scrimmage updates?

gr82b4au

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

White doesn't have the "it" factor. Great guy just not our QB. 

Gus needs to kiss SW's ass every day.  White made the best of piss poor coaching from Gus and Rhett.

wde

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I would. He was a TF that put Bama ahead very late in the NC game. He has an arm, he has speed, and he has lots of years to get better. Higher ceiling. 

Jalen Hurts as a true freshman arguably put up better or equal numbers than NM, yet we got people saying he is overrated and never will make it lol. Can't make this stuff up. Either way, I think we need to quit this charade and call JS the starter. Let's start getting as many reps for our 1s and get a clear 2nd string QB.

If the team knows JS is the starter and Gus delays making it official, I can see that making them question Gus. He doesn't need that. He needs this team to trust him after what he did last year. 

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jalen Hurts as a true freshman arguably put up better or equal numbers than NM, yet we got people saying he is overrated and never will make it lol. Can't make this stuff up.

Hurts is a mediocre passer at best. He had three of the best receivers in the Nation to throw to last season and still fell short of Marshall in pass efficiency (139.12 < 151.09). Nope, you can't make it up. Had Marshall been substituted for Hurts last season, bammer would have scored a lot more points and likely would have beaten Clemson. Marshall, all day, every day, over Hurts, running and throwing. If Marshall can't make it in the league as a QB, neither will Hurts.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

You really think Georgia Southern is going to wonder who the starting QB is going to be ? 

What difference does it make if Gus states who the starter is publicly?  

We all know who it is going to be. I would bet money that every single player knew a week ago  who the starter is.

2 hours ago, WarEagle10 said:

It wouldn't bother me if they waited. I think we all know who the starter will be. Let Ga. Southern wonder.

If we're hiding our QB from GSU, (in the infamous words of Will Collier), I'll eat my game ticket...?

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Not sure if it is a matter of Ian finally showing up, or if he is just a shade above the others. From what I have seen of him, expect for inconsistent punting. Just hope it is not in crucial situations.

Well let's not plan on punting then!

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

If the team knows JS is the starter and Gus delays making it official, I can see that making them question Gus. He doesn't need that. He needs this team to trust him after what he did last year. 

Exactly...I admire the loyalty of the guys from that crapfest. Somebody had to voice their frustration. No more of the bull-jive Gus.

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Not sure if it is a matter of Ian finally showing up, or if he is just a shade above the others. From what I have seen of him, expect for inconsistent punting. Just hope it is not in crucial situations.

Probably about right. The Marshall kid was consistently hanging the ball at 4.5 all day and had one almost 5 but not quite the distance of Shannon. Shannon's hang time was everywhere from 4.1 to 4.8 and he hit one at 5.1 that was a beaut! His distances were also all over the place, but everything was over 40 yards.

Ian can bang it, but I think his biggest areas of concern are his hang time and getting good drops. If he can find something to keep his drops consistent and keep that hang time around 4.5 or better, he'll be one of the better punters in the SEC this year. 

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

There's a smart guy. Watch for more info on this exact subject this week. 

I know there was talk of some potential lingering shoulder issues back before and right after the bowl game. That possibly still the case?

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Gus needs to kiss SW's ass every day.  White made the best of piss poor coaching from Gus and Rhett.

wde

That's why I think this competition has gone on as long as it has and might continue to go on. It's respect to Sean IMO. 

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I just hope the coaches are not going to do like last year and carry on the QB tryouts into the season opener against Ga. Southern. 

not happening

2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Hurts is a mediocre passer at best. He had three of the best receivers in the Nation to throw to last season and still fell short of Marshall in pass efficiency (139.12 < 151.09). Nope, you can't make it up. Had Marshall been substituted for Hurts last season, bammer would have scored a lot more points and likely would have beaten Clemson. Marshall, all day, every day, over Hurts, running and throwing. If Marshall can't make it in the league as a QB, neither will Hurts.

Hurts was a true freshman last year. He has room to grow. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle10 said:

What difference does it make if Gus states who the starter is publicly?  

We all know who it is going to be. I would bet money that every single player knew a week ago  who the starter is.

Don't get pissy because people don't agree with your position . If he doesn't want to announce it to the public then fine but to not announce it because it might be a strategy against Georgia southern is silly.

2 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Hurts was a true freshman last year. He has room to grow. 

Don't speak common sense bro 

8 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Anyone there? 

I was there as I posted earlier.  First JS is the starter and it's not close. Kid had a very good day. I question who is number 2 SW or MW. MW Def looked like our number 2 qb today.

As for the post that said White had a good day I dont know where that info came from. White was average at best. Had 1 long TD drive. Should have been picked 2 times and imo MW should be our number 2. I know I will probably rethink that statement due to having a 4th year junior that is a veteran as a backup is a very good thing, but MW looks better to me as our number 2. Now this is a scrimmage...

One thing is certain JS is and will be our starter and will be very good.

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I was there as I posted earlier.  First JS is the starter and it's not close. Kid had a very good day. I question who is number 2 SW or MW. MW Def looked like our number 2 qb today.

The reason I don't think Malik is the #2 is because of his lack of game experience. He certainly performed well enough today to be the #2, but I'd be a little worried about him playing in a big game without any other experience. 

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I just hope the coaches are not going to do like last year and carry on the QB tryouts into the season opener against Ga. Southern. 

The try out is over, while it may not be publicly announced, the team knows who the starter is. 

42 minutes ago, boomstick said:

The reason I don't think Malik is the #2 is because of his lack of game experience. He certainly performed well enough today to be the #2, but I'd be a little worried about him playing in a big game without any other experience. 

Oh Def in coaches minds SW is number 2 atm. I was just giving my opinion. It also helps us with JF is SW stays #2.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Jalen Hurts as a true freshman arguably put up better or equal numbers than NM, yet we got people saying he is overrated and never will make it lol. Can't make this stuff up. Either way, I think we need to quit this charade and call JS the starter. Let's start getting as many reps for our 1s and get a clear 2nd string QB.

Hurts will struggle this year imo. He does struggle throwing the football there is no doubting that. Saban is looking to go back to his roots prior Kiffin aka AJ Ginger years of power football mixed with some spread. I don't think hurts can succeed in the 2008-2012 years Alabama offense.

Hurts had the best WR corps in the nation along with very good running backs and the best OL in the country last year. It is just my opinion but u believe he struggles this year.

9 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Hurts will struggle this year imo. He does struggle throwing the football there is no doubting that. Saban is looking to go back to his roots prior Kidron aka AJ Ginger years of power football mixed with some spread. I don't think hurts can succeed in the 2008-2012 years Alabama offense.

Hurts had the best WR corps in the nation along with very good running backs and the best OL in the country last year. It is just my opinion but u believe he struggles this year.

I really don't care if he struggles or not. I am more baffled at people calling him overrated and saying he won't make it after a very successful true freshman year. These same people worship NM feet, yet Jalen Hurts as a true freshman arguably has thrown the ball better than NM did in his whole tenure at AU.

giphy.gif

At the very least, let the kid play multiple years before you call him overrated. Be logical fans. Anywho, back to regular programming. Name JS the starter and let's let the team get behind him.

Archived