Byron Cowart

aubiefifty

Just now, Barnacle said:

What do you mean on the field? In-game? Or just as a position coach in general?

Position coach on the field in general.  I think RG is an average on the field coach.  He can be a very good recruiter.

wde

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUIH1 said:

Position coach on the field in general.  I think RG is an average on the field coach.  He can be a very good recruiter.

wde

I see what you meant now. Seems to be doing a good job developing some of our current young talent. He did a fine job with Adams and Lawson. Dee Ford had his best season as an Auburn tiger under Garner. I guess I don't have any reason to be disappointed in what he's done. 

5 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Seems to me that a player with his pedigree and physical capabilities should do fine with an "average" coach.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Seems to me that a player with his pedigree and physical capabilities should do fine with an "average" coach.

Sure, that is possible.  Still doesn't mean that we should accept mediocrity as a DL coach.  But RG is totally unfireable/untouchable no matter how average he is, because he "came home".

He is better than Mike Pelton was though.

wde

11 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Sure, that is possible.  Still doesn't mean that we should accept mediocrity as a DL coach.  But RG is totally unfireable/untouchable no matter how average he is, because he "came home".

He is better than Mike Pelton was though.

wde

I don't see where the mediocrity is? I'm not saying you're wrong. I just haven't seen someone explain why or how Garner is mediocre. On the other hand, he's coached some really good players into the NFL, and appears to be doing a fine job with the young talent that we have on our roster now. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I don't see where the mediocrity is? I'm not saying you're wrong. I just haven't seen someone explain why or how Garner is mediocre. On the other hand, he's coached some really good players into the NFL, and appears to be doing a fine job with the young talent that we have on our roster now. 

I have no problem agreeing to disagree.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

I have no problem agreeing to disagree.

wde

I'm not disagreeing with you. My mind is open. I'm asking what evidence you have to support your claim not because I want to argue with you, but because I only know what I know, and I'd rather base my opinions upon all of the information out there instead of operating out of ignorance or a lack of facts.

I'm not an insider. I'm not really that keen on defensive line coaching. I couldn't tell you anything other than what I've seen - that he's done a good job with guys like Ford, Lawson, Adams, Davidson, etc. Based on the way that those guys progressed under Garner, I can't say that he's mediocre. I'm genuinely curious why you say otherwise. 

I think some of the disdain for Garner comes from the fact that, over the majority of his tenure here, our DL pass rush has been mediocre for the majority of time. It's not like he has had a bare cupboard to work with either if you look at who the NFL has taken from our DLines but if we weren't bringing additional pressure the QB seemingly had enough time to make a sandwich in the pocket while there has been a tendency of our DL to be doing their best middle-school dance impression with the OL as nobody can get off a damn block. It was a little better this past year, but that seemed to deteriorate as the year went on -- but that could be just emotion talking.

BTW I'm not part of the #firegarner crowd. He's a top recruiter I just wish our DL could get a a little more consistent pressure on the QB

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

BTW I'm not part of the #firegarner crowd. He's a top recruiter I just wish our DL could get a a little more consistent pressure on the QB

Thanks for the response. That's exactly what I was asking for. 

I'm curious how much our lack of a quality pass rush has been affected by our lack of quality linebackers. For reference, we were 75th nationally in sacks last season, with the best linebacking corps we've had in several seasons. So, maybe not that much?

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm curious how much our lack of a quality pass rush has been affected by our lack of quality linebackers. For reference, we were 75th nationally in sacks last season, with the best linebacking corps we've had in several seasons. So, maybe not that much?

Good stuff. Kinda felt like we relied a little too heavily on Carl last season despite having a pretty deep rotation. I'm hoping this season having a few options from the Buck will help some. Not saying that any one player will be more effective than Carl, but having 3 players with 3 different sets of pass rush moves may be an advantage. 

Just now, djg0017 said:

Good stuff. Kinda felt like we relied a little too heavily on Carl last season despite having a pretty deep rotation. I'm hoping this season having a few options from the Buck will help some. Not saying that any one player will be more effective than Carl, but having 3 players with 3 different sets of pass rush moves may be an advantage. 

No doubt. I must have a short memory, because I didn't recall us being so poor in the pass rush last season. @AUIH1 75th nationally is pretty mediocre considering what we had on the roster. 

15 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

75th is definitely underwhelming considering we had 2 NFL bound seniors on the DL IMO

49 minutes ago, Tiger said:

75th is definitely underwhelming considering we had 2 NFL bound seniors on the DL IMO

You're definitely right, but my guess is that 5 more sacks could've moved us into the 40th range. Last year seems like there were lots of near-sacks either due to a penalty or just a QB somehow shaking it off. So while 75th is pretty bad for sack totals I think our overall pass rush was closer to the 40-50th best. Obviously that needs to be much better still. I think we increase sacks and have an overall better pass rush this year IMO.

The big difference is that we are asking our DTs to hold gaps and free up LB. They aren't playing the same type of technique they did during the dye/tubs era.

5 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I recall that we did pretty well getting pressure on the QBs we faced but that we (i.e., Lawson) had trouble closing the deal.

I remember it this way, also. Particularly in the bowl game. 

We cheat, RG is a terrible coach, posters with insider info are wrong, etc. is all that "AUI know everything and Auburn sucks" can post. He must be a miserable fan, if he isn't actually a troll.

1 hour ago, djg0017 said:

Agree. This is why i actually think our DL will be even better this year than last year. I think we did depend on Mon and Carl heavily. Mon was a beast for sure and although i think Lawson was certainly good there were some weaknesses. It seems with this years' DL there really good talent that's more spread out on the DL and where we can bring pressure....especially if we can get a consistent pass rush with our ends. The DL has the ability to wreck havoc inside and outside. It will not be just one or two players that have the ability to dominate. 

I also remember QBs constantly stepping up or rolling out. Very rarely did we get sacks by just completely trapping QB. I guess what I mean by that is that Carl, Mon, and Marlon rarely all brought good pressure on the same play. There was always somewhere for the QB to go. Obviously that's a lot to expect from a DL but it's necessary to have that capability.

How many really good pass rushers did bama have playing on their front seven last year. Hopefully, those being counted on to provide a pass rush will realize with both Carl and Montana both gone they will have to dial it up several notches.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The big difference is that we are asking our DTs to hold gaps and free up LB. They aren't playing the same type of technique they did during the dye/tubs era.

Yep. And combined with sub par LBs, it makes the D Line look incompetent. Not totally Garner's fault.

16 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Yep. And combined with sub par LBs, it makes the D Line look incompetent. Not totally Garner's fault.

I wouldn't call our LBs sub par. One of the best groups in the sec actually 

Like Saban said today, sacks can be overrated. Affecting the QB is the most important. Pressures & knock downs add up, too. 

Pretty obvious that consistent pressure can lead to more INTs.

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I wouldn't call our LBs sub par. One of the best groups in the sec actually 

Starting last year. My reference was before that. This year they're a strength, no doubt.

Archived