of fall camp, there are not many, if any, questions the former Baylor signal caller has to answer.

Gus Malzahn conceded Auburn's quarterback "competition" is not about learning more about Stidham, who has been at Auburn for 24 practices including four scrimmages as of Friday, but entirely about Sean White.

"A lot of it probably has to do with Sean White," Malzahn said. "He wasn't able to go through spring and he got a new offensive coordinator. So it's probably more the other way than it is about having enough information about Jarrett. (Monday's) scrimmage was big. Next Saturday's scrimmage will be big and we'll see where we're at."

While there was at least one touchdown pass to Nate Craig-Myers, what appeared to be a long pass to Ryan Davis and a drive capped with a scoring run from Kam Martin, Malzahn could not immediately cite a specific big play by a quarterback on Monday, saying "all three of them did some good things, but all three of them have numerous things to work on." However, White threw two interceptions in Monday's scrimmage, including one returned for a touchdown.

There is nobody inside the program questioning Stidham's abilities, which led to his plus-16 passing grade from Pro Football Focus in 2015, as he enters a fifth scrimmage for the Tigers during his time on the Plains.

"He's doing everything he's supposed to do (and offensive coordinator Chip) Lindsey has asked him," wide receiver Ryan Davis said. "He's just trying to improve every day and get better. That's all he's focused on right now: Trying to help his team anyway he can."

After Saturday's scrimmage, Stidham will have participated in 25 practices with five scrimmages at Auburn, of which 10 and two, respectively, have come this month. By comparison, it took Nick Marshall just 18 practices and three scrimmages all during fall camp to be named the starter before the 2013 season when that too was seen as inevitable.

Of course, Marshall didn't have spring practice, nor did Jeremy Johnson at that time. So too is the reasoning for the two-week look at White even after his two injury-plagued seasons as a starter.

But Malzahn has already guaranteed a starter would be named earlier than last year's competition, which took 21 practices of camp.

There will be three weeks until Auburn opens the season against Georgia Southern and while that's adequate in terms of preparation, only next week will be without players having to focus on classes, which begin at Auburn on Aug. 21.

Any extra time players want to put in on their own will have to come this week, which is perhaps most valuable for quarterbacks and receivers to build chemistry.

"That's really what it's about," wide receivers coach Kodi Burns said, "Letting these guys get reps, seeing what they can do, getting a feel for everybody. Then when we start to narrow things down, we'll get some time with the quarterbacks -- whoever that quarterback will be."

Correction: An earlier version of this story attributed an interception return for touchdown in Monday's scrimmage to Stidham that a source with knowledge of the situation confirmed was thrown by White, who threw both interceptions that day.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the hell so sean white threw the interceptions ? This is bizarre. Anyway hopefully after this scrimmage , we can have a clear cut leader 

I think Gus is being respectful to Sean and letting him compete. Sean was a leader and a good QB for us last year. I like that Gus isn't just giving his job to Jarret without a competition. It shows that he values solidarity with his team and respects his players. 

As for the question what does Stidham have to prove? Nothing to me, he proved it in the A-day game. I don't care when he is named the starting QB , but I think he will be the starter.

Bill Cameron is predicting we will know our depth chart on Monday. That's the only person in the media I've heard predict anything. 

What questions does Jarrett Stidham have left to answer to officially win Auburn's QB job?

Texas BBQ or Alabama BBQ....:popcorn:

Stidham has no questions left to answer.  He will be the starter.  Regardless of when we are told.  

At this point it's a dog and pony show.  1 QB is working with the entire playbook and working out what he does well and not well to lead the offense.  The other is doing drills that he does well to keep it close.  The 3rd is being done trial by fire bringing pressure and multiple looks to see how he handles it.  If you need me to label which QB is which you haven't been paying attention.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:01 AM, DAG said:

What the hell so sean white threw the interceptions ? This is bizarre. Anyway hopefully after this scrimmage , we can have a clear cut leader 

'In fact, there is little Malzahn is willing to say about Auburn's quarterbacks other than they've all "done a lot of good things" - without specifically citing any of those aforementioned things, like the details on several long touchdown passes - or acknowledging who threw any of the three interceptions in the two scrimmages. Sean White threw them all, according to a source with knowledge of the matter, but Malzahn denied having any recollection.'

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/08/gus_malzahn_not_ready_to_say_t.html

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I just feel bad for the crowd that vehemently believed Sean was gonna retain the job ever since we recruited Jarrett 

Why?  Apparently the injury excuse is still going to be available.

11 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

'In fact, there is little Malzahn is willing to say about Auburn's quarterbacks other than they've all "done a lot of good things" - without specifically citing any of those aforementioned things, like the details on several long touchdown passes - or acknowledging who threw any of the three interceptions in the two scrimmages. Sean White threw them all, according to a source with knowledge of the matter, but Malzahn denied having any recollection.'

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/08/gus_malzahn_not_ready_to_say_t.html

This is like a TV show. Thanks for the source. I know people say this won't matter, but it does matter. One of the biggest positives we had was QB 1A and 1B

The sooner people stop listening to and reading that buffoon the better.  Crepea doesn't ask the questions AU fans want to know.  He wants to try to create a circus, a controversy, dissident among the team.  He's the Jerry Springer of team beat writers.  

I'm not saying everything has to be sunshine and rainbows but dude was seriously in JJ6's face when he lost his position trying to get him to talk about coaches/players and even transferring.  Dude is a tool and the AU fan base needs better from a bham based website/newspaper.    

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I just feel bad for the crowd that vehemently believed Sean was gonna retain the job ever since we recruited Jarrett 

Are there actually people on this board who believe SW should start? Lol.. He is running 3rd as far as pecking order talent performance wise. As for the post JS has answered all he needs to accdg to coaches. He looked stellar at scrimmage yesterday but only played 1 or maybe 2 drives I can think of 1 with a 99 yard TD pass on money. Then he was taken out because we dont want to risk injury.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I have been told it's hard to find pork in Texas.

It's incredibly hard to find good pork here.  I typically have to make it myself if I want it done correctly.

But the brisket is top notch.

11 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Are there actually people on this board who believe SW should start? Lol.. He is running 3rd as far as pecking order talent performance wise. As for the post JS has answered all he needs to accdg to coaches. He looked stellar at scrimmage yesterday but only played 1 or maybe 2 drives I can think of 1 with a 99 yard TD pass on money. Then he was taken out because we dont want to risk injury.

I think we still have a few who think Tyler queen should start ..

Just now, lutzcammed said:

I think we still have a few who think Tyler queen should start ..

Lol he would prob be better option than SW...Nah jk. After all SW has done I am happy we will have a veteran qb in case of injury.

36 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I don't think there are any (if any) that feel SW should be the starter.

There are many on this board however, that are still backside hurt that Sean beat out Jeremy Johnson, and did a good job, (not Heisman Trophy great, but good) until he was injured.

This same crowd, simply can't let their internal, psychological, pain go.

I'm not talking about U personally but referring to a handful of close-minded posters. 

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I don't think there are any (if any) that feel SW should be the starter.

There are many on this board however, that are still backside hurt that Sean beat out Jeremy Johnson, and did a good job, (not Heisman Trophy great, but good) until he was injured.

This same crowd, simply can't let their internal, psychological, pain go.

SW was better than JJ no question. Not arm strength but everywhere else. I would even say SW was a bether runner. JJ ran scared at least SW put it all on the line.

6 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

SW was better than JJ no question. Not arm strength but everywhere else. I would even say SW was a bether runner. JJ ran scared at least SW put it all on the line.

If JJ and SW could only have switched bodies. JJ has the physical size and arm strength and SW has the toughness ans awareness.  

45 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's incredibly hard to find good pork here.  I typically have to make it myself if I want it done correctly.

But the brisket is top notch.

I mean even in grocery stores. a friend moved out near San Antonio. He and i both smoke butts often or used to then. He said not every grocery store carries them. just bacon and ham.

Archived