scrimmage updates?

gr82b4au

Hurts = OVERRATED ...........Everything he's done has been because of the players around him. Yes he's a freshman but my Grandmother could perform on that team and put up numbers. Put him on any other team in the SEC and he wouldn't have half the stats he put up last year. But keep on showing him love. Are you related to him?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am not going to admit anything. He played great as a true freshman. He did all they asked him to do. Stop hating on him. The kid has good character. Very humble. Does all the right things. He can't help with the media says about him. Like I said, half of you guys love NM, Yet he is putting up NM numbers as a TRUE FRESHMAN and you guys want to downplay it. It is a terrible state of mind. But I don't even want to get in this argument.

And Marshall was never the #1 QB in the SEC or even considered for a Heisman, but both things have been said about Hurts. I get your wanting to defend the kid, but the point I'm making, which you want to ignore, is the kid has nothing to do with how he's rated... that's all on the media, and there is no denying that the media has gone overboard, which is the cause of the backlash against him. Had they said something to the effect of what you have been saying, like "he performed well as a true freshman", no one would have batted an eye, but they decided to anoint him the Lamar Jackson of the SEC when there are several very talented QBS in the SEC

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

want to ignore, is the kid has nothing to do with how he's rated

I am not ignoring that at all. I am saying who cares? You get caught up with what the media thinks too much. It is like people getting mad at Lonzo Ball because of things his dad said. Who cares? If Jalen Hurts fails, then bash the guy. But why would you want to sit here and have backlash towards him because of the media? Sadly, some of you guys do it to JS, as well.  "Well, he played nobody in the big 12."  Some of you guys need to just enjoy talented individuals. Both JH and JS are very talented and showed glimpses of being special as true freshman, hence why they get the pub and media attention. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

And Marshall was never the #1 QB in the SEC

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/7/17/5912039/2014-sec-preseason-all-conference-teams-projected-standings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Southeastern_Conference_football_season

Not true

If we wouldn't have imploded in 2014, I am sure he would've taken Dak Prescott's position in the Heisman voting. Also, being considered is not the same thing as contention.  JH wasn't even in the top ten for Heisman voting. The truth of the matter is the SEC is relatively weak at QB and has been so since 2014. 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Like honestly, barring JS, out of all the QBs in the SEC, who would you take over JH? Austin Allen? But Austin Allen is an RS Senior. He is way more mature than JH.

Shea Patterson and it's not even close.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

I am not going to admit anything. He played great as a true freshman. He did all they asked him to do. Stop hating on him. The kid has good character. Very humble. Does all the right things. He can't help with the media says about him. Like I said, half of you guys love NM, Yet he is putting up NM numbers as a TRUE FRESHMAN and you guys want to downplay it. It is a terrible state of mind. But I don't even want to get in this argument.

Who gives a rats behind about bammers qb and what he does/did? And why the are you comparing a turd to a Auburn QB. Of course we are going to praise NM, he is an Auburn man. Talk bammers in the rivals forums 

Let's get back to talking about the scrimmage. Lots of whining and bickering going on in the last few pages. None of it makes for worth while reading. I could give a crap about Hurts, period. There should be a Rivals thread to argue about him. Let's talk AU here.

Lets talk Ol, DL, Lbers, Db's, kickers, punters, whose moving up the charts i.e. Prince W. 

11 hours ago, boomstick said:

Probably about right. The Marshall kid was consistently hanging the ball at 4.5 all day and had one almost 5 but not quite the distance of Shannon. Shannon's hang time was everywhere from 4.1 to 4.8 and he hit one at 5.1 that was a beaut! His distances were also all over the place, but everything was over 40 yards.

Ian can bang it, but I think his biggest areas of concern are his hang time and getting good drops. If he can find something to keep his drops consistent and keep that hang time around 4.5 or better, he'll be one of the better punters in the SEC this year. 

I love the details. Looks like it's firsthand or from good sources. In any event keep it coming.

8 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Yes he does. And he makes plays when they break down. And he scores when needed. He is a great College QB. But he'll never be more than a 3rd String NFL QB.

You never know. 

1 hour ago, AU Is Gold said:

You never know. 

In the words of the great Peter Griffin, "Oh my God. Who the hell cares???"

9 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

No. White needs to kiss the path Gus walks on to allow him to attend a SEC school when no other would allow him to. Gus' main fault was misjudging Johnson, which gave White the privilege, and I mean the privilege, of being an Auburn starting QB. That time has long since passed.

It's a two way street, Scotty2. As you mentioned, it was Gus' fault by misjudging Johnson, it was also Gus' fault for not developing White in his True Freshmen year.  QB development has been Gus' Achilles heel and if it weren't for SW's drive and determination, Gus would be looking for a job right now.

Gus didn't trust SW even when he named him the starter either in 2015 or 2016.  So much so that Gus came up with the game plan he did with Clemson in the first game of the 2016 season.  That would work on anybody, but SW's drive and determination kept his head in the game and he didn't give up.  If SW's head was not in the right place, the 2016 campaign would have been Gus' last at Auburn.

SW's physical ability may not be the best, but it was good enough to bridge the gap in QB talent from 2015 to 2017 to allow Gus to work out of his own doing in QB evaluation of talent.  So, yes, Gus should kiss SW's a$$ every day for the ability to be Head Coach at Auburn University.  JMO, I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Auskip said:

I love the details. Looks like it's firsthand or from good sources. In any event keep it coming.

Luckily, I got to go. There was so much going on I couldn't watch or remember it all, and I didn't want to bust out a notepad. I figured that would've been frowned upon. But punters was one thing that was singled out that I was really interested in. 

Something nobody has mentioned here regarding SW's future. If JS has the kind of year some believe he will, he could be a one and done. This leaves SW as a 5th year senior with a real shot at starting again. I know we have Malik and others in the pipeline, but SW may stick around for that scenario. Thoughts?

50 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

In the words of the great Peter Griffin, "Oh my God. Who the hell cares???"

Some obviously do. Was just trying to bring some logic to to a conversation. I'm not the one that ever brought Jalen Hurts up. 

36 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It's a two way street, Scotty2. As you mentioned, it was Gus' fault by misjudging Johnson, it was also Gus' fault for not developing White in his True Freshmen year.  QB development has been Gus' Achilles heel and if it weren't for SW's drive and determination, Gus would be looking for a job right now.

Gus didn't trust SW even when he named him the starter either in 2015 or 2016.  So much so that Gus came up with the game plan he did with Clemson in the first game of the 2016 season.  That would work on anybody, but SW's drive and determination kept his head in the game and he didn't give up.  If SW's head was not in the right place, the 2016 campaign would have been Gus' last at Auburn.

SW's physical ability may not be the best, but it was good enough to bridge the gap in QB talent from 2015 to 2017 to allow Gus to work out of his own doing in QB evaluation of talent.  So, yes, Gus should kiss SW's a$$ every day for the ability to be Head Coach at Auburn University.  JMO, I could be wrong.

I agree. You are wrong.

I would take NM everyday of the week over Hurts. 

Back to scrimmage though. My ratings as qbs I saw yesterday Stidham 1 MW 2 SW 3. I think SW will end up being back up unless JS was to get hurt so we can redshirt MW.

59 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is wrong. SW should thank Gus everyday for allowing him to still compete for the starting spot. I am not going into detaIL but this is the truth. I am not attacking you or your statemental and apologize of it comes off that way.

I don't believe SW will be part of our football team next year. He will transfer after he graduates to try to play somewhere. SW has not told Gus this but it is my opinon and that of some other people.

Unless Willis is head and shoulders better than White, i think White will be the backup.

1. He has experience and if you need a QB to come in cold in the middle of a tight game on the road, you want someone who has been there before and knows the offense backwards/forwards. 

2. It allows us to redshirt Willis. 

However, if JS wasn't on this team, then i could see Willis being the starter. There's just no real benefit to putting Willis in that backup role right now. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Luckily, I got to go. There was so much going on I couldn't watch or remember it all, and I didn't want to bust out a notepad. I figured that would've been frowned upon. But punters was one thing that was singled out that I was really interested in. 

How do you (you being anyone) get to attend scrimmages? They aren't open to everyone, right? 

This is a totally serious question. 

I wonder if they'll wait to name the starter after first day of class.

what a bizarre thread.  The same SW arguments going on 2 years now it seems.  Why are we arguing how great a rivals player is?

id like to know how tega did?

how canella did?

how did our starting CB's look?

who was running 1st team at canter?

etc...

13 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

How do you (you being anyone) get to attend scrimmages? They aren't open to everyone, right? 

This is a totally serious question. 

Saturday's was open to scholly donors. It's an annual thing. My folks were there, as well.

Archived