scrimmage updates?

gr82b4au

30 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I've been long saying I don't think SW's shoulder is 100% right. I don't have any inside information at all but i've always thought that his shoulder was more hurt than we were led to believe and it was a thing where they thought rest would fix the problem but then he breaks his forearm. I for one wouldn't be the least surprised if he requires surgery. I could be totally wrong but just the way i've felt for the longest. 

you would be correct

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If SW is still injured then it might be time to shut it down . Get Malik as many reps with the second team

10 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

This is wrong. SW should thank Gus everyday for allowing him to still compete for the starting spot. I am not going into detaIL but this is the truth. I am not attacking you or your statemental and apologize of it comes off that way.

I don't believe SW will be part of our football team next year. He will transfer after he graduates to try to play somewhere. SW has not told Gus this but it is my opinon and that of some other people.

Don't take it wrong 23, I didn't say anything about SW's ability going forward, what I said was Gus should thank SW for Sean's drive and determination that bridged the talent gap between NM and JS.  If SW did not keep his head on straight, 2016 would have been a disaster; who else would have stepped up?

I'm expecting some great offense this year with the talent we have. 

1 hour ago, djg0017 said:

Which position group do you think we are thinnest at?

I'd say DT and Safety are pretty close to the top. At DT, it's Brown, Russell, A Williams, and then I guess Cowart. Maybe we could move a bigger DE inside if needed or one of the young guys can be forced into action. At safety, it's Trigga Tray, Stephen Roberts, Nick Ruffin, and Daniel Thomas (who was in a sling with a cast on his lower arm Saturday). IMO there are more options at safety. Jason Smith, the freshmen, maybe a guy playing CB/Nickel right now like Dinson. I don't think we have the same options at DT. 

18 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I'd say DT and Safety are pretty close to the top. At DT, it's Brown, Russell, A Williams, and then I guess Cowart. Maybe we could move a bigger DE inside if needed or one of the young guys can be forced into action. At safety, it's Trigga Tray, Stephen Roberts, Nick Ruffin, and Daniel Thomas (who was in a sling with a cast on his lower arm Saturday). IMO there are more options at safety. Jason Smith, the freshmen, maybe a guy playing CB/Nickel right now like Dinson. I don't think we have the same options at DT. 

I agree with this. Jackson transferring hurt the depth chart talent wise and the recruiting cycle just didn't have many options for immediate impact guys at DT. Really be nice if Cowart emerged. Haven't heard much at all about Jaunta'vius Johnson, but it'd be nice to see him elevate into the rotation as well.

11 hours ago, AUTigerTime said:

Unless Willis is head and shoulders better than White, i think White will be the backup.

1. He has experience and if you need a QB to come in cold in the middle of a tight game on the road, you want someone who has been there before and knows the offense backwards/forwards. 

2. It allows us to redshirt Willis. 

However, if JS wasn't on this team, then i could see Willis being the starter. There's just no real benefit to putting Willis in that backup role right now. 

Personally, I'd prefer to burn Willis' redshirt immediately and get him some mop-up duty whenever possible through the season. If he is needed in 2018, I don't want his first snaps to be against Washington in the kickoff classic.  Not exactly sure what we have to gain by redshirting him. 

36 minutes ago, boomstick said:

That's what I'm thinking as well. I've heard great things about the freshmen safeties, and AU doesn't play a ton of sets with two true safeties right? I'm kinda thinking DT being a safe position relies on Byron's ability to pass rush from the inside like he was supposed to from the outside.

1 hour ago, djg0017 said:

AU doesn't play a ton of sets with two true safeties right? .

Most of the time there are 3 on the field at the same time.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Safety

I'll respectfully disagree, and say punter, though it's close and safety is more important, if only for the number of plays and likelihood of *Edit injurie(s). 

On 8/12/2017 at 7:13 PM, auburnphan said:

The try out is over, while it may not be publicly announced, the team knows who the starter is. 

I am certainly glad to hear that. I didn't really think Gus would treat the QB situation the same for this years opener. But then, I didn't think he would do it last year. Look forward to seeing JS in action when it counts:wareagle:

11 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Personally, I'd prefer to burn Willis' redshirt immediately and get him some mop-up duty whenever possible through the season. If he is needed in 2018, I don't want his first snaps to be against Washington in the kickoff classic.  Not exactly sure what we have to gain by redshirting him. 

You make a good point, but if JS were to stay 2 years,I would rather redshirt MW.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

You make a good point, but if JS were to stay 2 years,I would rather redshirt MW.

Even if Stidham returns, I'd still rather have a backup who has some experience in case of injury. If White were 100% it might be a different story, but if his shoulder isn't 100% then we can't even count on him as a backup. 

I know you can't count on future recruiting/signings, but it sounds like more help may be coming in the next few years. I don't think we will need Willis to start for 3-4 years. Given the overall picture, I'd play him for a drive or two in week 1 vs Southern. 

3 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Even if Stidham returns, I'd still rather have a backup who has some experience in case of injury. If White were 100% it might be a different story, but if his shoulder isn't 100% then we can't even count on him as a backup. 

I know you can't count on future recruiting/signings, but it sounds like more help may be coming in the next few years. I don't think we will need Willis to start for 3-4 years. Given the overall picture, I'd play him for a drive or two in week 1 vs Southern. 

You never know about these things MW could be better than anyone that comes later, if we even get them ,in that case it would be nice to have him for 3 or 4 years. We might could get by with SW if some happened to JS, but lets hope nothing happens to him.

On 8/13/2017 at 0:29 AM, DAG said:

I stand corrected.

If we wouldn't have imploded in 2014, I am sure he would've taken Dak Prescott's position in the Heisman voting. 

I don't know about this. Dak has always been better QB. Nick, was just perfect for the system he was in.  After all, Dak is now the starting QB for the Cowboys and Nick is a special teams/db/practice squad player looking for a team.

Also, being considered is not the same thing as contention.  JH wasn't even in the top ten for Heisman voting.

Yes, that's exactly my point... he wasn't even top 10, yet he was being touted as a Heisman contender throughout the end of last season, and is often brought up this year as a pre-season contender. That's what people mean when they say he is overrated.  The aren't saying he's a bad person or even a bad player, they are just saying the hype surrounding him doesn't match up to what he's shown on the field to this point. That's what overrated means.  It doesn't mean the player is bad, it means they are getting too much credit.

Sadly, some of you guys do it to JS, as well.

It's a similar situation, but when people do it to Stidam, what they are doing is tempering their own expectations and trying to temper the expectations of others.  It's true that Stidham doesn't have the resume to anoint him the next great thing.  He might be... we all hope he is... but to call it before he even takes a snap for us is premature.

If Jalen Hurts fails, then bash the guy. But why would you want to sit here and have backlash towards him because of the media?

I'm never going to bash a kid for playing badly.  I am, however, going to reserve the right to talk about a player being overhyped, mostly because when that happens, players who deserve hype aren't getting it. This whole situation is a prime example. Hurts is getting all of the love in the world while Nick Fitzgerald, who had almost identical overall numbers to Hurts last year, better numbers in some areas, not as good in others, and the best he gets is "looks like that Fitzgerald kid might be good" and ranked 4th to Hurts 1st. The really sad thing is that Fitzgerald may be one of the best QBs in the nation and he's never going to get as much love as he would if he were on a different team, because Mississippi State is not going to contend for any titles. 

11 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Agree completely. Nothing to be gained by redshirting. Get him as many snaps as possible this year.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I stand corrected.

I don't know about this. Dak has always been better QB. Nick, was just perfect for the system he was in.  After all, Dak is now the starting QB for the Cowboys and Nick is a special teams/db/practice squad player looking for a team.

Yes, that's exactly my point... he wasn't even top 10, yet he was being touted as a Heisman contender throughout the end of last season, and is often brought up this year as a pre-season contender. That's what people mean when they say he is overrated.  The aren't saying he's a bad person or even a bad player, they are just saying the hype surrounding him doesn't match up to what he's shown on the field to this point. That's what overrated means.  It doesn't mean the player is bad, it means they are getting too much credit.

It's a similar situation, but when people do it to Stidam, what they are doing is tempering their own expectations and trying to temper the expectations of others.  It's true that Stidham doesn't have the resume to anoint him the next great thing.  He might be... we all hope he is... but to call it before he even takes a snap for us is premature.

I'm never going to bash a kid for playing badly.  I am, however, going to reserve the right to talk about a player being overhyped, mostly because when that happens, players who deserve hype aren't getting it. This whole situation is a prime example. Hurts is getting all of the love in the world while Nick Fitzgerald, who had almost identical overall numbers to Hurts last year, better numbers in some areas, not as good in others, and the best he gets is "looks like that Fitzgerald kid might be good" and ranked 4th to Hurts 1st. The really sad thing is that Fitzgerald may be one of the best QBs in the nation and he's never going to get as much love as he would if he were on a different team, because Mississippi State is not going to contend for any titles. 

I am done with this bro. JS been named the starting QB. As far as I am concerned, I am rooting for the #1 SECQB. Onto bigger and better things.

Archived