Byron Cowart

aubiefifty

We lost Jackson and do not need to lose any additional DTs.  Starting the season with a team we should be able to fine tune for the following game with Clemson.  I would hope that Byron could get some valuable playing time and a shot of confidence to make 2017 the kind of season where he contributes and grows into a solid DT. Who knows folks.....I thought Woody Barrett would be an excellent QB and that went down the drain as we all know.

We need to recruit some very good DTs to come in and play soon in the 2018 class. Some good 4 & 5 star big men that is.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Duly noted, but Barnett had to request and receive a special ruling in order to play in 2017.

Quick question....Since classes haven't started for AU or any JuCo's at this time, why would he have to request a waiver from the NCAA to play the 2018 year if he transfers to a JuCo immediately?  In other words, he'd sit out the 2017 year and would be eligible to play in 2018 at a D1 school, right?

I read earlier articles with players saying Cowart had his swagger back. I just find it hard to believe he has lost it all again. 

What kind of talent did he play against in high school? Was he that much better than everyone he didn't have to put out and has now found the going a lot tougher? It's hard to fathom a guy this talented has crashed and burned. He was not just a 5* recruit but the #1 recruit in the country.:dunno:

Here's the thing with Cowart- it's not like he is a bad defensive lineman. Cowart actually hasn't made a whole lot of mistakes or caused any big plays for the opposing offense at Auburn, we just haven't seen him actually produce. Even if he can fill a position and not take away any value, he's still worth a lot 

The kid hasn't learned how to get out of his own way.  My guess is the kid has very very thin skin ... snowflake-ish.  Garner's type of coaching doesn't suit him.  I'd imagine he easily has 5* talent IF he could have a 5* mindset.  My guess is the bulb won't turn on for him and his future may be better if he simply lets this be his last season, recognizes that football at this level isn't for him and finishes auburn with his degree and moves on with his future as a college grad outside of football.

college sports isn't for everyone regardless of physical ability.

I know very, very little about coaching.

That being said are Garner and Muschamp not similar in their styles? Both appear to be....abrasive and direct , maybe? 

If he is indeed a bit snowflakeish, I'm surprised that hasn't improved since he has been at AU for two years now...the mention of another player having to console him is bothersome. 

I was super excited when he came to AU and hope he has a fabulous season with us! 

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

I read earlier articles with players saying Cowart had his swagger back. I just find it hard to believe he has lost it all again. 

What kind of talent did he play against in high school? Was he that much better than everyone he didn't have to put out and has now found the going a lot tougher? It's hard to fathom a guy this talented has crashed and burned. He was not just a 5* recruit but the #1 recruit in the country.:dunno:

Pretty sure I remember reading about him his freshman year when he wasn't amounting to what we all expected from a top 5 star recruit.  He was basically able to just push kids around in high school and expected it to be similar at Auburn.  When he got here everybody was on his level or higher and then add the tough coaching of Garner to it and he didn't react well.

Sometimes the light kicks on and these blue chips guys with high expectations do work out.  Sometimes it doesn't and they fade in to obscurity. Either way, time is running out on him and seems like it's his choice as to which path he takes. 

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

If I recall, Cowart played almost exclusively as a Weak-Side DE in a 9-Technique as a pass rusher in high school. Given his size, he was projected as a Strong-Side DE, not Weak-Side DE. Supposedly when CWM was a UF, he recruited Cowart to play Buck based on what he saw in high school. But I guess CWM and CRG both decided to put Cowart at Strong Side based on our either our depth at Buck, or in the idea of creating a dream combo of Cowart and Lawson on the field at the same time.

Honestly, I don't think Cowart likes to take on and hold blocks, which is required of SDEs in 4-3 defenses. I think he wants to get around blockers and go after the QB. I don't think he ever adapted to the SDE position. However, the move would likely have happened wherever he went. He was likely to end up a 4-3 SDE, a 3-4 DE, or eventually, what has happened at AU, moved to the 3-Tech DT.

If he could embrace that role, with his size, he would project as either an NFL 4-3 3-Tech DT or a 3-4 DE. Even the idea of making him the 3-Tech in passing downs, where he gets to rush (abeit from the inside, fighting blockers) has not seemed to light a fire in him. He just does not seem to want it.

Just now, lutzcammed said:

so its safe to say he isn't transferring? 

I can't speak to his situation directly, like some others would. However, I have a hard time believing that he would transfer, unless there are some personal issues behind the scenes that are making it too difficult for him to be at Auburn or a part of the team. That might be true, I don't know. I just think his case is distinguished from someone like JFIII's because I think Cowart has what it takes physically to be an NFL lineman. I don't think that JFIII was ever going to be a good quarterback. If Cowart wants to make it to the NFL, he'll need to be pushed to get there. I would imagine that he knows that his path to the NFL is going to be the same regardless of where he plays and that ultimately Gardner wants what's best for him. Transferring just doesn't make sense to me. 

2 hours ago, AidiAU said:

I know very, very little about coaching.

That being said are Garner and Muschamp not similar in their styles? Both appear to be....abrasive and direct , maybe? 

If he is indeed a bit snowflakeish, I'm surprised that hasn't improved since he has been at AU for two years now...the mention of another player having to console him is bothersome. 

I was super excited when he came to AU and hope he has a fabulous season with us! 

Similar styles as in theyre both going to let you know when you screw up.  You would think he would have known what to expect here before hand, but some people don't react well to that coaching/teaching style.  Garner can't just baby him because he was a 5* and then chew out the next person.  Think its just going to come down on whether he wants it bad enough or not.  Hopefully the "light turns on" like another poster said.

I'm hoping, like so many others, the light comes on and he finally realizes his talent level. One other note, I'm glad it's Franklin and not Cowart transferring.

I think it will all come down to confidence for Byron.. Personally I think we should play him a ton in the opener. He would get a ton of opportunities to show he can do more than simply pass rush since GaSo will run so much. And if he gets a sack or two, it may really get his motor going. Obviously his talent and physicals are sky high.. He's still looking like a possible dud, but it could take one really productive game from him to boost his confidence and put it all together.

9 hours ago, keesler said:

Quick question....Since classes haven't started for AU or any JuCo's at this time, why would he have to request a waiver from the NCAA to play the 2018 year if he transfers to a JuCo immediately?  In other words, he'd sit out the 2017 year and would be eligible to play in 2018 at a D1 school, right?

That's the point. A player wouldn't if they did not play a snap in 2017. But in Barnett's case, he transferred after 4 games in, thus the special request for a waiver.

I'm hoping the light can turn on for him like Nick Fairley 2009 to 2010. Dude went from "Lacking effort" to dang near unblockable and it seems like it was simply changing his mentality. 

26 minutes ago, Piketiger1990 said:

I'm hoping the light can turn on for him like Nick Fairley 2009 to 2010. Dude went from "Lacking effort" to dang near unblockable and it seems like it was simply changing his mentality. 

If I remember right Fairly was diagnosed with sleep apnea and after treating that he became the  force  he did as a player.

31 minutes ago, Piketiger1990 said:

Yeah. Nick flashed what could be at times in 2009 (go back and watch that UGa game we blew if you can stand it, lol, and you'll see some of it) but ran hot all 2010. Hoping BC does the same, I think he's got the potential.

14 hours ago, kd4au said:

If I remember right Fairly was diagnosed with sleep apnea and after treating that he became the  force  he did as a player.

Nick was coached by a better DL coach.

wde

Just now, ausburn said:

Still don't like Coach G?

image.png

I just think we could do better as an on the field coach.

wde

2 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I just think we could do better as an on the field coach.

wde

What do you mean on the field? In-game? Or just as a position coach in general?

Archived