Braden Smith Spotlight

WFE12

12768891.jpeg
Braden Smith shakes hands with Ken Rice while receiving the Ken Rice Award on A-Day for being Auburn's best blocking lineman in 2016.
Aug. 13, 2017

By Brandon Gann
AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. - All-America offensive lineman Braden Smith, an Olathe, Kansas, native, says a combination of the football program and the university itself drew him to be a Tiger.

“When I first came down here, it really had that family atmosphere,” Smith said. “I was really comfortable when I took my visit.”

That feeling was so impactful, Auburn was Smith’s only visit during the entire recruiting process, and Auburn has continued to be a fit for him. Smith has earned all-SEC team honors over the past two seasons, and second and third team All-America honors in 2016.

“Everybody’s got each other’s backs, not just when you’re here, but afterwards, when you’re an alum,” Smith said. “Everybody’s always going to be connected. I’m especially close with people on the [offensive] line. I feel like I’ll keep connected with them throughout life.”

It seemed like just yesterday that Smith came to Auburn and went through his first drills, and now he’s a senior.

“It flew by fast, that’s for sure. I’m basically the old man now,” Smith said.

The exercise science major wants to set an example of how to go through the process of being both a top-tier football player and a standout student to his younger teammates.

“Don’t take it easy your first year. Get after it,” he said. “Me being a freshman, I got onto the field early. I didn’t mess around with that.”

Smith still has his eyes on the future, with big goals for both himself and his teammates.

“Winning championships. Winning the SEC and the national championship, and playing the best I can play,” he said of the upcoming season. “I think we have all of the components to put something together.” 

spacer.gif

Once he leaves Auburn, Smith aspires to make it to the NFL and to physical therapy school one day, but he will always be grateful for his time spent among the Auburn Family.

“Thank you for everything,” Smith said. “I’ve always felt welcome here, and keep doing what you’re doing.”

Brandon Gann was a student assistant with Auburn Athletics Communications during the spring semester.

I said at the time he was recruited he was my number one player I wanted in that class and he hasn't disappointed.

59 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I said at the time he was recruited he was my number one player I wanted in that class and he hasn't disappointed.

Yep it seemed like yesterday when we were going crazy over his bench press numbers. 

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Yep it seemed like yesterday when we were going crazy over his bench press numbers. 

I'm calling it now...he'll break the bench press record at the NFL combine

58 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

"No doubt"

14 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Not saying you are wrong, but 'max bench weight' does not always equal 'more reps' with less weight.  There is a lot more to that.

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

Not saying you are wrong, but 'max bench weight' does not always equal 'more reps' with less weight.  There is a lot more to that.

You're right! I do powerlifting so I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm still thinking he'll hit 225 for more reps than anybody else has ever before. It's impressive to me because his arms are so long. A lot of guys with long arms struggle on bench compared to shorter & stockier guys. He just has unreal brute strength

22 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I believe the record for OL is 49 reps. I cannot see Braden doing 50. And he is my 'Man Crush'

Gotta love this young man. I hope he plows and pancakes a lot of defenders this season.

Archived