Love this old AU MAG cover!

GwillMac6

au.jpg

I stumbled upon this pic last night and thought it was appropriate to share with the board since our LBers certainly are the best they have been as a unit since this era when these 2 STUDS roamed the middle. WAR EAGLE!!! Love that Twill said he wants AU to be LB U! So appropriate that Twill would be the one to make this happen.

I remember that cover very well.  Following the 2002 season where the team seemed to improve every game and upset Bama, I along with most of the AU fan base felt that 2003 would be our year.  In my opinion this was the most talented team EVER at Auburn.  I said most talented but far from the best.  This was this worst year of coaching EVER.  Petrino had moved on to Louisville and our offense was impotent.  We had Ronnie Brown, Cadillac and Jason Campbell and could not move the football.  The defense (with the pictured Dansby and Thomas) played lights out but the offense was terrible.  The hiring of Al Borges turned things around, he came to Auburn and had to wonder why not put Cadillac and Ronnie Brown in the game at the same time and along with much better play calling 2004 will go down as one of the best seasons ever

12 minutes ago, Plainstalk said:

I remember that cover very well.  Following the 2002 season where the team seemed to improve every game and upset Bama, I along with most of the AU fan base felt that 2003 would be our year.  In my opinion this was the most talented team EVER at Auburn.  I said most talented but far from the best.  This was this worst year of coaching EVER.  Petrino had moved on to Louisville and our offense was impotent.  We had Ronnie Brown, Cadillac and Jason Campbell and could not move the football.  The defense (with the pictured Dansby and Thomas) played lights out but the offense was terrible.  The hiring of Al Borges turned things around, he came to Auburn and had to wonder why not put Cadillac and Ronnie Brown in the game at the same time and along with much better play calling 2004 will go down as one of the best seasons ever

lol this just made me sad and also very MAD at how BADLY mismanaged 03 was because of all the reasons you laid out above!

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

au.jpg

I stumbled upon this pic last night and thought it was appropriate to share with the board since our LBers certainly are the best they have been as a unit since this era when these 2 STUDS roamed the middle. WAR EAGLE!!! Love that Twill said he wants AU to be LB U! So appropriate that Twill would be the one to make this happen.

That cover irritates me to no end..................

image.pngImage result for hugh nall auburn

I was there in JHS  with high expectations on that sweltering Saturday evening when #6 Auburn faced off against the USC Trojans with a new starting QB (Leinart).  It didn't long for reality to set in and my hopes (and the hopes of many of us) to be dashed.  I'm not sure whether Nallsminger or Loeffler was the worst season on offense in Auburn football history.

49 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I was there in JHS  with high expectations on that sweltering Saturday evening when #6 Auburn faced off against the USC Trojans with a new starting QB (Leinart).  It didn't long for reality to set in and my hopes (and the hopes of many of us) to be dashed.  I'm not sure whether Nallsminger or Loeffler was the worst season on offense in Auburn football history.

I was living in Phoenix, AZ at that time. The only solace I got from that loss is there was no one to give me any grief.:angry:

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That cover irritates me to no end..................

image.pngImage result for hugh nall auburn

He is just so happy gorgeous borges saved him his job in 04! haha

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

au.jpg

I actually have this magazine cover as a big framed poster in my man cave. I prefer to think of these times as "wow look at our beastly LB unit" rather than "yikes we were supposed to be really good that year".

This was before social media and the excess of "media" online so this type of national love was really cool to me back then. I mean our LBers were on the cover of ESPN the mag after we had accomplished what? A solid 8 or 9 win season?

But yikes I gotta think Nallsminger collectively felt like this giphy.gif when thinking back to that season and how Borges took that offensive mess and turned it into a beauty. Also Chizik probably feels similarly considering the team he led was the worst in AU history and then Gus comes in and almost wins a national title in 12 months :laugh::laugh::laugh:

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I actually have this magazine cover as a big framed poster in my man cave. I prefer to think of these times as "wow look at our beastly LB unit" rather than "yikes we were supposed to be really good that year".

This was before social media and the excess of "media" online so this type of national love was really cool to me back then. I mean our LBers were on the cover of ESPN the mag after we had accomplished what? A solid 8 or 9 win season?

But yikes I gotta think Nallsminger collectively felt like this giphy.gif when thinking back to that season and how Borges took that offensive mess and turned it into a beauty. Also Chizik probably feels similarly considering the team he led was the worst in AU history and then Gus comes in and almost wins a national title in 12 months :laugh::laugh::laugh:

HAHAHAHAH this may be your best post ever and you have had so many great ones Tiger!!!

That's an  awesome cover. That picture of Tuberville jumping on Nall must have been after 1 of 6 wins in a row over that school in west Alabama. To bad this staff can't act like the old staff did for 6 years straight. 

41 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Im doing something similar for my man cave with mags, programs, etc, I have gotten over the years. Really wish I had this one.

14 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Im doing something similar for my man cave with mags, programs, etc, I have gotten over the years. Really wish I had this one.

I really wish now I would of SAVED all the mags, programs I have got over the years! haha talk about buyers remorse!!! Thankfully I have all the ones from the natty year in 2010.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I really wish now I would of SAVED all the mags, programs I have got over the years! haha talk about buyers remorse!!! Thankfully I have all the ones from the natty year in 2010.

My parents made sure we kept everything through the years. I even have all the ticket stubs for 03,04, and 10 that I know of. I still even have the complete 92 Dream Team figures lol

8 hours ago, triangletiger said:

It was African hot that day. Like to have died

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

It was African hot that day. Like to have died

That was the first game I ever attended and is still the most hot and miserable I have been at game, ever!

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

My parents made sure we kept everything through the years. I even have all the ticket stubs for 03,04, and 10 that I know of. I still even have the complete 92 Dream Team figures lol

That is what I call living right mav! That is how you do it right there sir. Go all in on it!

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

That is what I call living right mav! That is how you do it right there sir. Go all in on it!

Gotta give credit to my parents, had it been my obligation at that age no telling what would've happened to it lol

33 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Gotta give credit to my parents, had it been my obligation at that age no telling what would've happened to it lol

Shout out to mom and dad then! I rescind all my credit towards you and bestow it all on them! lol

8 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Nallsminger. And it's not even close.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Shout out to mom and dad then! I rescind all my credit towards you and bestow it all on them! lol

Amen....for many years I had almost all of the home programs (and some away)   from my time at AU 59-64 with those great Phil Neel covers.....then somewhere in one of my dozen moves, they were GONE..:angry:..and all that survived were my Gloms from those years which I still have....would trade them  for those programs any day.

An unlike my baseball card collection, I can't blame this on mom.....but maybe my former wife?   

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Amen....for many years I had almost all of the home programs (and some away)   from my time at AU 59-64 with those great Phil Neel covers.....then somewhere in one of my dozen moves, they were GONE..:angry:..and all that survived were my Gloms from those years which I still have....would trade them  for those programs any day.

An unlike my baseball card collection, I can't blame this on mom.....but maybe my former wife?   

YES!!! always blame it on the ex sir! That is always the right call! 

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Nallsminger. And it's not even close.

Um, no. '03 team and '12 team don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence. Granted, I wasn't following football in '03, so I don't remember the collective extreme disappointment of that season.

The two hottest games I've ever been to were Clemson '10 and Arkansas '14.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Um, no. '03 team and '12 team don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence. Granted, I wasn't following football in '03, so I don't remember the collective extreme disappointment of that season.

The two hottest games I've ever been to were Clemson '10 and Arkansas '14.

I'd argue that Nallsminger had 2x the talent that Loeffler had. Hence my opinion

^True. 2012 was doomed from the start, so while I still don't think he's an overly good coordinator, I'm gonna have to give Loeffler some leeway.

Archived